OGXbox.com

Replacing the clock capacitor

CrazyCatGuy

A while ago I removed the clock capacitor from an Xbox v.1.1.

Some days ago came the new capacitor I had ordered and I got to install it. Now, since I'm a complete amateur on the soldering thing, I may have damaged the capacitor or the mb, or the soldering job I did isn't good enough, BUT, how long is the date/time expected to last with a same rating capacitor? I never actually used a new Xbox and I don't know.

My first results show that I must have messed up the installation. As far as I can tell I put it in the same place where I removed the old one (there was a leftover capacitor leg in one of the holes) and I used the correct polarity (the negative of the capacitor to the white side of the board's schematic). The capacitor I used is the one in the picture below.

Thank you!

capacitor.thumb.jpg.42485fb4ea12580419731a84b25facff.jpg

The time and date retention is 3 to 5 hours with the power lead disconnected. The design of the clock circuitry in the OG Xbox is crap and even a good quality CR2032 battery would only last up to 3 months then it would need replacing before it started leaking.

In me view not worth replacing the cap for and even the 1.6 boards I work on only hold time for about 20 minutes with the original cap and would be 3 to 5 hours with a new cap.

As my Xbox is connected to the home network it updates the clock on power on from the internet anyway.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CrazyCatGuy said:

Just 3 to 5 hours? So, it was there just to keep the time while you were moving the xbox from one room to the other or to your friend's house? Fine then. Maybe I did do the installation correctly and didn't damage anything..

Thank you.

It sounds like it's working then.

I saw my 1st clock cap damage in 2005 so make sure you keep an eye on it and Super Caps have always been a issue and not just in game consoles.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

That suggested 3 - 5 hours date/time retention for a new clock cap is a significant underestimate.

It may vary with the cap type but even my not replaced yet original clock cap in a 2005 chipped v1.6 still retains it for longer. But it does seem to depend on how long your previous session lasted. BTW the Xbox concerned is not connected to the internet at any point either.

Last night I was using it for a couple of hours (playing Mercenaries) and I turned off/unplugged the Xbox as I always do afterwards. I've just checked and the last save I made was at 1.32am and it is now 12.45pm here. So I think it is fair to say it is still retaining the settings for at least 12 hours.

Originally, with similar session lengths, I've found that and other Xboxes maintain the info in the same circumstances for 24+hrs.

The clock cap may also be irrelevant to the time/date retention if you used SID to softmod the Xbox. Because of an oversight it will not retain any time/date after, I think, June 2019. It reverts to an earlier one at any reboot. I think it is the date of the SID installer itself but I might be wrong about that.

Although this has apparently been fixed in the most recent version of SID the most common version you find online is still SID v5.11/12 which does have the problem. The final version of AID installs v5.11 SID too. Rocky5's XBSMT doesn't have the same trouble but I'm not sure about HeXEn installed softmods.      

Edited by HDShadow

5 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Last night I was using it for a couple of hours (playing Mercenaries) and I turned off/unplugged the Xbox as I always do afterwards. I've just checked and the last save I made was at 1.32am and it is now 12.45pm here. So I think it is fair to say it is still retaining the settings for at least 12 hours.

What date/time does your console display?  Is it showing the current date and time?  

Saves are stored on the hard drive.  They won't go away after the clock cap has discharged. 

Only the correct date/time of the console will be lost.  And, an unmodded console will ask for you to set it.  Modded the default min date/time value of the particular mod will be used to set the clock.  Thus, it won't have the correct date/time.

Yes, the manually set date from my current or previous session if that hasn't gone. This is relevant to this matter as that relatively quick check I mentioned I did to confirm how long the time/date had been retained boosted the retention another 12 hours. When I turned the Xbox on at about 11.30pm I was surprised to find I dd not need to adjust the time/date, it was still showing the correct time. 11.30pm 16th June 2021.

Not sure about the relevance of that comment on game saves not going away.

I think you must have misunderstood why I mentioned it. I'd used the last game save I'd made to determine when I'd finished playing the previous session that's all. I usually save and backup save at the end of a session. Using the MS dash game save manager it displays the time and date of the save. Knowing that I could work out accurately how long the time/date had been retained by that Xbox. 

Edited by HDShadow