OGXbox.com

Unable to get past Error 13 after installing Aladdin chip and new HDD

LousterB

Hi

So today I completed my first mod of an OG xbox and all went seemingly well.

On boot I can successfully get the EVO X logo to appear and with the original drive in it functions perfectly. However...

My intention was to also upgrade HDD to a 2tb drive. I was following a guide which seemed fairly straight forward and I've now hit a stop. AFAIK you're supposed to install the new HDD with IDE to SATA adapter, pop in Hexen on boot and it should load into it right? Well mine flat out refuses to go anywhere from boot except from Error 13. I've now tried several different troubleshooting attempts but still unsuccessful. I'm unsure at this stage whether or not the Drive adapter is a bit dodgy, only thing that's pointing to that is the fact is doesn't have any "Master Slave Select" pins for me to put a jumper onto.

Main other thing I've tried to get around this is by cloning the original drive to the new one. Followed a guide on how to hotswap the new drive in and then run chimp, but as soon as I hotswap the drive the Xbox doesn't want to recognise the original drive anymore and the whole thing freezes if I try to browse to Chimp from the main Dashboard. Tried it also within Chimp but this also fails, it either doesn't appear or thinks the new drive is the DVD drive.

At this point I'm looking at taking the original drive out and cloning it externally to the new one, I've got some external adapters but I'm a bit hesitant to do this as I roughly know of things like Drive Keys. The original drive is unlocked but I'm still hesitant to do this.

Would really appreciate some assistance with this one, I'm more leaning towards a dodgy IDE to SATA adapter or I'm just really unlucky. But any pointers to try before this or some advice with cloning the original drive externally would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys.

When you burn any disk for the OG Xbox it need to be written as slow as the burner will go.

Are you using  80 way IDE cable with the Sate adaptor?

Will the install disk load with the old hard drive?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

24 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

When you burn any disk for the OG Xbox it need to be written as slow as the burner will go.

Are you using  80 way IDE cable with the Sate adaptor?

Will the install disk load with the old hard drive?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Hi Dave

Is there any way within Windows to burn a disc slower? What's the recommended speed for a burner to go?

Also yep, using 80 way IDE cable and the Hexen disk with work with the old HDD. Just seems to be with the newer one it does not boot into Hexen, just goes straight to a error 13.

Thanks

LousterB

On 6/24/2021 at 1:54 PM, LousterB said:

Main other thing I've tried to get around this is by cloning the original drive to the new one. Followed a guide on how to hotswap the new drive in and then run chimp, but as soon as I hotswap the drive the Xbox doesn't want to recognise the original drive anymore and the whole thing freezes if I try to browse to Chimp from the main Dashboard. Tried it also within Chimp but this also fails, it either doesn't appear or thinks the new drive is the DVD drive.

Without a jumper to set the adapter as the SLAVE device on the IDE bus during cloning (hot-swap connected to the DVD drive's IDE connector), Chimp cannot be used to clone the original to new hard drive.  Most IDE-to-SATA adapters without the IDE device selection jumpers operate as the IDE bus MASTER. 

On 6/25/2021 at 6:31 AM, LousterB said:

Hi Dave

Is there any way within Windows to burn a disc slower? What's the recommended speed for a burner to go?

Also yep, using 80 way IDE cable and the Hexen disk with work with the old HDD. Just seems to be with the newer one it does not boot into Hexen, just goes straight to a error 13.

Thanks

LousterB

If the install disk loaded with the old hard drive in the same DVD drive then that's unlikely the problem.

Just checking that you are cold booting the Xbox with the install disk in the DVD drive (load the DVD in the drive and power off and on ).

You can rule out the 80 way IDE cable by connecting the old HDD in place of the new HDD and Adaptor and if it boots that narrows it down to the HDD or the Sata2Ide adaptor at fault.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 6/26/2021 at 1:02 AM, SS_Dave said:

If the install disk loaded with the old hard drive in the same DVD drive then that's unlikely the problem.

Just checking that you are cold booting the Xbox with the install disk in the DVD drive (load the DVD in the drive and power off and on ).

You can rule out the 80 way IDE cable by connecting the old HDD in place of the new HDD and Adaptor and if it boots that narrows it down to the HDD or the Sata2Ide adaptor at fault.

Cheers

SS Dave

Hi Dave

Sorry for the delayed reply, I wasn't able to access the website for some reason and only just got back on. 

Figured it out! dodgy IDE to SATA converter, teaches me for buying cheaper parts haha. All seems good now, will follow up if there are any issues.

Cheers

LousterB

On 6/25/2021 at 9:31 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Which IDE-to-SATA adapter are you using?  

Hi KaosEngineer

Figured it out! dodgy IDE to SATA converter, now got a Startech one which people have highly recommended and its now working as intended.

Cheers

LousterB

• Like 2