OGXbox.com

HDD/OS upgrade for a working 1.6A Xbox with a Super Aladdin Live modchip

Mave_rick

Hi there, 

Noob that just join this community for some solid advice/direction for my upgrade,  

I have a working 1.6A xbox with a Super Aladdin Live modchip running XBMC on a 80 Gb IDE HDD

My aim is to upgrade the HDD to a 500 Gb Sata HDD (I know I could go bigger) and also upgrade to Rocky 5 instead.... 

I currently have:
- The 80 wire/40 pin IDE cable (ATA 100/133)
- IDE to Sata converter 
- 500Gb Sata HDD

What are my options? Do I have to hot swap the HDD with the disk drive with a program running on the xbox ?  

Thanks in advance for any help or links for guides/programs to help me !! 

Rocky 5 is a softmod.  It's not needed as you already have a hardmod (Super Aladdin).  There's so many things that you can do and that's what makes this scene so exciting.  

A super simple upgrade is to download an Xbox HDD image (like a 500Gb Dragon build).  After you download it, you would connect the HDD to your computer and use a program like "HDD Raw Copy Tool" to write the image to the HDD.  When complete, it's as easy as plugging the HDD in and starting your Xbox.  It works right away without any tinkering.

Alternatively, you could download a program like TruHexen 2021 and burn it to a DVD.  Once the DVD is written, put it in the Xbox DVD drive, connect the new HDD and power up the Xbox.  If memory serves me correctly, TruHexen will detect the new HDD and ask you if you want to set it up.  There are a bunch of things to do in the setup process but just remember that you have a hard mod so you won't need to install a softmod.  The goal here would be to install something like XBMC4Gamers and then transfer your games/emulators to your HDD yourself.

Take a look at YouTube as there are lots of wonderful videos for the Xbox.  Mr. Mario has excellent ones.  There are demos of Dragon and XBMC4Gamers setups.  

I look forward to seeing what you can do with your Xbox.  If you want some cool gadgets (like an Xbox HDMI adapter, wireless controller adapter to use Xbox One / PS4 / and other modern controllers with your original Xbox) then send me a PM.  

Cheers!

1st download a copy of the OGXBox installer disk from here https://1fichier.com/?cth0up49z0ehhtm0rtce and burn to a DVD-r as slow as the burner will go.

As the bios on the modchip is probably old I would suggest you update it from the OGXbox installer disk you just made (have a look in the live apps under Bios's)

You are looking for  EvoxM8.67 cee type

Then fit up the new hard drive and use the Install disk to set up the new HDD as this will format the hard drive and install a dash board to get you started.

I would suggest you try several different dash boards to find one you like (Me I use the xbmc4gamers)

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 6 months later...

Hi there, 

I have been trying to get this working on my modchiped v1.6, but still no success. 

I am able to boot the dvd with OGXbox installer 2021 v1.5.4, on the main screen in the top right this is what my system says: 

Xbox V1.6
Video: NTSC M
Chip: Protected 

Is the protected chip stopping me from being able to flash the bios?

As when I add my SATA HDD and try load the dvd (to setup the new hard drive) it does some thinking and then loads a screen with green text telling to to contact suppliers or the manufacture. 

What am I doing wrong?

- The new 80-pin IDE cable works with the old HDD,
- The SATA HDD spins and has power 

As a note, I also have a working version 1.0 Xbox with clock caps removed, but no mod chip on that. and has not be softmodded either. 

Any help would be very appreciated, I really just want to load my games from HDD, so I don't wear out the optical drive, or ruin the games. 

Thank heaps !!! 

20211204_190000.jpg

20211204_173742.jpg

The info "protected chip" dosn't stop you from flashing a new bios to your Aladdin. The info just means that UnleashX didn't know your chip. Nothing you should worry about.

17 minutes ago, Mave_rick said:

As when I add my SATA HDD and try load the dvd (to setup the new hard drive) it does some thinking and then loads a screen with green text telling to to contact suppliers or the manufacture. 

What new HDD do you use?

SInce the DVD boots up fine with the old HDD I say the bios on the chip is ok. Maybe needs to updatet later on (for bigger HDDs for example #LBA48 support) but it should not prevent your XBox from booting. And you say the cable is working fine also I would think it's maybe a WD green HDD? Does the HDD work when you connect her to your PC?

And whats the error number you get on your screen?

1 hour ago, Mave_rick said:

Is the protected chip stopping me from being able to flash the bios?

Yes. 

Edit: Hmm, I'm contradicting what @sweetdarkdestinysaid.  Don't worry about what UnleashX says.  Run evoxdash and see what it displays when you try to flash the modchip.  If you get an error:

Manufacturers ID 09 Device ID 00 
Flash not writable!

the modchip is write-protected.

To disable write protection with some Aladdin modchips, you have to hold the power button for 5 to 10 seconds when powering on the console.

Edit2: I found the description of the ChipID skin variable's value in the UnleashX Tutorial PDF file:

• "ChipID" -The type of chip being used, i.e. SST 49LF020. if unknown, it defaults to "Protected BIOS".

