OGXbox.com

Just installed OpenXenium chip. Retail kernel loads black screen / idk what to do

Baron

What ups

So glad I found this awesome forum for the OG. I installed an OpenXenium chip and now I don't know what to do. My goal is to swap the original HDD (which is EVOX softmodded) with a spare 1TB I have laying around. I tried adding the retail kernel to the launch menu but it isn't working. On the original HDD the xbox boots to a black screen, on the spare HDD the xbox boots to an error screen. What is my next step?

You need to add a non-retail BIOS to the Xenium Launch Menu and set that one as the default BIOS.  (I'm not sure why you'd want to add a retail BIOS there as it would serve no purpose in a hard-modded Xbox.)  

From there, if the 1TB HDD is blank, use something like TruHexen 2021 in your DVD drive.  You'll be able to setup a new HDD that way. 

If you get an error message after bootup, please indicate what the error number and message are.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, Baron said:

What ups

So glad I found this awesome forum for the OG. I installed an OpenXenium chip and now I don't know what to do. My goal is to swap the original HDD (which is EVOX softmodded) with a spare 1TB I have laying around. I tried adding the retail kernel to the launch menu but it isn't working. On the original HDD the xbox boots to a black screen, on the spare HDD the xbox boots to an error screen. What is my next step?

What version of Xbox have you got?

Did the Open Xenium come with BIOS files? What BIOS?

Also if the soft-mod on the old hard drive is old it will not play nice with a modchip and give you  black screen.

As TEK Nemesis has mentioned why do you want the retail bios as the only reason it was needed was for Xbox Live.

I would fit the new HDD and then load your install DVD (OGXbox Installation 2021) 

https://1fichier.com/?mz8reyoryml7jlg7m4b8

The software should prompt you how to set up the new HDD 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

Here is one to get you started 

IND-5003.67 patch MakeMHz IGR XISO.bin

evox_m8+_67.bin

You can also fine them on installation disks

copy the 2 files to a USB or FTP to your Xbox C:bios folder

If you have the files on a USB connect to you Xbox with a USB to Game port adaptor.

Boot the Xbox with the eject button and a Open Xenium menu should open

Select the Launch menu then Add new item.

Now select Flash.

Then select the drive just above X, Y, Z drive (probably H drive) and you should see a list of bios file select one press A and follow the prompts

IF you have put the bios files in C drive the select that .

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thanks. Hmm, well for the 5 seconds I was able to log in via FTP before it crashed and the Xbox froze I saw that there is nothing there. No C drive, so I guess I have to format that HDD first? This is the spare 1TB drive that I had laying around, I am not sure if it is truly blank but I figure I'd be able to format it from the Xbox. Unfortunately I don't have a USB adapter.

Hey, yes I have the OG Installation 2021 disk burned to a dvd from the link you provided. Yes I get the Open Xenium menu when I power on with the eject button. I cannot find a way to actually boot that disk though.

Edited by Baron
Added detail

You can FTP to the console throught the XeniumOS when it is running. 

Look at the network settings to see the IP address you need to FTP to.

You can then see if the drive has any partitions on it: C, E, X, Y, Z and F.  

Which version of the XeniumOS is running? 

It should be displayed when then XeniumOS starts when powering on the console with the Eject button.

The open Xenium can format C and F drives of a new hard drive 

if the HDD is new then try that 1st then you can FTP the bios to the hard drive.

Or you should be able to burn a DVD with the bios files on it

Have you tried to have the intall disk in the DVD drive then power on with the eject button the enter the launch menu and select add new item, bios as depending on the DVD drive it may pickup the bios folder on the installation DVD on D drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

When I try to format the C or F drive it just says failed to format partition. I wonder if something is wrong with the HDD.

It's a Thomson DVD drive. So to install the BIOS from a dvd it would be add new launch item> flash? When I do that with the installation dvd in and select D, the next screen is just blank. Nothing for me to select.  I don't really understand what powering on the xbox with the eject button is supposed to do. When I do that it looks the same as when I power on with the normal power button only it opens the dvd drive too. I could try burning the BIOS to a dvd.

Edited by Baron

23 minutes ago, Baron said:

When I try to format the C or F drive it just says failed to format partition. I wonder if something is wrong with the HDD.

It's a Thomson DVD drive. So to install the BIOS from a dvd it would be add new launch item> flash? When I do that with the installation dvd in and select D, the next screen is just blank. Nothing for me to select.  I don't really understand what powering on the xbox with the eject button is supposed to do. When I do that it looks the same as when I power on with the normal power button only it opens the dvd drive too. I could try burning the BIOS to a dvd.

Normally to get to the Open Xenium Menu you need to use eject button and normally the power button will load the default bios.

