OGXbox.com

i have an xbox 1.0 what the best modchip for it

adam hunter

hello my friends i have an xbox 1.0 and i want to install modchip for what is best one for it and also mine works with 100.125 ac and i want to change it to 200.245 ac because iam living in kuwait how i can change that and can i change hetsink fan and use thermal grizzly thermal paste  

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Adam

25 minutes ago, adam hunter said:

I have an Xbox 1.0 and i want to install modchip for what is best one for it

The most popular is the Open Xenium but it really depends on what you plan on doing with the Xbox.

I find in most cases a simple Aladdin mod chip or a with the version 1.0 - 1.4 the on board bios chip can be re-flashed to do the same as a Aladdin modchip 

The biggest difference with the Open Xenium is it can have 4 different bios files saved on it.

30 minutes ago, adam hunter said:

mine works with 100.125 ac and i want to change it to 200.245 ac

Some of the power supplies can be converted to run on 220 volt from 110 volt.

Have a read of this.

If you are not 100% sure of working with mains voltage then DO NOT attempt this modification or if you power supply looks different then don't do it

40 minutes ago, adam hunter said:

can i change heatsink fan and use thermal grizzly thermal paste  

Yes you can but I would suggest you get a GPU heat sink from a later version as the small fan has been replaced with a bigger heat sink.

If you have a 3D printer there is a file on thingiverse to print some brackets mount a new fan in place of the old GPU fan.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Hello Adam

The most popular is the Open Xenium but it really depends on what you plan on doing with the Xbox.

I find in most cases a simple Aladdin mod chip or a with the version 1.0 - 1.4 the on board bios chip can be re-flashed to do the same as a Aladdin modchip 

The biggest difference with the Open Xenium is it can have 4 different bios files saved on it.

Some of the power supplies can be converted to run on 220 volt from 110 volt.

Have a read of this.

If you are not 100% sure of working with mains voltage then DO NOT attempt this modification or if you power supply looks different then don't do it

Yes you can but I would suggest you get a GPU heat sink from a later version as the small fan has been replaced with a bigger heat sink.

If you have a 3D printer there is a file on thingiverse to print some brackets mount a new fan in place of the old GPU fan.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

thanks for the help i would like add led screen and also add sata ssd hard desk also sata dvd player and all the emu that xbox can run but i wander if XBlast or Xenium who is the best from them and you didn't tall me if i can use thermal grizzly or not

The better chip is the XBlast. If you go with the OpenXenium you cant use XBlastOS on it because there are some bugs (So if you would like to update to 128MB you would need to buy one anway). So if you just want 4 bioses, go with the OX. If you like to have way more options and maybe update your XBox to 128MB, want TSOP control, HDD lock unlook and many more (I posted the Manual link) etc., the XBLast is the way to go. This chip isn't just a mod chip, it's also mighty tool.

9 hours ago, adam hunter said:

you didn't tall me if i can use thermal grizzly or not

Yes you can use that brand and i have used Arctic Silver 5, Prolima Tech PK-2 just don't use the white heat sink paste.

9 hours ago, adam hunter said:

i would like add led screen

The Open Xenium, X3 chip (If you can find one), Xblast lite, Xenium Ice, all support a LCD display.

The Xenium Ice is basically a Open Xenium and is sold by a forum member and he has different packages.

10 hours ago, adam hunter said:

also add sata ssd hard desk also sata dvd player

In my view a SSD is over kill for Xbox I would just use a 2tb hard drive and I have not heard of people using a Sata DVD but even if you did it will not read a original Xbox game disk plus the only need for a DVD drive is to setup the HDD then I use FatXplorer to connect the HDD to a PC to copy the Data to the HDD, Even now that FatXlorer can format a HDD for the Xbox there is no real need for a DVD drive.

Or you can FTP data to the Xbox as well it's just slow as an example to fill a 2tb HDD via FTP is around 4 days and the same amount with FatXplorer 24 hours.

Cheers

SS Dave

13 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Yes you can use that brand and i have used Arctic Silver 5, Prolima Tech PK-2 just don't use the white heat sink paste.

