OGXbox.com

V1.3 only powers on for either 1 or 6 sec

arfows

have some weird Power issues, researched previous posts but didn't want to hijack their threads and not sure if they were the same situation anyway.  Here's the current situation:

Bought console off ebay with acknowledgement that power button did not work and that it powered on by simply plugging in or hitting the eject button...(sounds like classic trace rot).  Clock cap was removed by seller and area cleaned, he also replaced thermal paste on CPU/GPU and verified that the console worked and played games.  I have not verified trace damage extent yet but he said there was a little.  The console appears to have other things going on other than trace rot and I wanted to see if there was something else I could test on the top of the mb based on the below current working status before I get to trace rot stuff.

When I got it, after a couple of power cycles where it remained powered on plugging it in, it now no longer powers on simply by plugging in, instead it only does by hitting eject button, and when that occurs it only stays powered on for about a second.  Stby voltage checks good at 3.3V and POWON just gets to 3.3V before it powers off.  POWOK doesn't fully spool up.  When DVD removed and only HD power still attached (or even if HD removed), it powers on via eject button for 6 seconds and provides the following readings:

Eject button triggers POWON voltage at 3.3V for 6 seconds.  POWOK registers at 3.3V as well until it cuts off.  Even if button remains held down, voltage drops off on both at 6 seconds and it powers down

All other voltages read correct during the 6 sec power on except the yellow which comes in at 11.8vdc

Eject button LED comes on and flashes red.

If DVD plugged in, when eject button pressed DVD is ejected and retracts before powering down

No obvious Cap leakages/bulges discovered.

Any ideas?  Thank you!   

Sorry I didn’t explain it better, here is what happens:

power on with everything connected: lasts roughly 1 second

with only hard drive connected: lasts roughly 6 seconds

with only mobo connected: lasts roughly 6 seconds

red led flashes.  Think the green led doesn’t work because of trace rot (if it’s the correct trace I’ve identified in the picture from my last post) so not sure if it would alternate flashing red and green if it was able.   also, I left everything disconnected overnight (including power unplugged) and it lasted a couple seconds longer this morning.

thanks for the help!

You need to repair at the very minimum the trace closest to the edge as that one is the power button trace.

If you test pin 18 of the IC below is should have 3.3 volt on the purple at all times unless you press the power button. The same with the blue (pin 5) but is the Eject button.

You can add a link to join the 2  purple marks 

power-and-earth-trace-12-14.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.