OGXbox.com

No Video or Audio Output

psnap777

Hi Guys. I recently picked up a Halo Edition Original Xbox that has not been modded. It is completely stock. It powers on and has a solid green light around the eject button, however the drive will not eject and it does not output video or audio. I have tried both component cables as well as composite cables that work with another Xbox. I have also searched the web for help but have not come up with anything. Do you guys  have any ideas as to what could be wrong? Could I possibly have bad video and audio output chips?

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you might have.

What version is it, a 1.4 or 1.6?  

Leaky clock cap could damage traces that are preventing the tray ejection.  Or it has a Samsung drive that is notorious for the eject not working.  The belt gets stretched from a bad design (too strong of a magnet holds the disc clamp to the drive spindle.  The force required to pull the two apart is so great the belt wears out quicker than on the other brand drives used in the Xbox.

Coma console, no audio/video with green lit eject ring, is a symptom seen in 1.0/1.1 consoles with a TSOP BIOS problem.

Edited by KaosEngineer

It is either a 1.4 or a 1.5. It was manufactured on 2004-02-12 and it has a Focus video encoder. It also has a Philips dvd drive. I have taken it apart and the board seems to be in good condition. It does look like the clock capacitor leaked mostly on the bottom of the board, but I didn't seen any trace corrosion. I'm stumped with this one. Is the power supply compatible with any board 1.2 to 1.5 if I decide to just replace the board? It seems like the same connector was used for those revisions.

Is the power supply compatible with any board 1.2 to 1.5 if I decide to just replace the board? It seems like the same connector was used for those revisions.

Yes, v1.2-1.4/5 use the same power supply.

Part of the BIOS in the 256KB TSOP may be corrupt.  There's enough to boot the console but not configure the audio/video of the console.  Or, some of the chips have died or are no longer working properly in those functional areas of the console's hardware.

If connected to your TV through a high-definition AV pack or cable,  you could also try to toggle between 480i / 480p video modes with a hotkey/button combo.

Hotkey to switch to HD modes

With the latest Xbox Dashboard (5960), force 480p display mode:

Press and hold the left trigger, right trigger, and both analog stick buttons.

The normally displayed 480i dashboard will switch to 480p output while using the Xbox High Definition AV Pack or cable.

Repeat the button combo to toggle from 480p to 480i and back again.

This combo only works if using a high-definition pack/cable to connect to your TV.

Edited by KaosEngineer

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the hotkey switch but no luck. I cleaned the drive belt with isopropyl alcohol and the drive door opened and closed a few times, then stopped working again. So I think the traces controlling the disc eject mechanism are good. (I have ordered replacement belts for the drive). I don’t know how to tell if the problem is with the bios or the audio and video chips, but I’m leaning toward the bios being the problem as KaosEngineer mentioned since both don’t work.

I have never installed a mod chip. Is it possible I could save this board by installing a mod chip? Do you flash the mod chip with the Hexen disc like you do when TSOPing an Xbox?

2 hours ago, psnap777 said:

I have never installed a mod chip. Is it possible I could save this board by installing a mod chip? Do you flash the mod chip with the Hexen disc like you do when TSOPing an Xbox?

The modchip may fix it.  Really depends if it is a BIOS problem or other.

Just like TSOPing, most modchips can be flashed with software included on the Hexen 2017 or 2018 disc.  There are other tools too (e.g., Eurasia Pro Generic Flash Disc v1.3, XBlastOS XBE version, etc.).

Edited by KaosEngineer

• 2 years later...