Sign in to follow this  
Flowlance

1.6 XBox Frag After Aladdin Install

Ok this is really frustrating. The xbox flashes green/red (restarts 3 times). And I can't figure out what I've done wrong here. I felt like the job went really smooth.

I have also cut the trace near the xbox chip (so it cannot boot from the xbox's bios anymore, right?). 

I tried desoldering everything, replacing the wires, removing unused pins, adding them back. Grounding D0 (Even though I cut the trace, I decided to try). 

What else can I try? This was my precious crystal xbox too, and was excited to get the job done :(

Edit: I tried the Aladdin modchip in a 1.4 Xbox, and it worked just fine there. I also checked continuity on the lpc rebuild, and it seems to be fine. No shorts. Did I get any of the wires wrong?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Flowlance

44 minutes ago, Forlorn Penguin said:

Not sure if it's related to the issue or not, but the extra wire that you have soldered to that screw plate is unneeded. Maybe try it without that?

I installed that wire in an attempt to fix this issue, no difference in removing it :(

3 hours ago, Flowlance said:

Edit: I tried the Aladdin modchip in a 1.4 Xbox, and it worked just fine there.

Did you flash correct Bios on your modchip that is 1.6 compatible?

From Reddit: "If you cut the LFRAME trace it completely prevents the stock ROM in Xyclops chip to be loaded. FRAG behavior (Reboot 3 times and Flash Red And Green) is then expected when no chip is inserted"

So I assume -> in your case, modchip bios is just wrong, :)

Want a working EvoX for 1.6 (my personal bios)? Just tell me how big your modchip flash block is :) and location of your dashboards

Edited by Traace

1 hour ago, Traace said:

Did you flash correct Bios on your modchip that is 1.6 compatible?

From Reddit: "If you cut the LFRAME trace it completely prevents the stock ROM in Xyclops chip to be loaded. FRAG behavior (Reboot 3 times and Flash Red And Green) is then expected when no chip is inserted"

So I assume -> in your case, modchip bios is just wrong, :)

Want a working EvoX for 1.6 (my personal bios)? Just tell me how big your modchip flash block is :) and location of your dashboards

I just tried flashing the modchip from a 1.4 Xbox using hexen, and putting a 256k 1.6 bios on it. The 1.4 system obviously would not boot with this chip anymore. I moved it over to the 1.6, but the same issue persists. I think even the Aladdin comes with a bios supported for all Xbox versions though.

check your wiring against this link Please login or register to see this link.  i used it to add a aladdin chip to a 1,6 xbox but i didnt cut the trace, also double check all your wires and make sure they are soldered to the correct area as i had that issue and i didnt get it fixed until i checked my wiring

Edited by ironsniper1

The Aladdin comes pre-flashed with a 1.6 compatible BIOS, so that's not the issue (though it still should be reflashed because the EvoX M8+ configuration it uses is pretty bad).

The L-Frame trace definitely needs to be cut, so that's not the issue either.

It must be either the wiring, or some solder splashes somewhere. 1.6 installs are very finicky.

• Like 2

Ok a small update on this case,

I couldn't find any solder splashes/balls anywhere so I desoldered everything, washed the whole motherboard in a bucket of water, and rebuilt the lpc for the 3rd time.

Now it was time to test it. To my surprise it actually showed the boot animation (with the Evo X logo in top left), but THEN... the screen went solid pink.

I rebooted it, and now the Xbox stays on with green leds, but it does not show anything on the screen. I guess this Mobo is FUBAR. 
If anyone got a spare 1.6 to sell, let me know.

if you washed it with water you should have waiting atleast a week for all of the water to dry out before even powering it on as there was probably some water trapped some where and that smoked the board

I thank you all for all your suggestion. Yes, turning it on in less than 24 hours was probably not the smartest move. We're experiencing 35 degrees in Norway these days (insane!), and I left it out in the sun a whole day and it seemed to be completely dry. 

I decided to give this board one more chance, desoldering everything and doing it over. And cleaned the board with a tiny bit of isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush.  

All of a sudden, it works now. So there might have been some water shorting it out, I have no idea really. I don't really trust this is going to work forever, but I'm happy it finally works! :) I didn't have much confidence in my soldering skills so actually achieving something feels really good. So I went ahead and replaced the clock capacitor and thermal paste, and removed pin 6 from the lpc as this kept the Aladdin's red LED on all the time, even when the system is turned off.

Every once in a while I get a disc read error though (with both original and burned games), not sure what causes this. Maybe a bad dvd drive?

• Like 1

Yeah, don't play games via the disc. Ever. Really bad idea. These DVD drives are old and unreliable and frequently die these days. Always, always, always play games via the HDD and preserve the DVD drive in case you ever need it in the future to run a recovery disc.

1 hour ago, transitman55 said:

I'm having the same problem. What gauge wire did you use? Hopefully, I will get mine to work.

sounds to me like op's soldering was bad in his first attempt. if the console worked prior to the install, its usually always bad soldering.... usually.... i've screwed around so much in the past only to come back to bad solder.

D0 does not have to be connected on a 1.6 console.

D0 is an output from the Aladdin chip. It should not be tied to ground.  It grounds the D0 point for 1.0-1.4/5 Xboxes. 

Not required to be connected to D0 on the motherboard for a 1.6 since it always boots from an LPC connected device be it the Xyclops chip or the modchip.  Cutting LFRAME prevents the Xyclops BIOS from loading.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1