OGXbox.com

Returning to the classic after 20yrs !

Josweet

Since buying the classic back in 2001 & modding it, then three more in 2004 & modding those also, this week i decided to crack them all open and get them back up together after many, many years of service.... untouched!

The upgraded HDD's are getting noisy & the rom trays stopped working way back when, so i would just ftp games across.

I have so far stripped & cleaned them thoroughly, desoldered the clock cap in two and fixed the rom draw trays in all consoles. ... however i need to advice on parts!

At least one of the rom drives are failing to read discs so i want to replace the laser, as tweaking the potentiometer would be only be a temp fix imo.

Where would be the place to go to buy

* Replacement lasers

* Timer caps ( this is what im considering atm) 5.5v/1F  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283213698254?hash=item41f0da14ce:g:exAAAOSw8-lccKry

* Belts, as one of those is looking a little warped ? 

I found some stuff over at Aliexpress (modchips) but unsure about the rest

Giving back>>

I found that over time the case screws had become sloppy and would not tighten even though the top screw case standoff's were not cracked. which is the usual case.

The internals of them are basically just bored out to much. To fix, i cut the end off a Cable tie (Zip tie)  to match the length of the stand off and inserted it.

Thats it, all tightened up as should be at the cost and ease of nothing ;)  Hope this help someone.

Edited by Josweet

3 hours ago, Josweet said:

At least one of the rom drives are failing to read discs so i want to replace the laser, as tweaking the potentiometer would be only be a temp fix imo.

Where would be the place to go to buy

Your best bet is to search evilBay but in my view all the DVD drives are going to fail any way and your chance of getting  good working drive is getting less every day

I have quite a few DVD drives here that either don't work or only read some disks and now some of the Xbox's I sell have the DVD disconnected and are sold as with a non working DVD (but with a 2tb fully loaded who needs a DVD).

As for the practice of pot tweaking I also believe it's a temporary fix and I tested pot tweaking in some car CD players with only a small percentage of success.

Timer caps ( this is what im considering atm) 5.5v/1F  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283213698254?hash=item41f0da14ce:g:exAAAOSw8-lccKry

I don't bother replacing the Clock cap as it only keeps the date and time for around 4 to 5 hours anyway but any super cap is ok 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-1F-2-7V-Farad-Super-Capacitor-2-7V1F-Nichicon-Ultra-Capacitor-/153771359610

All my Xbox's are connected to my home network an set the clock via the internet on booting any way

Belts, as one of those is looking a little warped ? 

I found some stuff over at Aliexpress (modchips) but unsure about the rest

Aliexpress or eBay is your best bet.

I found that over time the case screws had become sloppy and would not tighten even though the top screw case standoff's were not cracked. which is the usual case.

The internals of them are basically just bored out to much. To fix, i cut the end off a Cable tie (Zip tie)  to match the length of the stand off and inserted it.

The only time I have had issues with case screws is snapped or cracked posts. I have used tooth picks in place of a cable tie in similar situation. 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1