OGXbox.com

Original xbox hard drive replacement

EzeeXbox

My Xbox is not modded and kind of wanted to keep it that way, I wanted to replace my hard drive, is it as easy as just putting a new drive in my xbox? because i heard about having to unlock and lock with eeprom key, is there a way i can do it without modding or unlocking and locking a hard drive? thankyou for your time everyone!

...is it as easy as just putting a new drive in my xbox?...

No, you have to obtain the key from the configuration EEPROM (backup all the data from this 2048-bit serial EEPROM chip) and lock a newly built (properly partitioned and FATX formatted) hard drive that contains the stock MS dashboard file set for the latest release 5960.

If you don't intending on running a new dash and only want to replace the hard drive, I would fit a temporary mod chip then fit the new HDD then use the OGXbox install 2021 disk to setup the hard drive as stock in the Xbox. Now that you have a stock Xbox with a new hard drive you can relock the HDD and remove the mod chip.
You now have a stock Xbox with a new HDD that can only play original games disks on a DVD that is going to stop reading disk's eventually.

Or you can leave the modchip active and then use backup's of the game disk's and the DVD drive will stop reading even quicker.

I would just either fit a mod chip or reflash the onboard bios then fit a bigger HDD ( 500gb minimum)then use a dash that looks like the original dash.

This way you get the benefits of having the games on the HDD (that saves the DVD drive) and the looks of a stock looking Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.