The SST49LF020A used on your modchip should be known by UnleashX.  IIRC, it is one of the more common flash memory chips used on Xbox modchips at least on the Aladdin series of Xbox modchips. 

I need to do a bit more research to determine which flash chips UnleashX can ID.

Edit3: UnleashX should recognize the SST49LF020A.

And, with UnleashX 0.39.0222A Build 572 and 0.39.0528A Build 584, ChipID displays "Protected", not "Protected BIOS" if the flash memory chip ID is unknown.  However, it should not be unknown unless it is write-protected.

The list of known flash memory chips that I found in UnleashX 0.39.0222A Build 572 is:

• SST49LF040 - SST
  • SHARP - LH28F008SCT
  • W29f020 - Winbond
  • M29F002BT70N1 - ST
  • M29F080A - ST
  • 49LF020A - SST
  • 49LF020 - SST
  • HY29F080 - Hynix
  • HY29F002 - Hynix
  • MBM29LV400BC - Fujitsu
  • MBM29F040C - Fujitsu
  • MBM29F080A - Fujitsu
  • Am29LV800B - AMD
  • Am29F080B - AMD
  • Am29F016 - AMD
  • A29002 - AMIC

1 hour ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

What new HDD do you use?

It's just a typical Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 500Gb.

Dam it!! I think I got scammed from Trademe, I just tried plugging into my pc and got 11 clicks from it, then silence. I fear this is the "click of death" from the new HDD 

1 hour ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

And whats the error number you get on your screen?

There was no error number, it seemed like it was a factory screen that appears when a hddor something serious fails. It had multiple languages and green writing, seems like it was from Xbox. 

So we found your problem. Dead HDD - I guess.

What does the windows disk manegment say's (IF something at all)? Does the HDD shows up there and IF can you format it or just silence?

If you can't get the HDD to work under Windows, send it back DOA. :(

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

WALL OF TEXT. :D

My aladdin also shows up as unknown but flashes and works fine. So like I said, nothing anyone should worry about. ANd btw. even the LPC2 cheap mod "things" I have soldered to the 1.6 shows up as unknown which has a 49LF020.

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

35 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Well, if I say you are wrong here, you kick me in my bud right? But you know what, I take the risk. US to Gööörmany is a far distance just to kick my ass all over the place so.....

UnleashX (v0.39.0528A) displays some TSOP's correctly. ;) 

Nothing wrong with saying I'm wrong when I am wrong. ;)

• Like 1

So I am still not having any luck with a brand new WD Blue 1TB SATAIII. 

Is there a file image or program to setup the HDD completely by plugging it into my PC, then just swapping it into the xbox?

Cheers for all your help, It's cool to see the modding scene is still active and helpful !!   

So more updates, 

I managed to get my PC to set up the HDD but now the dashboard only sees F drive with 123Gb of the 1Tb HDD, the dashboard also seems to think I have 128 MB of RAM?  

But when the OG Xbox installer 2021 is loaded the spec screen shows the full 946Gb as free 

In XBpartitioner 1.3 it says LBA48 patch v3 and my extended partition 6 has a cluster size of 64, and 924.06 GB space

When I try flash the bios with OG Xbox installer 2021 and I've also now tried TruHeXEn 2021 it still says

Manufacturers ID bf Device ID 57
Flash Type SST 49LF002A 
Erasing

This just stays on the screen in the blue box at the bottom, my xbox doesn't restart itself, I have to restart it myself. 

Is it also odd that printed on the chip is SST 49LF020A, is this a big difference, or are they the same chip ? 

I tried the RAM test to just to check everything, and I got the following

Tested memory: 131072
Memoryblocks OK: 54976
Memoryblocks ERROR: 0
Blocks not able to allocate: 76096
Number of CRC errors: 0

When I ran XBlast OS (XBE) v0.56 it says Modchip: Unsupported modchip

What points to I solder to remove the write protection ? and to also permanently run the mod chip ? 

Also any other suggestions would be very appreciated, thanks for helping troubleshoot this with me 

to make the chip always active remove the wire from the terminal marked BT and link the terminal to pin2 (ground) and it will also enable writing as the mod chip sees it as a long press.

Like this

20211204-173742-thumb.jpg

I would also remove the wires from L1, L2 as they are not needed.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

7 hours ago, Mave_rick said:

But when the OG Xbox installer 2021 is loaded the spec screen shows the full 946Gb as free 

OGXbox Installer 2021 boots a BFM BIOS that replaces in memory the original one that booted from your modchip that supports LBA48 v3.  The BIOS booting from your modchip does not.

You need to install XBPartitioner v1.3 as an application on the Xbox's hard drive and run it from there.  An error message about no LBA48 support found will most likely be displayed after you start it.

What kernel version does the replacement dashboard show when booting the console with the BIOS on the modchp, not after booting the OGXbox Installer 2021 disc?

