OGXbox.com

Running other dashboard as an app

Swirlygiver

Yes as long as it is installed correctly and in particular its XBE (which maybe evoxdash.xbe or similar if your file source is a main dash installer) is simply changed to "default.xbe" (no quotation marks of course). You'll probably need to reboot to get it working from Programs/Apps or wherever you have it installed.

If it is still not working check that it is only in a one level folder ie. UnleashX/default.xbe. The UnleashX default.xbe is actually all you need in the folder as it will automatically generate its own config.xml and item.xml when it is first used.

The config.xml is a default one and doesn't have all the bells and whistles you'll find with the usually highly customised config.xml used by a dashboard installer. However you can copy in such a config.xml replacing the default one if you so wish. 

If you use UnleashX as your main dash it has a controller/remote shortcut facility which allows you to assign almost any controller or remote button to launch any XBE.

You can have it set up to launch any dashboard you like - you just hold down the assigned button on boot or reboot.

I've not used it but there is a XSelect tool that gives you a launch option menu rather than a main dash.

https://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutorials-239.html

Don't really see the point of it TBH. You might as well install other dashes as apps launched from your primary dashboard or use the UnleashX controller/remote shortcut facility I described instead.

Rocky5's dashloader for a hardmodded console does this too.

You can configure the 8 main buttons; A, B, Y, X, Back, Start, White, and Black; on the controller to a different dashboard to start when held on power on.

The hard modded version of Rocky5's dashloader is provided with the unofficially patched iND-BiOS 5003 release:

IND-BIOS 5003 Shutdown+Ram Patched+XBL Enabled.zip - Google Drive

This patched BIOS fixes a few bugs that exist in the original 5003 release and allows Xbox Live packets to be sent for when Insignia becomes available - the homebrew Xbox Live replacement soon-to-be-released (when? when it's done...).

Note: To use the dashloader, you do not have to use iND-BiOS.  The dashloader is named evoxdash.xbe and replaces that file on your hard modded Xbox's C drive. (REMINDER: you do need a replacement dashboard on the hard drive at one of the locations listed below.)

Most modified Xbox BIOSes check for that file, C:\evoxdash.xbe, first in their boot order list.  

Rocky5's dashloader has its own much longer boot order list than a modified BIOS.  It is used to load the actual replacement dashboard installed on the hard drive unless you hold a button on the controller that has been configured to load a specific dashboard.  The first file found in the following list becomes your default dashboard:

• C:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • C:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • E:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • F:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • C:\dash\default.xbe
  • E:\dash\default.xbe
  • F:\dash\default.xbe
  • E:\default.xbe
  • E:\dashboard.xbe
  • E:\evoxdash.xbe
  • C:\XBMC.xbe
  • E:\XBMC.xbe

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 11:21 PM, Swirlygiver said:

Is it possible to run say UnleashX as an App in XBMC4GAMERS? I tried it, and it seems like it’s trying to load but doesn’t. 

Yes but why?

I copied Avalaunch, Unleash, MSdash to f:/apps

You need to change the avalaunch.xbe to default.xbe and the same with the others and they appear slow to load.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Yes but why?

I copied Avalaunch, Unleash, MSdash to f:/apps

You need to change the avalaunch.xbe to default.xbe and the same with the others and they appear slow to load.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

If these dashboards are trying to reach out to sites that don't exist anymore for things like RSS feeds, backgrounds, music... they will take FOREVER to load. 
The first load up of unleashx extracts a zip file contained within the xbe that has the default skin in it and caches several items. So that can cause slowdown. 
XBMC has been the most well maintained and as such is generally the fastest for me.

On 9/19/2021 at 11:40 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Rocky5's dashloader for a hardmodded console does this too.

You can configure the 8 main buttons; A, B, Y, X, Back, Start, White, and Black; on the controller to a different dashboard to start when held on power on.

The hard modded version of Rocky5's dashloader is provided with the unofficially patched iND-BiOS 5003 release:

IND-BIOS 5003 Shutdown+Ram Patched+XBL Enabled.zip - Google Drive

This patched BIOS fixes a few bugs that exist in the original 5003 release and allows Xbox Live packets to be sent for when Insignia becomes available - the homebrew Xbox Live replacement soon-to-be-released (when? when it's done...).

Note: To use the dashloader, you do not have to use iND-BiOS.  The dashloader is named evoxdash.xbe and replaces that file on your hard modded Xbox's C drive. (REMINDER: you do need a replacement dashboard on the hard drive at one of the locations listed below.)

Most modified Xbox BIOSes check for that file, C:\evoxdash.xbe, first in their boot order list.  

Rocky5's dashloader has its own much longer boot order list than a modified BIOS.  It is used to load the actual replacement dashboard installed on the hard drive unless you hold a button on the controller that has been configured to load a specific dashboard.  The first file found in the following list becomes your default dashboard:

I’m going to have to check that out.  Is it just that simple: edit the button cfg files, then put the folder and the evoxdash.xbe on C:?

Is there a way to edit the default dash order list?

10 hours ago, Swirlygiver said:

I’m going to have to check that out.  Is it just that simple: edit the button cfg files, then put the folder and the evoxdash.xbe on C:?

Yes

Is there a way to edit the default dash order list?

I believe you can. Download the source code for the dashloader, edit the list and rebuild the application.

Download the Code ZIP archive from Rocky5's Xbox-Softmodding-Tool github.com repository (download link).  You'll need Visual Studio 2003, etc. to be able to compile the code found in the extracted content of the ZIP in the subfolder:

• Xbox-Softmodding-Tool/App Sources/Shortcut xbe's/Dashloader/

Noob here with a soft modded (Rocky5) Xbox. I currently have Unleash as my default, and I would like to run XBMCEmustation as an application. Would anyone be kind enough to write out how I could achieve that? I managed to install XBMCEmustation as my default Dash on top of Unleash, but decided to rename Emustation's .xbe to .bak in order to get back to Unleash. How would I go about changing things to make Emustation as a launch as an app when I want to use emulators instead of Xbox games?

8 hours ago, Technics said:

Noob here with a soft modded (Rocky5) Xbox. I currently have Unleash as my default, and I would like to run XBMCEmustation as an application. Would anyone be kind enough to write out how I could achieve that? I managed to install XBMCEmustation as my default Dash on top of Unleash, but decided to rename Emustation's .xbe to .bak in order to get back to Unleash. How would I go about changing things to make Emustation as a launch as an app when I want to use emulators instead of Xbox games?

Instead of installing XBMC-Emustation to the root folder of the C, E, or F drive where the softmod looks to load it, move the XBMC-Emustation folder to E:\Apps or F:\Apps.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Technics said:

Wow, I didn't know it could be that simple. Hadn't crossed my mind. Thank you kindly!

Yes, simple. :)  Most replacement dashboards build an Applications menu by scanning for the default.xbe file in folders one-level below the C:\apps, E:\apps, F:\apps and/or G:\apps folder.  (Note: This operation depends upon the replacement dashboard's menu settings found in its configuration file - evox.ini for evoxdash, config.xml for UnleashX, etc.)

Xbox Softmodding Tool Default Dashboard

Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool has a long boot order list.  The first entry found on the hard drive becomes the default dashboard:

• C:\evoxdash.xbe

If a file is not found, the boot loader attempts to run the next entry on the list. 

If found, it runs; otherwise, the next down the list is attempted. Repeat...

Therefore, to make an xbe file further down the list become the default dashboard, make sure that all of the files listed above it are not found - rename the folder or xbe file(s) so higher priority xbe entries are not found on the hard drive.