OGXbox.com

Help diagnosing a FRAG... XBOX recoverable?

xboxn00b

Good afternoon team,

I recently found my OG XBOX which I can't remember the last time I actually powered it on (possibly up to 10 years). I originally bought it to play emulators on back in the day and after watching some youtube clips on how the emulators have kept being updated, thought I would try to get it working again for the lols.

I didn't have any cables anymore so orders some cheap 3rd party ones and a controller off of eBay.

I held my breath and pressed the power button for the first time in forever... and to my surprise it tried to boot up, but then gave me the reboot x 3 and started to display the FRAG.

From what I can tell the chip is an Xecutor Pro 2.x

I tried various switch combinations but to no avail. I have also disconnected and reseated all the cables I could see, but to no avail.

I have no way of determining if the HDD has failed (it is IDE and I no longer have any IDE tools/plugs), but if I remove the drive and try to power the xbox on without it, it still follows the same process (reboot x3, then FRAG), so I do not think that is the problem. I can only assume there is something wrong with the bios or the board itself.

My question is: is this salvagable? Am I able to get it working again? I got a friend to mod the xbox back in the day so my technical skills with it are lacking. From the googling I did, apparently a XeniumICE mod chip might be able to bring it back to life, but I am not sure if that is compatible with the mod chip I already have (could they be swapped out?) and I am a noob at best at soldering (and I recall the Xecuter being difficult to solder).

I have attached some photos of the machine and can give more information if needed. The searching on here seems to mention that the bios might need to be reflashed etc but this was one of the chips that needed a printer cable to connect ot it and reflash, so that might be an obsolete option now.

Thanks in advance.

1 - outside.jpg

2 - mod chip.jpg

The 2 silver caps in the 1st pic need replacing as do the 3 caps next to the heat sink in the 2nd pic.

Replace them and if the board still has the clock cap remove it also.

Can you post a pic of the whole board?

It should fire up then you can worry about updating the bios if need be.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xboxn00b said:

How hard would replacing the caps be for a soldering noob though?

I would highly suggest you watch some YouTube videos on soldering and in particular soldering though hole components.

The procedure of changing them is not overly difficult but I would highly recommend you practice on a old circuit board like a old non working PC, Car Radio, Home Receiver and the like, have a look at the local rubbish tip/recycle centre

You will also need a reasonable soldering iron that has temperature control, 60/40 lead/tin solder, Flux paste, Solder wick as a minimum, If you don't think you are capable then you should look for someone in you local area that can help even if they just replace the faulty caps.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I can see there's leakage around the clock cap circuitry on top PCB pic. The solder pads have a greenish tint, compare that to the left. Use cotton swabs and isopropyl for cleaning. Soldering isn't too hard, just be gentle with the board and don't gouge the iron on the board. You need decent (Chemtronics is what I use) desoldering braid that soaks the old stuff up if you want to do it easier. no-name stuff from eBay just doesn't work. 

Check the traces under the board near the edge. With clock cap leakage, they can get corroded and cause powering issues, should that occur, it is solvable.

Edited by Lina_Inverse_

Thanks team. I will do some research and see if I am confident I can do it. I have all the equipment Dave mentioned from my Raspberry Pi tinkering, but my soldering has been limited to connecting game pad PCBs to Pi boards. My soldering wasn't great but it did the job.

Should I stick with the Xecutor Pro board or try to swap it out for a Xenium?

2 hours ago, xboxn00b said:

Should I stick with the Xecutor Pro board or try to swap it out for a Xenium?

The mod chip is not the problem with that Xbox so swapping the mod chip for a Open Xenium is not going to help

Once you have replaced the caps the Xbox should start working.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

I would also try booting the Xbox with the chip unplugged and no hard drive or DVD drive connected and see if you get the animation on the tv screen.

Once you get the green flubber on the screen then you can then reconnect the modchip and you may need to try different switch combinations to get some of visual indication on the screen the new bios has loaded.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 8/29/2021 at 8:10 AM, SS_Dave said:

I would also try booting the Xbox with the chip unplugged and no hard drive or DVD drive connected and see if you get the animation on the tv screen.

Once you get the green flubber on the screen then you can then reconnect the modchip and you may need to try different switch combinations to get some of visual indication on the screen the new bios has loaded.

Hi Dave,

I disconnected everything and the same thing occurs - reboots 3 times and then FRAG.

I have taken a closer up on the 3 caps that I think that need to be replaced.

Is this a reputable source for them? - https://console5.com/store/microsoft-xbox-original-cap-kit.html

5 - caps.jpg

That board needs a few of the caps replacing

The caps circled in red need replacing the one in yellow should also be replaced while you are at it and lastly the blue circle is the clock cap and it should be removed

794833-fullboard.jpg

Can you carefully unplug the mod chip and post a pic of the other side.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xboxn00b said:

Yes.

I get my caps from either DigiKey, Mouser, Element14. I would avoid eBay as a lot of the capacitors on there are a low grade component.

Cheers

SS Dave

6 hours ago, xboxn00b said:

Hopefully this is a bit clearer. Hesitant to take the board out until I am ready to replace the parts to avoid any further damage.

4 - full board.jpg

C7F1 and C7E2 need to be replaced too. Not just those by the CPU heatsink.

Edit: Oops, I see @SS_Dave already circled all the capacitors that need to be replaced.

22 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Can you carefully unplug the mod chip and post a pic of the other side.

I think I am going to move the switch (black cables) inside the case so it doesn't get bumped. I have never needed to change it and I can't foresee me needing to again once it is all working.

I have also removed the ribbon cable it had on the back to connect to an external port, which I never used (black port).

6 - modchip.jpg

Edited by xboxn00b