OGXbox.com

Ram upgrade 128 MB

willers

Performed ram upgrade with 1 chip in area 4 near CPU using soldering iron using Ali express bought chips. X blast on spiderchip loaded first time but Ram test failed.

Attempted reflow of chip using SMD hot air station. Modchip won't boot blue light on modchip illuminated. Xbox either goes on off 2 times and then flashes red and green or else when I disconnect modchip the Xbox logo displays with error 07 then flashes red green. Not sure if modchip isnt working now. Wondering is this normal behavior as I'm getting a normal Xbox boot up without modchip?

It sounds like you had a bad connection from the spider chip to the main board.

Clean all the connections from the spider chip and the mating points on the main board and try again.

Was the mod chip set to load Xblast as a default bios?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The Spiderchip(solderless) only has 256kb single bank and I made sure to flash xblast prior to carrying out upgrade. Initially it did load before I reflowed ram. 

Only thing now is I'm having to hold the chips pogo pins down over the lpc holes  as it's a very difficult chip keep aligned. Wondering if I've damaged the modchip by putting too much pressure on it's top side.

I wonder if without the modchip in place is it a good sign to have the normal boot up x box logo but then get customer service 07 error code? Just to note while testing I don't have either the hard drive or DVD drive connected and I believe 07 error code is the error code for that.

Thought I read somewhere that old method before xblast was to have an orange/green flashing light and would indicate a RAM/CPU issue?

Edited by willers

I would be trying to get the mod chip working without needing to hold it down or fit a soldered in mod chip.

I would try linking the D0 point to ground and testing the mod chip again.

Error 7 is the HDD timed out and that would be from the drive not connected.

I have read some where about the led flashes but you will need to fit all 4 extra chips for that method to work then it is guess as to the chip or chips that are causing the problem plus green/orange is normally a AV cable issue.

1609599386_Xboxlederrorcodes.JPG.bb789c825acd7e3a8a80bfd47d764340.JPG

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Great thanks for the info on the lights. Right good news is I'm able to get the modchip working again. I think the D0 was pushed too far into the via or maybe I was pushing the modchip down too hard. 

128MB test failed for all 4 chips. I've now checked the chip and tried reflowing I don't know how many times at least 5 times now. 

What I'm thinking of doing next is taking the chip off and trying a different one from scratch. Another thing I'm thinking is removing solder from 2 via holes I left under the RAM as I couldn't remove them.

Is solder in via holes gonna cause issues?

Edited by willers

5 hours ago, willers said:

128MB test failed for all 4 chips. I've now checked the chip and tried reflowing I don't know how many times at least 5 times now. 

What I'm thinking of doing next is taking the chip off and trying a different one from scratch. Another thing I'm thinking is removing solder from 2 via holes I left under the RAM as I couldn't remove them.

I had owner supplied Ram the after I fitted 3 of the 4 chips  and had 3 not work I wound up using Ram from my stock then I asked how it was removed and was told a heat gun so I suspect the 4th chip is also cooked from excess heat used in the removal process.

I have also had a better success fitting ram with a soldering iron compared to using hot air.

Cheers

SS Dave

Ok no I think I may have misled you there. What I meant is I've only installed the one RAM chip into the fourth RAM chip area on the board where I believe it's the most difficult area near CPU and GPU and there are lots of caps around it. I'll get pictures it's probably the easiest to show you. 

The 128mb RAM test in XBLAST has failed for all 4 chips. 

Another thing to note is I haven't put any extra solder on the pads or pins. I just aligned the chip, fluxed with rosin pen and soldered each of the pins.

34 minutes ago, willers said:

Ok no I think I may have misled you there. What I meant is I've only installed the one RAM chip into the fourth RAM chip area on the board where I believe it's the most difficult area near CPU and GPU and there are lots of caps around it.

I always start with that chip and get that one out of the way because of the heat sink getting in the way

36 minutes ago, willers said:

Another thing to note is I haven't put any extra solder on the pads or pins. I just aligned the chip, fluxed with rosin pen and soldered each of the pins.

