OGXbox.com

Grounding questions

alfredo2

12 hours ago, alfredo2 said:

Does anyone know how many caps on the 1.6 board are grounded?

If you include the SMD and ceramic caps I would say of the 100 plus 75% would be grounded.

Also is the motherboard safe from ESD if it is bolt to the case?

The main board is reasonably well protected from damage from a static discharge, If you are prone to getting a electric shocks from touching stuff in your house then I would recommend you touch a grounded device before you handle any PCB's.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

4 hours ago, alfredo2 said:

Many thanks for your help again.

The caps I am looking at are the electrolytic caps, they are all grounded aren't they?

All the caps that are circled in red and yellow have the negative lead connected to ground.

The caps with the red circles need replacing and even if only 1 or 2 look bad change all of them.

The caps with the black/grey arrows occasionally need replacing as well.

Version-1-6-caps.jpg

Lastly the gold coloured cap in the purple star is the clock cap and if it shows any sign of bulging like the caps in red it also needs replacing.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thank you again, I really appreciate your help.

Sorry to keep going but how about these caps, the ones circled in the following pictures, are they also grounded? The one in the first, three in the second and the three on the psu in the last photo?

1534323955_xboxcaps2.thumb.jpg.adf9512531647056588429d2c886ad4a.jpg1663154280_xboxcaps1.thumb.jpg.d128ca7f9aab2d11e3936c5071ccb282.jpg760879271_xboxcaps3.thumb.jpg.8ab0d77b628576e6fc8cd0ba11f99716.jpg

Also is the clock cap grounded?

Lastly, as you may know I made the mistake of touching the caps, now if they are connected to ground and I touch them, is it correct that because they are connected to ground and ground connects everything, it will raise the potential of everything. So therefore ESD damage should not happen as everything is now at the same potential? Even if the system itself was unplugged?

I think I explained that right lol.

The only caps you need to worry about is the 5 near the heatsink/power connector.

The red circles are the ones that need to be replaced.

1534323955-xboxcaps2-thumb.jpg

The clock cap on the one I tested is not grounded.

I would not worry about changing the cap's in the PSU and if you touch the metal cage/shield before handling the main board that will discharge any static in your body.

Unless you commonly get electric shocks around where you are working on the Xbox I would not worry about damaging the board from a static.

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks very much for your help.

So the metal cage around the system will discharge any static even when the system is not plugged in?

I was moving some hard discs around today, and was touching the connectors when I was trying to get the cables out, are they static protected as well?

Yes the metal cage is connected to the negative side of the board.

even when the system is not plugged in?

As the Xbox has a 2 pin power connecter that can be connected either way around it's not grounded anyway the only items in most houses that are grounded are electric heaters, cookers/ovens, hot water heaters and that type of appliance or any small item that has a 3 pin plug at both ends like this.

24-57-7a3fbaa1-8234-4fbc-87be-64cee10e87bb-large.jpg

The chance of damaging the board from static would be extremely low so as the others have said don't worry. 

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

Touching the RF shield to discharge yourself is not going to help with the Xbox.  It has no Earth ground connection to discharge the static. 

If you are worried about ESD, get an anti-static mat to place the console on and an anti-static wrist strap that are properly Earth grounded.  Always wear the wrist strap before touching the Xbox.