OGXbox.com

OGxbox ‘normal’ cpu and m/b temperatures

Paulius

Hello, I am looking to understand what is the ‘normal’ range of cpu and m/b temperatures for a softmodded xbox.  I expected this question to have already been discussed here but I couldn’t find any direct answers on it.  My cpu temp after a recent gaming  session was 69c.  Is this too high or is it normal?  M/b temp was 53c.  I recently applied fresh thermal paste to both the cpu and gpu so that can’t be a reason for high cpu temps.  Maybe it would be useful for folks to post what temps they see during game sessions.  Thanks in advance for any guidance

10 minutes ago, Paulius said:

Version 1.0.  Maybe it was the game I was playing?  Spartan total warrior.  Other games seem to result in temps of 60c

60c is fine even the 67c you had when playing a game is OK in my view.

Also the fan speed will revert to the bios setting on the board (normally 20%)during the game and then when you reload the dash board it will go to the setting in the dash ( somewhere around 30%).

4 hours ago, cuacs said:

Not really be cause the link just returns me back to the OGXbox forum index

https:// www dot ogxbox dot com/forums/index.php

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

16 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Sorry, my mistake.

http://www.tinker-mods.com/FAQ/original-xbox/what-is-a-good-original-xbox-motherboard-temp.php

TjMax for the old Pentium III CPU's is around 85c officially. From what I've witnessed on the original Xbox, at around 82-83c the SMC will power off the console and blink the overheated LED error code. The other temperature reading is for ambient case temp. ("air" temp.), which seemingly has no purpose

If your CPU temp. is sitting 10-15c below max while gaming then there's no real issue. Almost everything on the Xbox runs as a 3D application just like games, there's no true "idle" state to compare against

If you're concerned with the temperature then you can turn up your fan speed and trade noise for heat reduction but I'm going to agree with Dave and say ~70c coming out of a game is okay

8 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

The link to tinker-mods.com's web page has been updated in the OP's post.  I'm not sure why the link was incorrect.

http://www.tinker-mods.com/FAQ/original-xbox/what-is-a-good-original-xbox-motherboard-temp.php

On 5/25/2021 at 12:03 AM, Paulius said:

Hello, I am looking to understand what is the ‘normal’ range of cpu and m/b temperatures for a softmodded xbox.  I expected this question to have already been discussed here but I couldn’t find any direct answers on it.  My cpu temp after a recent gaming  session was 69c.  Is this too high or is it normal?  M/b temp was 53c.  I recently applied fresh thermal paste to both the cpu and gpu so that can’t be a reason for high cpu temps.  Maybe it would be useful for folks to post what temps they see during game sessions.  Thanks in advance for any guidance

My Xbox 1.4 is with replaced thermal paste (AeroCool Baraf) and is running XBMC4Xbox as default dashboard. While doing nothing the CPU is at 34/35°C and the M/B (GPU) is at 32°C. While playing games the CPU is at 52°C and the M/B (GPU) is at 46°C. Of course i can't check the temps exactly while playing and maybe while restarting the xbox (to exit the game, so i can check the temp) it droops maybe around 2/3°C.

Hope that's helpful

Edited by Hari125

Just now, TEK Nemesis said:

that's impressive!  What is your fan RPM set to?

I suspect jet engine speed:8_laughing: or room temp of 0c(32f)

Cheers

SS Dave

• Haha 2