OGXbox.com

Original Xbox Power Button Repeatedly Pushed to Fail

Dusty Blue

Searched a good bit on the general symptoms of power button failure for Xbox original but most lead back to trace corrosion issues. The case here is a very small person got access to my original xbox and spent an unknown amount of time mashing the power button. The next time I went to turn her on, the power button flashed for a brief second and hard drive spun as well but then died. A few more attempts and now nothing happens. The switch still clicks audibly for what thats worth but no sounds that power is getting to anything and no light. I've opened it up to start looking at possible source of damage but have not come up with anything. Looking for any suggestions or guidance on where and what to probe. Thanks.

What version is the Xbox?

It could be anything from a dead PSU, Failed Caps, Trace corrosion, Failed power switch (what happens if you press the eject button?), Failed Main board.

Check the power supply for a STB (Stand-By) power and see if you get anything on the PowOn wire when you press the power button.

603501330_powersupplyXbox.jpg.ad6084eb60309db4840f14f779c66ba5.jpg

It would also help if you uploaded some pics of the boards to a pic share site and post the links here.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Unfortunately I don't know the version. Not sure if there's a way beyond the KD identifiers when you start up with no disc.

I can test the STB and upload pics as well. Well I disassembled, I looked for the classic signs of trace corrosion but found nothing. in fact the board is really clean compared to things I've seen. On the Power Supply side there is some hard paste in a couple places (thermal paste perhaps?) but otherwise I don't see really any components that look leaky, corroded.

One thing I found, after connecting all the components electrically but not assembling the box and screwing things back down: the power button and eject button both cause the fan to spin for about 1-2 seconds. That's all that happens, no lights or anything, just a quick spin up of the fan and then its dead.

Appreciate very much the reply!

4 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Sounds like a dead transistor on a v1.6 Xbox motherboard.  Is it a 1.6?

Q7C2 - MMBT4403LT1G

Yes, it appears to be a 1.6. Xcalibur video chip identified and I believe that was a 1.6 only feature.

Is Q7C2 the transistor you're suggesting to test?

Test the voltages like in this pic

IMG_20200302_142807.thumb.jpg.7a61bfeb8e605d1b0f772c1e7b410e10.jpg

6 hours ago, Dusty Blue said:

On the Power Supply side there is some hard paste in a couple places (thermal paste perhaps?)

It's a silicone glue to stop movement and high frequency noise and it normal.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

46 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

Dave thanks for this tip. Here’s a pic of that area though it’s Q7G1 and Q7G2, not “C” I assume it’s the right spot. I’m reading 5v on 2 when pushing power and -.6 on 1. 4.4v total measured across then so it would seem to check out.

0?ui=2&ik=7a424caaa2&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1703759816440468619&th=17a4f886b184d48b&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9jZQd3qzw81gXV8JoQA6IHTAtmO-HuqCkIy4zPfiMEbzHJ6fUZu_OZ-DBwnJqczZl3aon99hKBfST_pL96yTggRIrQFaHnuSURRMimWcZ_n4Jh6SymdsO_gO8&disp=emb

48 minutes ago, Dusty Blue said:

Dave thanks for this tip. Here’s a pic of that area though it’s Q7G1 and Q7G2, not “C” I assume it’s the right spot. I’m reading 5v on 2 when pushing power and -.6 on 1. 4.4v total measured across then so it would seem to check out.

0?ui=2&ik=7a424caaa2&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1703759816440468619&th=17a4f886b184d48b&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9jZQd3qzw81gXV8JoQA6IHTAtmO-HuqCkIy4zPfiMEbzHJ6fUZu_OZ-DBwnJqczZl3aon99hKBfST_pL96yTggRIrQFaHnuSURRMimWcZ_n4Jh6SymdsO_gO8&disp=emb

I get (Gone error 410) when trying to open the link.

Cheers

SS Dave

4 hours ago, Dusty Blue said:

Try using  file share site like Postimages.org then post the link here.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 6/27/2021 at 5:27 PM, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

Now that I have the right transistors, I get some of these readings but not all of them. Both transistors have a voltage measured.

• 2 months later...