OGXbox.com

Xbox hard drive replacement

ironspyder1734

As it says in the title, I'm new to the Xbox modding scene. I'm wondering if I could just take out the hard drive and replace it with a brand new one (plain and simple). Or do I need to do some other stuff before putting a new hard drive. My Xbox is also unmodded (unmodded as in STOCK, no softmod or hardmods done to it.)

And if some soldering needs to be done, then does anybody know what (affordable) soldering equipment do I need? Considering I have ZERO skills in soldering.

5 hours ago, ironspyder1734 said:
As it says in the title, I'm new to the Xbox modding scene. I'm wondering if I could just take out the hard drive and replace it with a brand new one (plain and simple).

No

Or do I need to do some other stuff before putting a new hard drive. My Xbox is also unmodded (unmodded as in STOCK, no softmod or hardmods done to it.)

Yes.  It must be formatted and files written to it.  The latest version of FATXplorer Beta 3.0 can format a new hard drive and add the stock dashboard files and homebrew applications (replacement dashboards, emulators and other content to it). 

Edit: You also have to lock the hard drive with the proper ATA security password.  The hardest part of installing a new hard drive on a unmodded or softmodded console.  (More on that later!)

And if some soldering needs to be done, then does anybody know what (affordable) soldering equipment do I need? Considering I have ZERO skills in soldering.

No soldering necessary unless you install a modchip.   Softmod the console to be able to use a large hard drive > 137GBs in size up to the maximum of 2.2TBs.

The TSOP mod can be done using conductive paint or a conductive pen used for automobile rear windshield defrosters.

17 minutes ago, ironspyder1734 said:

Sorry for the late response anyway...

with the latest version of FatXplorer Beta 3.0 includes a ATA security password or will I have to look for it somewhere else?

No, it does not lock/unlock the hard drive. 

First, softmod the console. I recommend using Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool. Then, download the eeprom.bin backup it creates. 

Next, download and extract the content from the XboxHDM23USB Beta 2, 3 or XboxHDM-2.3-Beta4 archive.

Finally, copy the eeprom.bin file to the extraction folder of the XboxHDM version you installed and run it.  For the first two applications, the hard drive has to be connected to your PC using a compatible USB-to-HDD interface adapter.  For the latter, you can connect the hard drive to a native HDD interface port on the motherboard - IDE or SATA - to lock/unlock the hard drive.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ironspyder1734 said:

I have a very old (1970s?) 30W soldering iron with a blunt tip and a 60W soldering iron. I've used both for Xboxes and other consoles. I recommend decent pricier solder wick to suck up old solder. Any 60/40 tin/lead solder should do.

Those hard drives should be fine. I have a similar WD in my main console. If you are going to use a SATA drive, you need an 80 pin IDE cable of the same length and IDE to SATA adapter.

Edited by Lina_Inverse_

Wow I didn't realize I needed these to get the Rocky Softmod going?

Splinter Cell (All versions of this game works, including PH)
MechAssault(If PH, get serial MS02301L)
007: Agent Under Fire (If PH, get serial 1448517)
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 *New Exploit* (All versions of this game works, including PH)

Do I need all of them? and in physical (as in hand?)

Those hard disks will work, however you will require an adapter to go from the older IDE connection to the newer SATA connection those drives use. There are unbranded adapters out there and also ones made by companies like StarTech. I've had 100% success with the StarTechs while the unbranded ones can be just as good but its luck of the draw what you get.