OGXbox.com

Blackouts on HDMI with HDTV Converter.

jarno83

The 5 volt from the Xbox should be more than strong enough to run that HDMI converter.

I would see what happens after you have recapped the Xbox, also i think a lot of the issue is the lack of shielding on the video signals.

The White, Yellow will be the left and right audio these 2 should have there own shield.

The Red, Green, Blue will be the component video, each of these leads should be individually shielded

I suspect the Brown is the ground and the Black is the 5 volt.

You could try disconnecting the 5 volt wire and then connecting a external 5 volt plus and minus signal to the HDMI board.

The guys that make a good quality component lead use a individually shielded cables and the same should be used as the input to the HDMI adaptor.

The other option is fit a internal HDMI kit from N64freak, MakeMhz HDMI or join the backorder list for the Chimeric System HDMI

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

The 5 volt from the Xbox should be more than strong enough to run that HDMI converter.

I would see what happens after you have recapped the Xbox, also i think a lot of the issue is the lack of shielding on the video signals.

The White, Yellow will be the left and right audio these 2 should have there own shield.

The Red, Green, Blue will be the component video, each of these leads should be individually shielded

I suspect the Brown is the ground and the Black is the 5 volt.

You could try disconnecting the 5 volt wire and then connecting a external 5 volt plus and minus signal to the HDMI board.

The guys that make a good quality component lead use a individually shielded cables and the same should be used as the input to the HDMI adaptor.

The other option is fit a internal HDMI kit from N64freak, MakeMhz HDMI or join the backorder list for the Chimeric System HDMI

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I measured voltages on black(+5V) and brown(GND) and HDMI is happy when it's over 4.90V but if it falls under like 4.89V-4.88V it starts to blackout. I will find a USB lead to cut and solder to the adapter.

The main idea is to find some shielded wire and plant that adapter inside of the xbox.

Yeah, its cheap :) not as cheap as Wii2HDMI but still cheap.

EDIT: I desoldered black wire and soldered USB 5V and GND to the adapter leaving GND from xbox connected and adapter had power(the green led was on when USB plugged to TV) but no picture :(

Edited by jarno83

Hi, I replaced the 3 bad caps near CPU. Voltage is solid 4.93 at the adapter but still lots of cutoffs. Strange is that when I started testing, it was fine in XBMC4Games 720p but when I loaded game it started to cutoff. First like 3 times in 10sec but like after minute there was 2sec of picture for 10sec of cutoff 😂

If it wasn’t cutting off the picture was crips and no lines or interference.

Edit: I think I need to swap more caps. When it’s on dash or xbmc4games 720p it won’t cutoff. But happens in games when more power is consumed.

I tested my 1.6 again and it cutsoff even in dash 480p and even worse 720p.

Edited by jarno83

On 7/2/2021 at 8:57 PM, jarno83 said:

I measured voltages on black(+5V) and brown(GND) and HDMI is happy when it's over 4.90V but if it falls under like 4.89V-4.88V it starts to blackout. I will find a USB lead to cut and solder to the adapter.

The main idea is to find some shielded wire and plant that adapter inside of the xbox.

Yeah, its cheap :) not as cheap as Wii2HDMI but still cheap.

EDIT: I desoldered black wire and soldered USB 5V and GND to the adapter leaving GND from xbox connected and adapter had power(the green led was on when USB plugged to TV) but no picture :(

If you had no picture when using a external power supply I suspect the 5 volt power supply was a switch mode type and they are notoriously noisy as far as interference goes and was overloading the converter with signals it could not cope with.

As for why it drops out under 4.9 volt is a bit of mystery as I would have thought the this part was a 3.3 volt regulator, but 4.9 volt might be close to is low voltage dropout level .

A 3.3 volt regulator should run with a 4.3 volt but that is depending on the quality.

IMG-0987.jpg

1: should be 5 volt in

2: I think is ground

3: 3.3 volt?

Can you test the 5 volt supply at the red wire of the hard drive inside the Xbox with that HDMI adaptor connected, If the red wire has under 5 volt then you  should look at the Xbox power supply as it may need a recap.