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

You need to install XBPartitioner v1.3 as an application on the Xbox's hard drive and run it from there. 

I hate it but you are (let's try to avoid the word wrong) not so right like me. He can format the HDD without the need to install XBP to the HDD.

• Launch XBP of the DVD - Lower the size of both partitons a bit and format it and reboot.
  • Launch XBP of the DVD again and max out the partitions and format it again.
  • All errors should be gone

For normal Dave post that, ;D and it's written in the read files no one reads and in the info boxes everyone seems to ignore. :D;)

9 hours ago, Mave_rick said:

Wall of text.

XblastOS should flash that chip just fine when you go to the flash section. The bios should be in C:\Bios and named bios.bin (C:\BIOS\bios.bin)

How ever, EvoX should flash that thip without any problem as well.

I also checked a ModChip table I have here and it say's that the Aladdin Live has a write potection mode which must be disabled. And if I remeber right you do that with the power button.

• Quick Push - Chip is off.
  • 1 or 2 sec the chip is on
  • Longer push (3-4 sec until the xbox led flashes) write protection of.

But maybe it also works if you do like Dave wrote to solder that tiny wire to set the chip to be always on.

EDIT: 

Found an older post from Dave :

Modes:

Off - Tap the power button and the Xbox starts as normal with the original BIOS.
On - Press and hold power button for 1 second and the Aladdin XT is activated.
Writeprotect - Press and hold power button for 2 seconds and the Aladdin XT is activated in flash write protect mode.
Visual Mode Indication: The power LED will indicate the current mode by different colors.
Off - Green (Normal) / Orange (HDD access)
On - Orange (Normal) / Green (HDD access)
 Writeprotect - Continuous flashing Orange/Green

The same should apply to the live chip (almost)

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
At least I found one typo. :D

I'm not sure how much longer I will work on trying to mod this. New problem..

All of the "info" text and pop up messages when reading the DVD with OGXbox Installer 2021 are now triangles, and blank text and unreadable. 

Not sure how I managed to mess up something that is being read from the DVD. 

I can no longer use the DVD (both version 1.5.3 and 1.5.4) to format the HDD as if it was new. 

• Confused 1

WHAT? You broke my installer? Shame on you. :D;)*Just kidding*

Could you take a picture please?

I mean, for normal you can set up the HDD on the PC with FatXplorer (And it format right away without errors (So no need to reformat anything like when using the DVD). Eaton did a great job there.

So the only problem is to flash the Aladdin with the right Bios. So what I would do now is, pull out the HDD again and format it on the PC. Copy over all files from the C and E folder.

Then check C:\BIOS. There are already 2 bios files in that folder. Rename the " EvoXm8plus.bin " to " bios.bin "

After that shut down the XBox (No DVD in your drive!)

Power up your XBOx. UnleashX SHOULD boot up. *Hopefully*. From there you can launch XBlastOS to flash the bios (IGNORE) the masse shown by XBlastOS unsupportet ModChip in the main screen. Go to the flash section and flash the bios.

IF that fails. Boot with the Installer and browse open the FileExplorer and go to " E:\Apps\XBlast" and launch the xbe file from of the HDD.

And if that fails als well you could try to launch EvoX of your HDD and try to flash the HDD.

The only problem which I guess could happen is, that the chip is still write protected.

Maybe, if you have set your chip to always on, like Dave wrote, you can also try to flash the chip again of the Installer DVD.

3 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Could you take a picture please?

The photo attached is on my TV, its very strange, the normal menus and text is fine, but when it opens a text document or a pop up window that has a yes or no choice, then it looks like that, or worse. 

My small D0 pad on the motherboard also detached. Is there more that one place to link D0 to ground on the (1.6)motherboard 

I'm thinking I might just get an XBlast lite chip and try that in my 1.0 xbox, and put the bigger HDD in that one and mod that, this 1.6 sucks 

20211207_233717.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mave_rick said:

My small D0 pad on the motherboard also detached. Is there more that one place to link D0 to ground on the (1.6)motherboard 

I normally cut the Lframe trace but it makes it harder to restore the Xbox to stock (but why would you do that), with the tracce cut you don't need the D0 wire at all.

833287352_1.6XboxLframe.jpg.c84ad20e1427d2a4961f4e5c1b5e73d9.jpg

The pic has Lframe to mod chip but's its's not needed.

Cheers

SS Dave

18 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I hate it but you are (let's try to avoid the word wrong) not so right like me. He can format the HDD without the need to install XBP to the HDD.

• Launch XBP of the DVD - Lower the size of both partitons a bit and format it and reboot.
  • Launch XBP of the DVD again and max out the partitions and format it again.
  • All errors should be gone

For normal Dave post that, ;D and it's written in the read files no one reads and in the info boxes everyone seems to ignore. :D;)

Cool,  But, the BIOS that boots from their modchip doesn't have LBA48 v2 or later support.  I wanted him to check how the HDD is formatted without booting OGXbox Installer 2021 that does have LBA48 v2 support.