OGXbox.com

Error 11 after running games in NTSC

D10GZP

I'm running the Rocky softmod 1.1.6. I'm currently having issues running games in NTSC rather than my native PAL region. (Doing this for hd resolution)

I have been running games in NTSC mode by doing the following: 

Going to video settings enabling 480p,720p and 1080i modes then saving these settings.

I'll then go to whichever installed game I want to play, hit select and opt to run it in NTSC mode.

Very small amount of installed games have worked, but more often than not they will freeze at the loading screen and I will be forced to power off.

This then brings up error code 11 when I try reboot, which seems to be caused by the Xbox trying to reboot in NTSC.

Fix for this I found is to switch it off again, and turn off its power source for 10 mins.

Any ideas if I'm doing something wrong here?

From forums.afterdawn.com's XBOX Error Codes Explained - Go Here First! thread:

10 - kernel - DVD timeout

Actually its almost the same as error 6/7/8. But also make sure the yellow cables are properly connected to the motherboard and the dvd drive.

1. Make sure ide cables are connected good.
2. Make sure the yellow cables are good and properly connected.
3. Still no succes? Try another dvd drive of which you are sure it is working.

11 - kernel - No DVD Found

Same as #10 So read up please!

12 - kernel - DVD parameters (PIO/DMA)

Same as #10, only not very common.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response.

I did think that error 11 was dvd drive related but I'm fairly certain the console has a newer dvd drive fitted so I will check into this.

I can't understand why the issue is only sometimes triggered and is resolved by powering off for 10+minutes.

Any ideas if there are any other settings I need to enable other than just 480p, 720p and 1080i?

Wondering if its even related to that. It can run coinops and ninja for a few hours without any issues, but seems to encounter quite a few issues when playing saved xbox games; mostly them not booting and then triggering this error upon restart...

Thanks

An update on this.

Its definitely nothing to do with the region etc... 

And also to add, I doubt its actually an issue with the disk drive as this issue is happening when launching games installed on the hdd. 

When trying to launch some games that were pre-installed by the previous owner the games get stuck on their initial loading screen. Meaning I have to hit the power button as I can't get back to the dashboard.

I'm then met with error 11 whenever I boot it back up until its been left for a while.

Slightly confused by this. Any help would be great

To be able to set 480p/720p/1080i the dashboard/console has to have been region swapped to NTSC already if it is a PAL console. Why and how are you opting to run it in NTSC mode as stated in the original post?

I'd suggest not enabling 1080i; the OGXbox really can't handle 1080i and as virtually no games support it the option is practically redundant.

If it says Error 11 I'd also suggest that you take that at face value and the most likely cause of the problem is the DVD drive. Its irrelevant whether the games are installed on the HDD or not. If the DVD drive is going bad and not being recognised on reboot you'll get an error.

If you have another known good working Xbox DVD drive sub it in and see if the problem is resolved.

6 hours ago, D10GZP said:

Dvd drive is a Philips. But as far as I'm aware the belt has been replaced. 

Hard drive has been upgraded.

My money is on the Philips DVD drive needs replacing, I have 3 here causing error 11 and error 12.

I would suggest you hard mod it (Modchip or Bios reflash) then use a bios that has been set to No DVD  you can then leave the DVD disconnected or option 2 is find a working DVD and as the Xbox is 20 years old that getting harder every day.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

On 8/19/2021 at 3:04 AM, HDShadow said:

To be able to set 480p/720p/1080i the dashboard/console has to have been region swapped to NTSC already if it is a PAL console. Why and how are you opting to run it in NTSC mode as stated in the original post?

I'd suggest not enabling 1080i; the OGXbox really can't handle 1080i and as virtually no games support it the option is practically redundant.

If it says Error 11 I'd also suggest that you take that at face value and the most likely cause of the problem is the DVD drive. Its irrelevant whether the games are installed on the HDD or not. If the DVD drive is going bad and not being recognised on reboot you'll get an error.

If you have another known good working Xbox DVD drive sub it in and see if the problem is resolved.

On the softmod I'm able to set the region and choose which region to run games on. I was trying to run in ntsc for better resolution. But regardless the games won't boot anyway.

I do find it weird that some of the games will run without any issues though. And only some will trigger this error state.

On 8/19/2021 at 6:01 AM, SS_Dave said:

My money is on the Philips DVD drive needs replacing, I have 3 here causing error 11 and error 12.

I would suggest you hard mod it (Modchip or Bios reflash) then use a bios that has been set to No DVD  you can then leave the DVD disconnected or option 2 is find a working DVD and as the Xbox is 20 years old that getting harder every day.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

As it's is a v1.1 I will probably leave it as is and just use it for emulators, rather than hard modding it especially as only a few xbox games actually cause the error.

Once it dies I think a hard mod will be the way forward 

3 hours ago, D10GZP said:

On the softmod I'm able to set the region and choose which region to run games on. I was trying to run in ntsc for better resolution. But regardless the games won't boot anyway.

I do find it weird that some of the games will run without any issues though. And only some will trigger this error state.

If the console is region swapped using the Enigmah Region Changer app ie. to NTSC it should play, by default, using your already selected NTSC supported resolutions ie. 480p or 720p. I doubt whatever you're doing to select NTSC playback is involved in the problem but I was just making the point that once the console is region changed there should be no reason to alter any other settings to make it play using them.

• Like 1