I tried to use the solder that was on the board from factory once now I clean all the pads and start with fresh solder 0.5mm 60/40 solder.

It sounds like you might have 4 dud chips where the chips new or salvaged.

And you are not tiring to mix the Samsung with the Hynix brand from a 1.6 board are you?

Cheers

SS Dave

Pins 14, 15, 16 look suspect

As the Xbox boots with only one chip then it would seem that the Xbox has not detected that chip.

The last ram upgrade I did I used Ram from AliExpress and had no problems, I did have one Xbox that would FRAG only when cold (over night room temp of 10c) and after it warmed up it was fine so a quick test of each pin with some fine tips tweezers I found 1 pin out of the 100 not soldered, Lucky it failed here as the owner lives in location that can have -10c (14f) and lower over night temps.

Cheers

SS Dave

Flux is your friend I use a Flux paste in a syringe

I also use a 60/40 leaded type solder that's 0.5mm with the iron temp of 330c to 375c depending in the size of the joint

solder-flux.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

7 minutes ago, ChaoticAnarchyX said:

I dunno if it's just me, but some of your caps (C3F6, C3F10, R3F2 if im readung the board right) look bad on the tops. Anyone else see this as well??

That's just the plastic covering melted from the soldering iron touching them.

Cheers

SS Dave

Finally I got all the RAM installed. Only problem now is that blasted spiderchip which I have press it down to boot the Xbox now. I do have a new Aladdin chip on the way with Xblast pre installed so I'll be soldering that in ASAP. 

I also have the N64 freak HDMI port to install in the box next. Any have this and was it easy enough to install?

P_20210626_170419.jpg

Why not flash the on board bios chip?

Fitting a N64 freak HDMI is not to bad the hardest part is removing the old AV port without damaging the main board.

This is fitting a wii2hdmi in a Xbox but the producer is very similar and there is no audio port to worry about.

821987935_XboxWii2HDMI1.thumb.jpg.cc1477a6ca978a60464672d0f5855137.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

@SS_Dave I'm taking your advice with the TSOP flash. 

So am I right in thinking in order to flash TSOP I just need to solder the points on the mainboard for 1.4 Xbox and use OGX 2021 installer by sweetdarkdestiny to install Bios to TSOP? Is there anything cruicial I'm missing or pitfalls to watch out for while doing it?

The 1.2 - 1.4 are the easiest as both links are on the top of the main board

12top-1.jpg

The BIOS size is a 256kb and I would use the Ind5004.67 in the flash section for modchip/onboard (TSOP)

Once you have flashed the new bios file you can leave the links on the board.

Cheers

SS Dave

20 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

...<image and associated text removed>...

The BIOS size is a 256kb and I would use the Ind5004.67 in the flash section for modchip/onboard (TSOP)

Once you have flashed the new bios file you can leave the links on the board.

Cheers

SS Dave

The latest patched ind-bios 5003 fixes two major bugs it had. 

1. Not requiring the triggers to be held in the button combo to power off the console
  2. Properly configuring access to the additional 64MB of RAM on 128MB modded motherboards.

IND-BIOS 5003 Shutdown+Ram Patched+XBL Enabled.zip

23 minutes ago, willers said:

I've always used Ind5003.06 with my modchip, I thought Ind5004... was buggy and could brick Xbox?

Is it better to use .67 than .06? I know it relates to giving drive F and G but is it best to use one over the other and why?

The original iND5003 had a bug or 2 and the 5004 was the update

The .67 version is for F and G drives (Partition 6 an 7) and even if you only have a 500gb I would still use it so if you upgrade the HDD to a 2tb or 3tb(2.2tb useable)you don't need to reflash the BIOS.

The .06 is for F drive only(Partition 6) and no G drive

As KaosEngineer has mentioned the iND 5003.67 patched is newer and that's also on the OGXbox installer 2021 disk.

Cheers

SS Dave