OGXbox.com

Strange graphics problem (GPU failure?)

hastings298

I have a cut-down slim OG xbox that has worked great, but then I changed the paste a while back and it started going kind of weird.

The picture output is barely there, it's really really dark with a strong red tint to it, can barely see the menus but it's definitely outputting a picture.

Could I have messed up the GPU somehow? Something being shorted? I'd include a picture but you can barely see anything. I'd be sad to ditch this as I put a lot of time into it.

Best,

Put fresh thermal paste on....... looked REEEEEALLY closely....... the tiniest crumb of, I wanna say old thermal paste? It was sitting on the traces around the GPU. Maybe it was a bit of the paste that was on it originally? Is that stuff even conductive? It was so tiny I thought I might've jacked up a trace somehow when removing the heatsink.

Seems like it was shorting some traces going into the GPU. My fave old SmartXX OG is back up and running!

So for anyone who encounters this problem in the future: Check the traces around the GPU and that there's no thermal paste (especially anything conductive) potentially creating a very tiny short.

• Like 1