OGXbox.com

Does the Nvidia MCXP gets very hot in your Xboxes?

soniccd123

I've been trying to repair my Xbox this week after accidentally blowing the 110V PSU on 220V 🤦‍♂️. I've got to make it work with a PC 200W ATX PSU yesterday, but this morning, it started to FRAG. I noted that the 3.3V line has gone down to about 2.85V when the PSU is connected to the motherboard and the PSU turn off after a minute or so. I'm pretty sure that there is a short somewhere in the 3.3V line. I noticed that the Nvidia MCXP3 chip is getting very hot when the PSU is connected, I want to know if this is common, because if not, I suspect that the short maybe inside the chip, which will mean that it is dead :/

On a 1.4 here I got 59c with a probe held in the centre of the chip for 1 minute after the Xbox was idling for 25 minutes. It is hot to touch but i can keep my finger on the chip without discomfort.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

On a 1.4 here I got 59c with a probe held in the centre of the chip for 1 minute after the Xbox was idling for 25 minutes. It is hot to touch but i can keep my finger on the chip without discomfort.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thanks friend, I think my chip must be busted then, what a shame :/

It was working with the ATX PSU, but then it just stopped, I think maybe the other PSU must have strained it to the verge of colapse when it blew up and then it colapsed with some use

I supose that I should pronounce this Xbox dead right? There is no way to substitute this chip from what I understood

3 hours ago, soniccd123 said:

Thanks friend, I think my chip must be busted then, what a shame

Sounds like it.

It was working with the ATX PSU, but then it just stopped, I think maybe the other PSU must have strained it to the verge of colapse when it blew up and then it colapsed with some use

I use a ATX supply for testing 1.0 - 1.4 boards with out any issues,

There is three main differences

1st is the Power on signal is inverted, The ATX supply power on signal is ground to turn on the supply and the Xbox is 3.3 to turn it on.

2nd The ATX has  5 volt stand by and the Xbox need 3.3 volt for the 1.0-1.4 versions

3rd The Xbox power supply needs the PowOK (3.3 volt) from the mother board to enable the PSU and the ATX the PWR_OK is a 5 volt output to run a standby LED and should not be connected to the Xbox PowOK pin/wire. The Xbox will work when using a ATX supply without the PowOK pin/wire connected and connecting it will damage the Xbox.

I supose that I should pronounce this Xbox dead right? There is no way to substitute this chip from what I understood

You could take that chip from a damaged board but unless you name is Louis Rossman or have the use of his work bench it's not a chip that most people can change.

So I would say it's dead.

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks for helping friend

I've connected the ATX PSU as you said, so probably not the cause of the dead chip (not that I cannot have messed up, but it doesnt seen to be the case).

I actually have access to the necessary tools to rework a BGA chip at work, the problem would be finding a donor board, and even then, I don't know if other components aren't really also on the verge of colapse, so, I don't know if its worth it

I'm quite sad about the Xbox, in my country they're not cheap and even available most of the time, I think I'll be without one for some time now :/