OGXbox.com

Overclocking the Xbox CPU, Ram

KpCollins

Is this possible? Preliminary searches on google show me a few things but I can't be sure so rather than searching high and low I though i'd ask you lot

This is something I found btw, i've not even downloaded it yet so don't know if it contains a virus ( link to site, Sites clean )

https://www.h4ck.se/how-to-overclock-your-original-xbox-in-2019/

1 hour ago, KpCollins said:

Is this possible? Preliminary searches on google show me a few things but I can't be sure so rather than searching high and low I though i'd ask you lot

This is something I found btw, i've not even downloaded it yet so don't know if it contains a virus ( link to site, Sites clean )

https://www.h4ck.se/how-to-overclock-your-original-xbox-in-2019/

XBOverclock v1.0 downloaded from https://github.com/WulfyStylez/XBOverclock/releases is not a virus.  It is used to do exactly what the tutorial you linked to describes - overclock the Xbox.  It is used to adjust the NVCLK (NV2A GPU core clock) and CPU FSB  clock speed (system front-side bus: used by the CPU, SB, etc.).

So you don't brick your console by pushing the the hardware past its operational limits, it is best to install a modchip that supports multiple BIOS banks.  That way, you can have one bank flashed with the original working BIOS and another free to flash with the overclocked BIOS.  If overclocking fails, you can still boot the console by switching to the working original BIOS bank and try overclocking with slower settings.  Select the bank with the overclocked BIOS before reflashing it after updating the overclocking settings.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

XBOverclock v1.0 downloaded from https://github.com/WulfyStylez/XBOverclock/releases is not a virus.  It is used to do exactly what the tutorial you linked to describes - overclock the Xbox.  It is used to adjust the NVCLK (NV2A GPU core clock) and CPU FSB  clock speed (system front-side bus: used by the CPU, SB, etc.).

So you don't brick your console by pushing the the hardware past its operational limits, it is best to install a modchip that supports multiple BIOS banks.  That way, you can have one bank flashed with the original working BIOS and another free to flash with the overclocked BIOS.  If overclocking fails, you can still boot the console by switching to the working original BIOS bank and try overclocking with slower settings.  Select the bank with the overclocked BIOS before reflashing it after updating the overclocking settings.

I assume you don't get a huge gain from this as Id imagine MS designers pushed the most out of the limited resource they had.?

9 hours ago, Acidmank said:

I assume you don't get a huge gain from this as Id imagine MS designers pushed the most out of the limited resource they had.?

it varies for everyone but your assumption wouldn't be correct. Why would they sell something maxed out? Maxed out = unstable. The varying environments the Xbox would be placed in would not always provide adequate cooling. The variance in chip capability would make a large amount of chips unstable even in perfect environments. They always build in some headroom. 

8 hours ago, OGXbox Admin said:

it varies for everyone but your assumption wouldn't be correct. Why would they sell something maxed out? Maxed out = unstable. The varying environments the Xbox would be placed in would not always provide adequate cooling. The variance in chip capability would make a large amount of chips unstable even in perfect environments. They always build in some headroom. 

That's an interesting response.   Of course they would allow some headroom for variances.   That goes without saying.  ( We are talking intel silicon )

However the gains are unlikely to be much unless you hit the 'silicon lottery' and had that perfect chip etc.    I wouldnt expect much more than a few percent at best?

I was just trying to get a feel for what that might be and is it worth the effort..     

3 hours ago, Acidmank said:

That's an interesting response.   Of course they would allow some headroom for variances.   That goes without saying.  ( We are talking intel silicon )

However the gains are unlikely to be much unless you hit the 'silicon lottery' and had that perfect chip etc.    I wouldnt expect much more than a few percent at best?

I was just trying to get a feel for what that might be and is it worth the effort..     

There are threads on here of people getting 100mhz or more BUT, when people overclock you never know their situation and how long they actually ran it. Also there is really not any benchmarking we can run to make sure it is stable. So it is REALLY difficult to say how far you could push your silicon. If 1mhz down from a crash gets a successful boot, it sound as though we both understand that is still not stable in all likelihood. So I think it might be a bit higher than you're guessing but not as high as reported previously. 

Interesting, thank you for the replies. It will be something to Digest as I have an Aladdin Chip and a Jafar Chip so might try some over clocking on the Jafar

When you mention bricking it, This Jafar chip i'm getting has a 512 and 256 bank and an additional Xblast Bank which boots everytime. Could I flash an overclocked bios to that chip, if it fails re flash the bios with a normal one?

Seems to make sense or would it destroy the actual bank itself?

16 hours ago, KpCollins said:

When you mention bricking it, This Jafar chip i'm getting has a 512 and 256 bank and an additional Xblast Bank which boots everytime. Could I flash an overclocked bios to that chip, if it fails re flash the bios with a normal one?

Yes, have one bank flashed with a non-overclocked BIOS and use the other bank to flash an overclock modified BIOS.

Boot either into XBlastOS or the non-overclocked bank if the overclocked one doesn't work.

13 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Yes, have one bank flashed with a non-overclocked BIOS and use the other bank to flash an overclock modified BIOS.

Boot either into XBlastOS or the non-overclocked bank if the overclocked one doesn't work.

That'll work great, I've just fitted my first Aladdin chip as practice for the Jafar. It was a pain as I go no signal at times with Flashing Red. Re-seating the Aladdin seemed to sort it, it was getting the rest of the parts in without catching it. 3 Attempts at soldering finally got it

i'll make sure my next solder session of an LPC bridge ( what else to call the 12 pin thingy ) is better.

I think the Jafar has to be in at least a Crystal Xbox just because it cost me roughly £25 and has 2 nice Banks in it with XBlastOs to re-flash at whim.

All in prep to get ready for fitting ram.