The Open Xenium, X3 chip (If you can find one), Xblast lite, Xenium Ice, all support a LCD display.

The Xenium Ice is basically a Open Xenium and is sold by a forum member and he has different packages.

In my view a SSD is over kill for Xbox I would just use a 2tb hard drive and I have not heard of people using a Sata DVD but even if you did it will not read a original Xbox game disk plus the only need for a DVD drive is to setup the HDD then I use FatXplorer to connect the HDD to a PC to copy the Data to the HDD, Even now that FatXlorer can format a HDD for the Xbox there is no real need for a DVD drive.

Or you can FTP data to the Xbox as well it's just slow as an example to fill a 2tb HDD via FTP is around 4 days and the same amount with FatXplorer 24 hours.

Cheers

SS Dave

thanks for the help but yesterday i opened my xbox and i found it has modchip its name applex i took a photo for it and is it a good modchip and what is it features and also when i turn on my xbox it flashing green and orange and also after i cleaned my xbox turn off with sound and when i take off the ide power cord it works can you tall me why and can i remove the modchip and add another one i took photos and videos 

photo one https://mega.nz/file/to1liAbb#EcwFSkRV1qq6433Z5lkuQWNMboQGvIthgZJyYe8oXbo

photo 2 https://mega.nz/file/t8sACRxL#MH2X47urzBR7Nx1xXAvjXeQawoCgI7ip07qDYrOkZfo

video after cleaning https://mega.nz/file/AhtQjbDA#i7ccp_vo_0TxKpaI1fQ-Ja4Ef7eZ4zc3dsV75KzPo_E

video when i turn it on flashing https://mega.nz/file/N9tUnZqR#0Kcr7WVzyfuut-2EHW_tCUhlpm6jRzeyWTR21bfpqKM

Edited by adam hunter
few

The AppleX chip is a old modchip and was install mainly to play backup's of your games (copies), The bios that's on that chip will allow you to load copies and homebrew disk's like install disk's and would also allow a new hard drive with a maximum size of 137gb.

In the other pic it looks like the clock cap is still there and it should be removed or replaced as it can leak and damage the board

MG-0686.jpg

The sound in one of the videos sounds like the hard drive is old and about to stop working.

The Orange/Green light is normally no AV cable.

As you are wanting to have a LCD screen you will need to remove this chip.

A lot of people that are new to soldering struggle with fitting a pin header to LPC port on this version of Xbox because there is solder filling the holes on the LPC port.

I am not sure of your soldering experience but if you have not had a lot of experience then find a old circuit board and practice on that 1st.

The wire in this pic is the D0 wire and you can leave it as it is, As the new chip will also need it and a lot of people have problems soldering the wire in the red circle.

IMG-0685.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

12 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The AppleX chip is a old modchip and was install mainly to play backup's of your games (copies), The bios that's on that chip will allow you to load copies and homebrew disk's like install disk's and would also allow a new hard drive with a maximum size of 137gb.

In the other pic it looks like the clock cap is still there and it should be removed or replaced as it can leak and damage the board

MG-0686.jpg

The sound in one of the videos sounds like the hard drive is old and about to stop working.

The Orange/Green light is normally no AV cable.

As you are wanting to have a LCD screen you will need to remove this chip.

A lot of people that are new to soldering struggle with fitting a pin header to LPC port on this version of Xbox because there is solder filling the holes on the LPC port.

I am not sure of your soldering experience but if you have not had a lot of experience then find a old circuit board and practice on that 1st.

The wire in this pic is the D0 wire and you can leave it as it is, As the new chip will also need it and a lot of people have problems soldering the wire in the red circle.

