OGXbox.com

ESPN NFL FOOTBALL has no video (can hear sound)

Infinite Clouds

At first I thought it was the processing into the XISO format or the XISO playback but I've recently bought an NTSC retail disc and I'm still have this issue on my NTSC console. TSOP modded , rev 1.4

Here are the only historical posts I could find about this - https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/espn-nfl-2k5-football/59228-big-problem-xbox-espn-nfl.html

The 2003 Post from the first link,

"My copy just arrived this morning from the US, and I load it up only to find that I get no picture. Either via component (progressive or interlaced), RGB SCART or s-video. I get sound, but the picture is just a black screen.

Yet ESPN NHL works just fine.

I use a modded PAL Xbox, yet I don't know how that can make a difference given that all my other US sports games over the years (NFL2K3, NBA2K3/2, ESPN NHL etc) have all worked just fine.

Has anyone else had or heard of a similar problem?

"Got it working!!

I had to go into the PAL settings and make sure it was set to PAL50, not PAL60. Reboot the Xbox in NTSC and bam - HI I'M CHRIS BERMAN.

It makes no sense that forcing an NTSC game to PAL50 fixed his issue but moreover why am I having an issue with a NTSC game on my NTSC console? I don't have an unmodded console to test, unfortunately.

Edited by Infinite Clouds

EDIT:  I originally tested the wrong game: ESPN NFL 2K5 (NTSC), not ESPN NFL Football (NTSC).

I tested the wrong 😢 game, ESPN NFL 2K5 (NTSC), on my v1.1 Xbox using several different configurations.

I've now downloaded the correct game to test.

Update: ESPN NFL Football (NTSC) works.

Three (3) different BIOSes:

1. the latest unofficially patched ind-bios 5003.67
  2. evox m8plus with lba48 v3 support and no-DVD check 
  3. X3 3294 v1.0-1.5

Two (2) different AV cables:

1. standard definition composite cable
  2. Microsoft high-definition AV cable
    • MS dashboard video settings:
      • Widescreen
      • 480p - Off
      • 720p - Off
      • 1080i - Off

Replacement dashboard: UnleashX 0.39.0528A Build 584

The game's video and audio worked using all combinations of these options.

With the high-definition cable attached, I also started the game using XBMC4Xbox 3.5.3-r33027, Evoxdash +3935 and Avalaunch Alpha 0.49.3.

Audio but no picture is typical of a region locked game; you get the same thing with PAL Timesplitters 2 if you try to play it on a NTSC set Xbox.

But this is weird because the game should play on a NTSC set console but doesn't but does if you force PAL50.

That suggests to me a TV issue; can you swap between NTSC 4.43 and NTSC 3.58 support? Do not ask me to explain it because I can't but it maybe that your TV only supports NTSC 4.43 and not 'true' NTSC 3.58 or something like that.

I'll try downloading the game and test it on my PAL TV which does support both and another which doesn't and see if I can recreate the problem.

Edited by HDShadow
typo

I extracted and burned the redump files to disc and my results were perplexing:-

Xbox v1.6 PAL region swapped to NTSC, Xecuter 2.6CE chip, Evox M8+ 1.6 Customised BIOS, Hitachi DVD drive, UnleashX v572 dash.

I won't go through all the video display permutations I tested but I did clear the cache and the content of X, Y and Z drives first. My initial results were very similar to Infinite Clouds.

NTSC with Component and RGB SCART whether 480i or 480p no video display at all but perfect audio. So I re-swapped the console back to PAL with Enigmah and tried again. Unlike Infinite Clouds I couldn't get any video display with either cable whether using PAL 50 or PAL60.

With Component you can not change the colour system of the TV I'm using, only when using RGB SCART is that possible. So I swapped between NTSC 3.58  and NTSC 4.43 and retried most of the previous tests all over again. No joy. It still would not display the video. I returned the TV colour setting to Auto and, BTW, confirmed that was using NTSC 3.58 when the console is region set to NTSC.

If you use NTSC 4.43 or PAL TV settings it is very obvious as the display is in b/w or faded colour with an odd grainy overlay.  

