OGXbox.com

Xbox 1.0 Xenium Ice Halt on boot

onilink67

I acquired a few Xbox's cheap recently that were broken one of which was throwing an Error 5 on boot. This Xbox turned out to be modded but the solderless LPC header wasn't installed properly, I removed it and soldered a header directly to the board (and wired D0). Now I'm able to boot to the chip but it halts on startup.

https://imgur.com/a/GN13n82

I Attempted to load Xenium OS 2.1 recovery CD but the menu never comes on the main screen. It did early on but went black and never loaded again. I have tested this drive on my 1.6 Xbox and know that it is functional.

Also I installed my Aladdin XT modchip and the system will boot fine with that. Is there any way to recover this chip or is it dead?

8 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

What color is the LED?

There is also a small switch on the modchip that I think is the force recovery mode.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I take that back if I start with the eject button then hit eject again to open the drive (it'll stay on a black screen until I do this) I get the below which is just like the first pic but in "Safe Mode"

https://imgur.com/a/KsET1bx

The light is currently green (it starts red -> yellow -> green guessing this is some kind of self test)

If I flip the switch

I get the same screen as before pressing the eject button but I only have to hit it once

Main difference in this mode is the LED stays red

Edited by onilink67

• KaosEngineer changed the title to Xbox 1.0 Xenium Ice Halt on boot

Try moving the recovery mode switch back and forth a few times.  It may be oxidized inside and thinks it is always in recovery mode. While the modchip is in recovery mode, it tries to load the Xenium OS BIOS update from the hard drive. The file should be present at E:\recovery.bin on the Xbox's hard drive.  Without it there, I believe, the BIOS on the modchip will display:

Loading... - HALT!  

Which you are seeing.

However, my explanation doesn't make much sense since you do see two different splash screens on startup with the recovery mode switch in different positions.

Edit: It is possible that the Xenium OS on the modchip is corrupted and the loader that tries to start it notices that it is corrupt and tries to load E:\recovery.bin to fix it even though the switch is not set to recovery (BIOS update) mode.

58 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Try moving the recovery mode switch back and forth a few times.  It may be oxidized inside and thinks it is always in recovery mode. While the modchip is in recovery mode, it tries to load the Xenium OS BIOS update from the hard drive. The file should be present at E:\recovery.bin on the Xbox's hard drive.  Without it there, I believe, the BIOS on the modchip will display:

Loading... - HALT!  

Which you are seeing.

However, my explanation doesn't make much sense since you do see two different splash screens on startup with the recovery mode switch in different positions.

Edit: It is possible that the Xenium OS on the modchip is corrupted and the loader that tries to start it notices that it is corrupt and tries to load E:\recovery.bin to fix it even though the switch is not set to recovery (BIOS update) mode.

Ok I think that worked it still can't boot into the dashboard but I can launch the Xenium OS Menu.   Is there somehow I can fix the BIOS here?

Edit : I see if I use the Launch menu I can boot any kernel I want - any recommendations? currently has Evo-X M7 installed (super old I bet)

Edited by onilink67

You should be able to use the add new item option in the launch menu

You may need to FTP a new bios to C drive 1st or have a file called on a DVD or maybe a CD disk called bios.bin, The other option if the OS on the modchip is new enough then you coud flash a new bios to the chip from your network 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

7 hours ago, onilink67 said:

Ok I think that worked it still can't boot into the dashboard but I can launch the Xenium OS Menu.   Is there somehow I can fix the BIOS here?

Edit : I see if I use the Launch menu I can boot any kernel I want - any recommendations? currently has Evo-X M7 installed (super old I bet)

The latest BIOSes are Evox M8plus (v1.0-1.4 and v1.6 versions available), an unofficially patched vesion of ind-bios 5003.06 or 67 (v1.0-1.4 only), and X2 5035 (v1.0-1.4 and v.16 versions available).