26 minutes ago, Baron said:

It's a Thomson DVD drive. So to install the BIOS from a dvd it would be add new launch item> flash?

Yes you could try that.

Was the Hard drive used in a PC before? if it was you could try the low level format the KaosEngineer mentioned.

Cheers

SS Dave

41 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

If the 1TB hard drive was previously used on a computer and has partitions and data on it, I suggest wiping it clean before having the XeniumOS format it for the Xbox.

Use HDDGuru's HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool.

Yes it was, I did format it with diskpart > clean all but I will try that tool.

22 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Normally to get to the Open Xenium Menu you need to use eject button and normally the power button will load the default bios.

Ah alright, but since I do not have any BIOS installed currently, that would explain why both buttons have the same result.

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

If the drive has some thing strange in the TOC (table on contents) of the HDD  like a Xbox 360 hard drive then a OG Xbox will not format it.

Using a LLF program will clear that.

Cheers

SS Dave

13 hours ago, Baron said:

The drive should not be formatted by Windows. It needs to be a blank, wiped clean. No Windows partitions allocated.  In WIndows' Disk Management Tool, the entire hard drive should appear as unallocated space.

On 6/5/2021 at 1:27 AM, KaosEngineer said:

The drive should not be formatted by Windows. It needs to be a blank, wiped clean. No Windows partitions allocated.  In WIndows' Disk Management Tool, the entire hard drive should appear as unallocated space.

Sorry for the delay guys, real life and all that... After running that formatting tool, I see the disk as one big unallocated space. Unfortunately that didn't fix anything. I even tried with a different drive. Still always fails to format from within Open Xenium.

BIOS need to be in the c drive of that hdd, which I can't format the c drive because it always fails so im stuck there. I can't use the OG installation dvd to format that hdd because I don't have any BIOS which I need in order to boot from the dvd drive, is that correct?

Do you have a USB to game port?

You can put a bios file on a USB and the use the Open Xenium bios manager to copy  a bios to the mod chip

Find the smallest USB ( I have Verbatim 8GB) and put the EvoxM8 plus on it

Add this to the Open Xenium using the Launch menu, Add item, Flash, Drive F (it was on my Xbox)

EvoxM8+v16.bin

This one work on all version of Xbox.

I have managed to set up a new HDD using the Open Xenium HDD tools once and it was a pain in the backside to do as the tools included are really made for a 8gb hard drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 6/8/2021 at 8:54 AM, Baron said:

Sorry for the delay guys, real life and all that... After running that formatting tool, I see the disk as one big unallocated space. Unfortunately that didn't fix anything. I even tried with a different drive. Still always fails to format from within Open Xenium.

BIOS need to be in the c drive of that hdd, which I can't format the c drive because it always fails so im stuck there. I can't use the OG installation dvd to format that hdd because I don't have any BIOS which I need in order to boot from the dvd drive, is that correct?

You can flash a BIOS to the OpenXenium via a web browser (HTTP) connection.  Enable networking in the Xenium OS to know which IP address to connect to.

Download the Xenium OS v2.0 User Manual to learn more about all most of the functions available in its OS.

HTTP flashing is not mentioned in this manual. :(  Not sure, when that option was added - it is in v2.3.1.

Edit: Hmm, I need to double-check the HTTP flashing option.  Maybe I'm confusing it with the X3 modchip.

16 hours ago, Baron said:

BIOS need to be in the c drive of that hdd, which I can't format the c drive because it always fails so im stuck there

No it doesn't The open xenium can read a USB connected to a game port that has bios files on it.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 6/9/2021 at 1:44 AM, KaosEngineer said:

You can flash a BIOS to the OpenXenium via a web browser (HTTP) connection.  Enable networking in the Xenium OS to know which IP address to connect to.

Download the Xenium OS v2.0 User Manual to learn more about all most of the functions available in its OS.

HTTP flashing is not mentioned in this manual. :(  Not sure, when that option was added - it is in v2.3.1.

Edit: Hmm, I need to double-check the HTTP flashing option.  Maybe I'm confusing it with the X3 modchip.

Cool thanks for this, I'll give it a read through. I am able to access it via HTTP, and I see the option you are talking about. So from here, I should upload that EvoxM8+v16.bin SS_Dave provided right?

XeniumOS.PNG

7 minutes ago, Baron said:

Cool thanks for this, I'll give it a read through. I am able to access it via HTTP, and I see the option you are talking about. So from here, I should upload that EvoxM8+v16.bin SS_Dave provided right?

XeniumOS.PNG

Yes that bios file has been tested on a version 1.1 and a 1.6.

You can always add more files later but that one will get you started.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1