OGXbox.com

OG case fan refurbishable?

Paulius

Hello all.

I recently installed one of those ‘quiet’ case fans (Nexus 70mm Real Silent case fan) with the expectation that I would get quiet performance with the same cooling.  I was shocked that I had to drastically increase the fan speed to get the same cooling performance.

So, now I want to rethink my choice and  see if the somewhat noisy stock fan can be refurbished.  Other then seeing advice to clean the blades, I don’t see any other suggestions.  Before I tinker for myself, does anyone know if the stock fan can be disassembled, and lubricated with the hopes of getting the stock fan as quiet as it can be?  

Edited by Paulius

Stock fan is very high speed type, that's why it is running only at 20% by default. Typical case fans have to run at 50-100% to keep similar air flow, but for quiet model it shouldn't be louder than stock fan. 

There are about 3 types of stock fans. One of them has a cap at the back, under the sticker. With cap removed you can lubricate the bearing or dissasembly it. 

IMG_20170529_123954.jpg

I  here the same issue from other people that put a silent fan in with the temps gong up.

I found just giving the stock fan a really good clean with a small brush and 99% isopropyl then run  the fan at 30% in bios.

If you can here the fan then you must be sitting on top of the Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thanks guys for the details. 

2 hours ago, TEK Nemesis said:

Absolutely!  There are lots of videos that show you how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRkHq-P9TQE

I watched this video and it seems that there needs to access to caps to be able to disassemble. (Under a sticker) From the pictures shared, it appears that only the NMB model.  This is the model I have.  

Before I attempt this refurb as demonstrated in the video, I’d be interested if anyone else has tried this too?  

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I  here the same issue from other people that put a silent fan in with the temps gong up.

I found just giving the stock fan a really good clean with a small brush and 99% isopropyl then run  the fan at 30% in bios.

If you can here the fan then you must be sitting on top of the Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Maybe SS Dave has the correct approach and a good cleaning is really all I need and will improve the noise.  My fan was fairly dirty.  Does anyone vouch for going through the extra effort of prying the caps off and lubricating? (assuming the NMB model) and does it improve noise levels even more than just a simple exterior cleaning?

I would only remove rubber cap under the sticker and put lubricant to the bearing. However don't expect much difference - if fan is loud it means the bearing is worn-out. Ring on the shaft is plastic and easy to damage, be carefull if you want to fully dissasembly this fan. 

• 3 weeks later...