OGXbox.com

App that tests HDD read/write speed?

cyrix

Hey all,

I'm interested in apps that can help assess xbox performance. Specifically one that can run tests on the hard drive. I'd like to compare some drives I have (ide, cf, sata ssd), and it would be awesome if something like this already existed. I've seen a ram test app specifically for the 128mb mod, but that's it.

You mean like this test

https://www.retrorgb.com/og-xbox-storage-upgrade-shootout.html

You have 20 year old technology on the HDD bus and it is already getting maxed out with most new hard drives.

I also see people say a they are fitting a SSD to reduce noise in my view any new HDD is quieter than a 20 year old hard drive and I would rather had capacity over speed of  SSD.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Yeah, but I'd like it to be done from the xbox itself. I'm less concerned with finding the best drive to use (SSD's are obviously the best), and more with evaluating performance degradation over time without having to pull the drive out and test it on a workbench.

24 minutes ago, cyrix said:

Yeah, but I'd like it to be done from the xbox itself. I'm less concerned with finding the best drive to use (SSD's are obviously the best), and more with evaluating performance degradation over time without having to pull the drive out and test it on a workbench.

I don't believe such a tool exists. I'm nearly certain of it. It would need to be written. 

49 minutes ago, Mu. said:

Probably the best solution for an on-console test would be to boot some form of Linux on it and then run a suitable hard disk related tool (I know 'dd' can be set up in a way to do this but I don't know the arguments off the top of my head).

Ooooh, that's a good idea. I'll start looking into that. Thanks.