OGXbox.com

V1.1 Xbox Triple FRAG, XeniumICE installed

Emiougus

My V1.1 Xbox is triple fragging, this happened after I tried swapping out the 40 Pin IDE cable for a 80Pin one. 

I've done a bit of debugging and found that the LPC header pins 3 and 5 aren't reporting correct voltages both reading below 1v
What I think has happened is when I installed the 80 Pin IDE cable I without knowing freed up one of the solder joints on the switch that's on the XeniumICE which switches it into recovery mode(I have resoldered the broken joint and it didn't change anything and yes the switch is in the correct position, though I've tried both positions and still a frag) and somehow that's caused something to get fried but I'm not sure what exactly

Uploaded some pictures of my LPC header soldering and D0 point for shits and giggles I have done continuity tests to the alternate points and they're all reading with continuity 

https://imgur.com/a/rBbAdlR

Precise voltage readings on the pins that aren't working are:
Pin 1(LCLK): between 0.9 and 0.15v 
Pin 3(LFrame): Almost always has the same voltage reading as Pin 1 but they aren't shorted I checked
Pin 5(LRst): between 0.18 and 0.20v 

All of these pins do have continuity with points I found online on other places on the board 

Edit: Should mention when testing the console was on(fragging) no av connector inserted and HDD and DVD drive aren't plugged in

Edited by Emiougus

5 minutes ago, Emiougus said:

Should mention when testing the console was on(fragging) no av connector inserted and HDD and DVD drive aren't plugged in

That's fine

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

So with modchip disconnected these are all the readings I get from the LPC header(grounded through the psu header that plugs into the main board)
Pin 1: between 0.15 and 0.20v
Pin 2: Nil
Pin 3: 0.15v
Pin 5: 0.18v
Pin 6: 5.05v
Pin 7: 3.2v
Pin 8: 3.2v
Pin 9: 3.2v
Pin 10: 3.2v
Pin 11: 3.2v
Pin 12: Nil
Pin 13: 3.2v
Pin 14: 3.2v
Pin 15: 3.2v
Pin 16: 3.2v

Figured I may as well add on the Main board pin header voltages aswell
Blue wire: 3.2v
White Wire: 3.2v
Brown Wire: 3.2v
Orange wire: 3.2v
All red wires: 5v
Yellow wire: 11.6v

14 minutes ago, Emiougus said:

Figured I may as well add on the Main board pin header voltages aswell
Blue wire: 3.2v
White Wire: 3.2v
Brown Wire: 3.2v
Orange wire: 3.2v
All red wires: 5v
Yellow wire: 11.6v

Those reading are good

I would resolder pins 1, 2, 5, 5 by adding some flux paste and hold the iron on the joint (put the tip of the iron against the pin and on the pad on the board) for a little bit longer than you did before.

1eu-Kavc-1.jpg

I suspect you have a joint like the 1st or 2nd, 4th ones

767366777_Commonsolderproblems.thumb.jpg.27a83262c99d95388a4a04e530fc452e.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Tries to Boot 3x then FRAG

Usually due to a failed or improperly installed modchip or the IDE cable being plugged in upside down somewhere.    

Check modchip wiring and IDE cables. If you did not do any soldering, it could be a bad PSU.

Is it fragging without the 2 drives connected. also check you have not bent a pin in the IDE connector on the board or the drives

Have you tried with the old/original IDE cable and HDD?

If you power on with the eject button with modchip is it still fragging?

Cheers

SS Dave

I think you are looking for a solder splash somewhere on the board

Is there and resistance readings between ground and pin 1,2,3,5 

Pin 2 and 12 should have 0 ohms or very close to 0

Maybe post a high res pic of the whole board on a pic share and add the link here.

Cheers

SS Dave

I'm 90% sure that either my modchip has died or the mcpx chip is damaged, do you know of any way to test them? I'm thinking about chucking the modchip into my other system to see if it works, if it does then testing the mcpx would be my next step but I'm unsure how to do that

Just tried out the chip in my other console and it works great, doesn't cause the console to frag or anything. So it's surely either gotta be damage to something to do with the HDD i/o or mcpx based on the pins(1,3,5) on the lpc not outputting correctly 

On working 1.0 I get around 700k to ground on pins 1, 3 and 1.2k for pin 5

On a dead 1.0 i got around 700k pins 1, 3 and 1.7k pin 5

When I use a $20 meter I get open circuit for 1, 3 and 1.2k for pin 5

Cheers

SS Dave

As pin 5 is the reset line it either has a break in the trace and that's holding the voltage low.

The most common place is where the arrow is pointing.

Cheers

SS Dave

13 hours ago, Emiougus said:

oddly enough I'm now getting 1.7k ohms on pin 5 to ground but I traced it pretty far back, all the way to pin 53 of the video encoder and still get the same readings at all those points as I'm getting at the lpc header 

A quick look here is it connects to the IDE port (J8C1) Pin 1, The IC that is used for the ethernet port (U7B1), The video chip (U4B1), The reset transistor (Q7R1)

There will also be a capacitor across the reset line and ground somewhere and probably a 10k pullup resistor to 3.3 volt.

Cheers

SS Dave