OGXbox.com

Config magic mishap..

Silver

On 6/1/2021 at 10:21 AM, Silver said:

Is this xbox unusable now?

Not if you have the eeprom.bin backup on your PC.

Or, the hardware and software to read the contents of the configuration EEPROM's content on the Xbox's motherboard.

Edit: Or, the easier fix. Install a modchip.

Edit 2: Wait, forget what I previously said - the hard drive is unlocked! :)

You can use FATXplorer to access the hard drive's content. 

Which brand and model of hard drive is it?  What type of interface does it have IDE or SATA?

5 minutes ago, Silver said:

No never backed it up.. 

Murphy's law if you have a backup of your Data you will never need it but the day you don't have a backup the system will fail

Time to hard mod the Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Rocky5's ConfigMagic v1.6.1 mostly GUI update might have prevented this as it is made difficult to exit ConfigMagic with an unlocked HDD and warns you not to do it if you're using a softmod. Use of his v1.6.1 update is recommended for this reason.

This case is also another good example of why once you've softmodded your original 8GB - 10GB you should immediately install another, bigger HDD and keep that original one, locked of course, as backup for just such situations.

I've never had cause to use it in such circumstances but if ConfigMagic has been used a master password "TEAMASSEMBLY" may have been enabled. Not sure if it can be used to relock a Xbox HDD though; others here may know about that.

Also ConfigMagic may have written the eeprom.bin to the root of the E:\ at some point during the process. As the HDD is unlocked you could use a USB housing and FATXplorer to check whether that has happened.

If it was softmodded using SID/AID the eeprom might (it should be standard user practice) have been written to E:\Backup or the softmod's own E:\UDATA folder.

With the eeprom and XBHDM  you should be able to relock the HDD.

As I've been more into chipping and TSOPs recently I've not done it for some time but with softmods, as I was strongly advised to do as a Xbox modding noob by people like Heimdall (HeXEn) on the Xbox-Scene forum, I routinely backed up the eeprom (EvoX) as part of the pre-softmod process.  But later I also unlocked and relocked all my softmod HDDs with ConfigMagic to enable that master password option, just in case.  

15 hours ago, HDShadow said:

I've never had cause to use it in such circumstances but if ConfigMagic has been used a master password "TEAMASSEMBLY" may have been enabled. Not sure if it can be used to relock a Xbox HDD though; others here may know about that.

The "TEAMASSEMBLY" password, MASTER password, can only be used to unlock the drive if you don't have the EEPROM backup file, eeprom.bin.  The HDDKey is stored in it.  This key value, hard drive model number and serial number are used to compute the USER locking password.  However, since the drive is unlocked, you can read data from it on a PC with the correct port.

Is it an IDE drive or a SATA drive with an IDE-to-SATA adapter?

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 5:09 PM, Silver said:

No never backed it up.. 

Which softmod did you install? 

Most softmods create a backup of the EEPROM's content and store it on the hard drive.

You can use a few different applications to access the content on the hard drive since it is currently UNLOCKED:

1. If it's a stock IDE hard drive, XboxHDM 1.9 if you have a PC with a native IDE interface
  2. XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or Beta 3 - the Xbox hard drive connects to the PC with a USB-to-HDD interface adapter (IDE/SATA or a combo with both interfaces available)
  3. XboxHDM-2.3-Beta 4 - the hard drive can be connected to the native interface or with a USB-to-HDD interface adapter.
  4. FATXplorer 3.0 Beta

Also ConfigMagic may have written the eeprom.bin to the root of the E:\ at some point during the process. As the HDD is unlocked you could use a USB housing and FATXplorer to check whether that has happened.

If it was softmodded using SID/AID the eeprom might (it should be standard user practice) have been written to E:\Backup or the softmod's own E:\UDATA folder.

With the eeprom and XBHDM  you should be able to relock the HDD.

Edited by HDShadow
  • Like 1