Cheers

SS Dave

12 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

If you had no picture when using a external power supply I suspect the 5 volt power supply was a switch mode type and they are notoriously noisy as far as interference goes and was overloading the converter with signals it could not cope with.

As for why it drops out under 4.9 volt is a bit of mystery as I would have thought the this part was a 3.3 volt regulator, but 4.9 volt might be close to is low voltage dropout level .

A 3.3 volt regulator should run with a 4.3 volt but that is depending on the quality.

IMG-0987.jpg

1: should be 5 volt in

2: I think is ground

3: 3.3 volt?

Can you test the 5 volt supply at the red wire of the hard drive inside the Xbox with that HDMI adaptor connected, If the red wire has under 5 volt then you  should look at the Xbox power supply as it may need a recap.

Cheers

SS Dave

I measured the 3.3 regulator on that adaptor and it outputs solid 3.3V on dash where everything is fine and in game where it starts to cutoff.

Molex has solid 5.03V.

I think it's the noise from somewhere. Replacing the 3 caps was improvement(not cutting off in dash) but I think I need to replace more.

I tried to add a 100uf cap to adaptor power input but no difference. (100uf was maybe to big to filter noise)

Was it fitted in metal case or plastic case?

Maybe wrap the plastic case in tin foil.

You could also try a ferrite core over the lead to the HDMI converter.

Like one of these things as they are to trap high frequency interference

ferrite-core-product.jpg

If you are getting 5.03 at the Molex  connector and 4.9 at the HDMI then possably the power cable from the Xbox to the adaptor is to thin.

59 minutes ago, jarno83 said:

I tried to add a 100uf cap to adaptor power input but no difference. (100uf was maybe to big to filter noise)

try a 0.1 uf across the power and earth (black and the unused connection above).

Cheers

SS Dave

23 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Was it fitted in metal case or plastic case?

It had plastic case.

23 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

You could also try a ferrite core over the lead to the HDMI converter.

I don't have any of those to try.

I soldered extra gnd and 5V wires but still the same.

I desoldered cables from the adapter and soldered it to directly to AV port pins with shielded wires. The image is crisp almost no interference.

What I noticed. When I'm in 720p everything is fine. Dash is fine, XBMC4Games is fine and even I can play games(The Warriors 720p) BUT STRANGE IS that if I launch 480/480P game it starts to blackout. It even happens on dash! I think I need to test my xbox with another TV. I own Philips 55PUS7304/12.

12 minutes ago, jarno83 said:

It had plastic case.

I don't have any of those to try.

I soldered extra gnd and 5V wires but still the same.

I desoldered cables from the adapter and soldered it to directly to AV port pins with shielded wires. The image is crisp almost no interference.

What I noticed. When I'm in 720p everything is fine. Dash is fine, XBMC4Games is fine and even I can play games(The Warriors 720p) BUT STRANGE IS that if I launch 480/480P game it starts to blackout. It even happens on dash! I think I need to test my xbox with another TV. I own Philips 55PUS7304/12.

A quick look at the manual for that TV shows component input (Using 3.5mm to RCA adaptor) I would test the Xbox using that also check the TV for a gaming mode for the HDMI port you are using.

Cheers

SS Dave

4 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

A quick look at the manual for that TV shows component input (Using 3.5mm to RCA adaptor) I would test the Xbox using that also check the TV for a gaming mode for the HDMI port you are using.

Cheers

SS Dave

Everything working fine with component cable. I was thinking that maybe HDMI part of the TV is not working great with 480/480p 🧐

Ok, I tested it with another TV and still the same. I replaced many smaller caps on motherboard BUT NOOOO..... Now I blame the adapter itself :) If I win a lottery I'll buy XboxHD+ 🤣 but before that happens I'll make a DIY component cable from xbox360's one.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, its me again :) Yesterday I desoldered the adapter from AV port and replaced many caps what I hadn't replaced before. The picture is super clean and sharp. XBMC4Gamers is very clean, no noise that I can see and all that in 720p. I played "Enter the Matrix" in 720p like an hour. All super fine. But started "Vice City" it all went south again :( The adapter still doesn't like bellow 720p.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...