At this point I wasn't expecting anything to work but something I've tried before with games, Sega ones in particular, to force 480p (before Rocky5 came up with his loader script) , was to swap from RGB SCART to Component whilst the game disc is running. Again no joy but remember this was still in PAL region mode. I changed  back to the RGB SCART cable swapped the console to NTSC with Enigmah, accidentally cold booting the game and ...........................................the damned thing suddenly started working!

Not only that: hot-swapping the RGB SCART cable for Component caused a reboot. I re-enabled 480p from the UX dash that, rebooted again and 480p was suddenly working too.

I tried swapping the cables yet gain and repeated many of the tests that had previously failed and now everything was working. I left it on my standard NTSC M UnleashX video settngs: 480p/faster refresh rate and cleared the cache again rebooted or turned the console off several times and it continued to boot the game perfectly.

I haven't tested it on another version Xbox yet (or other TV) and to do that I have to burn another copy on DVD-R as for tests like this I use DVD-RW. My v1.6's Hitachi DVD drive is happy with them but the Samsungs in most of my other Xboxes are not.

Can I explain the results so far? No, I have no idea what it was I did that made the game display properly.

Edited by HDShadow

I appreciate you doing all this testing. Are you also on a 1.4 revision console like I am?

To be clear, I myself didn't ever get video here, it was someone else posting back in 2003 saying they got it to work by forcing PAL50. I honestly don't know how to change that setting on my NTSC console and as I'm using a NTSC CRT from the early to mid 2000s (through component) it wouldn't be possible anyway. I've tried playing PAL games on my ODE modded PS1 or N64 Everdrive and they will usually have a garbled image, not just a black screen.

I'm not familiar with the difference between 4.43 and 3.58 NTSC but I would imagine that there was only one sold here in the US among consumer model CRTs. Or at the very least that both were supported.

My TV is . However, I've tried it on a LCD and had no better luck. Furthermore, in one of those two threads I posted someone was saying 8 months or so ago that they were having this issue when feeding into their OSSC as well.

Have you tried composite (Yellow, Red/White)?

I have tested the ESPN NFL football and the ESPN NFL 2k5 both work on my test screen (Some cheap no name from china) and main room screen (Samsung)

The Xbox is a 1.4 using the X2-5035.67, EvoxM8 plus bios on  Open Xenium and it has a wii2hdmi fitted internally (component) with the output set to NTSC-u, Widescreen, 480p, 720p enabled and the Dash is Xbmc4gamers.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I repeated my tests on a Xbox v1.1 SID/AID softmod but using the same version UnleashX dash, same TV, same RGB SCART and Component cables.

Repeating what I thought I did on the v1.6 with the newly burned DVD-R which the v1.1 Samsung DVD drive likes produced no success at all. Same problem: audio fine but no video display. I was about to give up when I thought I'd try one last go.

I cleared the cache again before each try and region swapped the console to PAL with Enigmah using a RGB SCART cable. I then set the UnleashX video to PAL50 only ie. no PAL60, no 480p (which you can set/save with a RGB SCART cable but can't be used of course) and then went into the TV settings and selected NTSC v3.58 rather than Auto.

Then I loaded the game disc (no auto-launch) and with the disc still loaded used Enigmah to swap it back to NTSC. To exit Enigmah you need to do an IGR/reboot. The game thus auto-booted and suddenly started displaying correctly.

Going back to my TV's colour system settings I swapped that back to Auto from NTSC v3.58, it auto-selected NTSC v3.58 and continued todisplay the video correctly. I've not tried the Component cable yet but I've no reason to think that won't behave just as the v1.6 did and display both  in 480i and, when selected, 480p. 

Hopefully the NTSC v3.58 manual selection isn't an integral part of this 'solution' and the important thing is the region swapping from PAL to NTSC with the disc in the tray. But why it is necessary to go through this rigmarole and then it suddenly starts behaving as normal continuing to do so from then on I can't even begin to guess at.

• 8 months later...

My TV does not allow manual selection or any "v3.58" settings. It's a consumer Trinitron NTSC. These options don't exist. The issue MUST be related to the modded console because I am testing with a retail disc and I simply don't see how this could have been overlooked where folks back then were popping a game into their consoles that was completely broken and unplayable. There would be more records.