OGXbox.com

Recover Bad Tsop Flash

KpCollins

Hello, I'm looking to Recover a bad Tsop Flash on a 1.4 board. I have an Aladdin XT on the way which will be my 3rd chip install. Been looking around and have a few questions.

First, I understand being able to disconnect the D0 wire once booted with the chip would give me the option to tsop using Xblastos. My question comes from something else I'm looking into

Eeprom recovery using a raspberry Pi, It accesses the I2C connection and pulls the Eeprom. Could I use the Pi and an LPC pinheader to reflash the original bios via tsop in a similar method?

37 minutes ago, KpCollins said:

First, I understand being able to disconnect the D0 wire once booted with the chip would give me the option to tsop using Xblastos. My question comes from something else I'm looking into

Normally once the Xbox has booted from the LPC port it can not access the onboard bios chip (even if the D0 is disconnected) until the next power cycle

There is also a extra data line A15 and 1.0-1.1 have a A19 as well as the D0 that need grounding and releasing from ground at the correct time, It would be easier to use a Xblast Lite modchip.

Having said that some of the bios chips in the 1.2-1.4 can not be recovered from a bad flash even by removing from the main board and using a external eeprom flasher.

43 minutes ago, KpCollins said:

Could I use the Pi and an LPC pinheader to reflash the original bios via tsop in a similar method?

Not that I have heard of.

37 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

What?  You can use an external programmer to reflash a BIOS to the flash memory chip.  

Not always.

There was a discussion around February this year about some Winbond chips that had a faulty bios that could not be re-flashed even in a external programmer

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

What?  You can use an external programmer to reflash a BIOS to the flash memory chip.  

Don't remember my oddyse with the bad EvoX bios on a Winbond topic? Thats why I bought a external programmer. Both are not reflashable.

EDIT : But OFC it can depends on how bad the "bad flash" is (Chances are 50/50 I would say.).

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
  • Like 1