IMG-0685.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

thanks for the help i do have 120 gb hard drive can i install it and i don't have soldering experience and how i can let my new hard drive works with my xbox and how i can put the xbox games in the hard drive also if i remove the old chip can i install the new modchip and by the way i bought another xbox but its date is 6-6-2005 is that meaning the motherboard is 1.6b and what is the differents btween 1.0 and 1.6b and also it has loud fan sound what is the best fan for it

Using the chip that's in the Xbox now you could fit the 120gb hard drive then load a installer DVD like the OGXbox installer 2021 disk and that will setup the new HDD. The number of games is really hard to say but I would estimate somewhere around 15-20 Xbox games.

By fitting a new mod chip or re-flashing the onboard bios you can then use a 2tb or 3tb(2.2 useable) HDD and that can have just about all the Xbox games released on the hard drive.

12 hours ago, adam hunter said:

what is the differents btween 1.0 and 1.6b 

A version 1.0-1.1 has a larger bios chip(1024kb)onboard and the 1.2-1.4 has a 256kb bios chip and the 1.0-1.4  can also have the extra ram chips fitted.

The 1.6 board can only be mod chipped and can not have the ram upgraded.

The extra ram is not really any benefit to the Xbox games as they are made to run with 64meg but dash boards like XBMC, xbmc4games will run better with the extra ram and a lot of the emulators run better with the extra ram.

12 hours ago, adam hunter said:

it has loud fan sound what is the best fan for it

In my view just give the stock fan a good clean and it works best at 30%(stock speed is 20%), Are you sure it's the fan as I have had hard drives make a lot of noise as well.

Cheers

SS Dave

11 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Using the chip that's in the Xbox now you could fit the 120gb hard drive then load a installer DVD like the OGXbox installer 2021 disk and that will setup the new HDD. The number of games is really hard to say but I would estimate somewhere around 15-20 Xbox games.

By fitting a new mod chip or re-flashing the onboard bios you can then use a 2tb or 3tb(2.2 useable) HDD and that can have just about all the Xbox games released on the hard drive.

A version 1.0-1.1 has a larger bios chip(1024kb)onboard and the 1.2-1.4 has a 256kb bios chip and the 1.0-1.4  can also have the extra ram chips fitted.

The 1.6 board can only be mod chipped and can not have the ram upgraded.

The extra ram is not really any benefit to the Xbox games as they are made to run with 64meg but dash boards like XBMC, xbmc4games will run better with the extra ram and a lot of the emulators run better with the extra ram.

In my view just give the stock fan a good clean and it works best at 30%(stock speed is 20%), Are you sure it's the fan as I have had hard drives make a lot of noise as well.

Cheers

SS Dave

thanks for the help but i could not solved the problem that not allowed my xbox to work  when i remove ide power cord my xbox works when i put it back it turns off also when i put another hard dive it works for short time then turn off and how i can do re-flashing for the onboard bios and is that meaing i can't add more ram for my 1.6b xbox and the sound of the fan is so load not the hard drive what is the best fan for it and what is the best modchip for my 1.6b xbox?

5 hours ago, adam hunter said:

what is the best modchip for my 1.6b xbox?

The Open Xenium but you will need good soldering skills as the is some extra wire links that need to be added to the main board to make it work.

6 hours ago, adam hunter said:

what is the best fan for it

The original fan

You can use the fan from any Xbox version (1.0 - 1.6)

6 hours ago, adam hunter said:

when i remove ide power cord my xbox works

Do you mean the 40 pin plug?

Do you get a picture on the screen?

Cheers

SS Dave

39 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

The Open Xenium but you will need good soldering skills as the is some extra wire links that need to be added to the main board to make it work.

The original fan

You can use the fan from any Xbox version (1.0 - 1.6)

Do you mean the 40 pin plug?

Do you get a picture on the screen?

Cheers

SS Dave

what is the Open Xenium  features 

the ide power cable photo in the attachment 

original.jpg

On 7/14/2021 at 3:08 AM, adam hunter said:

what is the Open Xenium  features

The Open Xenium has the ability to hold up to 4 X 256kb bios files and control a LCD to display basic information.

Multiple bios files is good if you want to experiment with the different types of bios although on the version 1.6 you have a choice of 2 the EvoxM8-plus.bin and the X2-5035.67-16.bin

It also has it's own operating system that has a basic Hard disk tools, EEprom editor.

