OGXbox.com

Philips DVD drive lens acting funny

Lina_Inverse_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqdMb6xT8cI

I've had this v1.1 console for a few years, it's been sitting in storage for 3 years. I decided to power it up to see if it's still running only to find I get this weird lens issue with an error code 11 on screen. I've also tried the disc drive on my main console, the same thing happens. Would anyone know why?

I've got another GDR-8163B that's already been modified for use on the Xbox. I'll use it and modchip the system.

Error Code 11

Problem: No DVD drive found.

Cause/Solution: The Xbox cannot find the DVD drive. Similar to Error Code 10, this is usually from a loose/faulty cable. See solutions for Error Code 10. Note that many non-retail BIOS's can configured to skip using a DVD drive entirely.

Error Code 10

Problem: DVD drive timeout.

Cause/Solution: Similar to error codes 07 and 08, this is usually caused by a loose/faulty cable. The Xbox seems to know the DVD drive is present but it times-out waiting for the drive to become ready and respond to commands. Check the yellow cable running from the motherboard to the DVD drive. If all else fails, replace the DVD drive.

Error Code 07

Problem: Hard drive timeout / HDD took too long to become ready.

Cause/Solution: The Xbox seems to know the HDD is present but it times-out waiting for the drive to become ready and respond to commands. This is probably due to a loose connection or faulty wire. See the solution for Error Code 08. If you're using a SATA to IDE adapter, it's possible that the adapter you're using is not compatible with the drive you're using or isn't compatible with the Xbox at all. Try another SATA to IDE adapter / HDD combination. Some "green" drives are temperamental with certain SATA adapters. This error may also be caused if you have a SATA to IDE adapter and you are not using an 80 pin IDE cable (by default, they are 40 pin cables). Or, the console's DVD drive is bad preventing access to the hard drive via the IDE bus. Swap the DVD drive with one from a different Xbox. They are all interchangeable.

Error Code 08

Problem: No hard drive found.

Cause/Solution: The Xbox can't find the hard disk drive (HDD) while booting up. Try the following:

• If you are using a SATA to IDE adapter, you will need an 80 pin IDE cable. By default, it will be a 40 pin cable.

• Make sure the IDE ribbon cable (flat grey cable) is securely connected to the HDD, the DVD drive, and the motherboard itself.

• Check the IDE cable for signs of damage. If the cable looks like it has been scraped or has evidence of any damage then replace it.

• Check the HDD's power cable and make sure it's securely plugged in.

• If you can wiggle the HDD power cable around and make the Xbox work at certain times, then the leads coming from the power supply are loose and the power supply should be replaced.

• Take the HDD out and make sure the jumper is set correctly. There should be a diagram printed on the drive's label that shows how the jumper should be connected. Make sure its set to Cable Select (CS), Master, or isn't present at all. If the drive is set to Slave then you will run into issues!

• If all other cables are in fact securely connected and not damaged, you can try replacing the IDE cable anyway. It's possible that it is damaged in a way that isn't visible and IDE cables are cheap to come by.

• If all else fails, your hard drive is probably to blame and is faulty and needs to be replaced.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

Interesting. The console cannot find the disc drive as well as that issue with the lens actuator bobbing up and down frantically. I'll assume the drive is completely toast. Perhaps the lens (assuming that's still working) can be pulled and used in another Philips drive at least. I've got another one which has a weak laser.

Edited by Lina_Inverse_

2 hours ago, Lina_Inverse_ said:

Interesting. The console cannot find the disc drive as well as that issue with the lens actuator bobbing up and down frantically. I'll assume the drive is completely toast. Perhaps the lens (assuming that's still working) can be pulled and used in another Philips drive at least. I've got another one which has a weak laser.

I would try the faulty DVD drive and see it it boots past the error 11.

If it does then swap the boards.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

21 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I would try the faulty DVD drive and see it it boots past the error 11.

If it does then swap the boards.

I tested the disc drive that wouldn't read. The console booted fine aside from not reading discs. It was definitely the mainboard causing the fault. I've since swapped the board from the weak laser one into the drive which had that unusual issue and all is well.

Thank you!

Edited by Lina_Inverse_