As you mentioned you are wanting a LCD this is the chip you will need or if you can find one a X3 mod chip, The other chips that can run a LCD are the Xblast Lite, Xenium Ice.

Here is the Open Xenium manual for you to have a read of.  https://1fichier.com/?xezkl5rr0ur8utuz5xk6

Fitting any modchip in a version 1.6 needs some soldering of wire links to rebuild the LPC port something like this.

1-6-rebuild.webp

Cheers

SS Dave

On 7/13/2021 at 8:21 PM, adam hunter said:

when i remove ide power cord my xbox works when i put it back it turns off also when i put another hard dive it works for short time then turn off

You might have a power supply problem.

Cheers

SS Dave

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

You might have a power supply problem.

Cheers

SS Dave

look i forget to tall that i took the hard drive for the xbox and put it in my pc and opened a program to check out the hard drive it told me that the hard drive is so bad and when i put another hard drive the xbox works for short time then turn off and is Open Xenium has the ability  to add hdmi slot because i saw many xbox owners their xboxes have hdmi slot and how do i know if the xbox 1.0 power supply and should i buy 100 watt or i can buy 200 watt 

9 minutes ago, adam hunter said:

Open Xenium has the ability  to add hdmi slot because i saw many xbox owners their xboxes have hdmi slot 

You can have a HDMI output without a modchip.

You have 3 options of HDMI

1st is fit a internal HDMI in place of the AV connector on the Xbox. This one is from N64freak and is uses the Dolby Digital signal for sound

PXL-20210620-031143521.jpg

2nd is the same but with a cheaper HDMI adaptor. this one is a 1/4 of the price of the N64freak but it only uses analog audio and the video conversion to HDMI is not as good

Internal-wii2hdmi-in-Xbox.jpg

3rd is a plug in solution. This one is much the same as the 1st one and about 1/2 the cost of the 1st and is plug and play (no soldering) but there is over 1100 on order so there will be a long wait.

products-5f10a6ea39073_hdmi.thumb.jpg.4858d318c661e059532dec3e187bc677.jpg 

The other option is to make a component lead using the plug from a normal AV lead for the Xbox and a Xbox 360 component lead.

All these options will get you HD video on a NTSC enabled Xbox

Cheers

SS Dave

46 minutes ago, adam hunter said:

how do i know if the xbox 1.0 power supply and should i buy 100 watt or i can buy 200 watt 

What do you mean by 100 or 200 watt are you taling about a voltage converter 100 to 200 volt or 200  to 100 volt?

Cheers

SS Dave

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

What do you mean by 100 or 200 watt are you taling about a voltage converter 100 to 200 volt or 200  to 100 volt?

Cheers

SS Dave

i meant in my country we use 200-240 vlot and i will never find 100 volt xbox power supply so if bring 200-240 volt power supply will it work?

Xbox power supply come in 2 different voltages 100-127 volt and 220-240 volt. There is 3 different versions of each voltage

1.0-1.1 110v and a 220v

1.2-1.4 110v and a 220v

1.6 110v and a 220v

You should if you can get the correct voltage supply for country and if you can not get the right one you can get a step up or down transformer to run it.

Cheers

SS Dave

12 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Xbox power supply come in 2 different voltages 100-127 volt and 220-240 volt. There is 3 different versions of each voltage

1.0-1.1 110v and a 220v

1.2-1.4 110v and a 220v

1.6 110v and a 220v

You should if you can get the correct voltage supply for country and if you can not get the right one you can get a step up or down transformer to run it.

Cheers

SS Dave

thanks for the help but you still not told me about why the xbox shutdown after i put another hard drive how i can let it run  

11 hours ago, adam hunter said:

thanks for the help but you still not told me about why the xbox shutdown after i put another hard drive how i can let it run  

What voltage reading have you got on the yellow and red wires at the power connector with out the HDD connected.

I think the power supply is probably shutting down with the extra load of the hard drive.

Cheers

SS Dave