OGXbox.com

Can the fan cause unexpected shut down?

cuacs

Hello, I bought an OG v1.1 recently and worked just fine, it came with an Aladdin (I don't know what model, but assume is an old one). The chip doesn't worked so I softmodded and left the chip in its place. After a few weeks playing the xbox simply shutdown in the middle of a Mario Party gameplay and when try to turn it on it tried to boot from the modchip (I think it activates holding the power button for a few seconds). I though it was the CPU overheating, so increase the fan potency (x3), replace the thermal paste and remove the clock capacitor finding little to no corrosion in the board but quite a few components rusted, which I cleaned.

When I tried to play again it was even worse, it shutdown more often than before and when I turn it off the thing turn on again trying to boot from the modchip. Then I check for trace corrosion and there was nothing visible, but made the bypass for the 4 traces either, nothing new happened. Maybe the modchip was the problem, right? Well, no. After removing it, the only difference was that it booted normally.

Then I remembered that the freaking fan was on x3, and put it back to x1, since then no more unexpected turn offs or ons, it works as good as before.

I came here to ask the experts: this makes any sense at all?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not an expert but maybe it's power suply issue or bad capasitors.

When you change the fan to faster speeds then you also increase the current or voltage that is drawing.

Look for leaking caps and check the voltage coming out from the PSU (power suply unit).

XBox Psu Project - Hardware Mods - OGXbox.com

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2021 at 9:04 AM, Hari125 said:

I'm not an expert but maybe it's power suply issue or bad capasitors.

When you change the fan to faster speeds then you also increase the current or voltage that is drawing.

Look for leaking caps and check the voltage coming out from the PSU (power suply unit).

XBox Psu Project - Hardware Mods - OGXbox.com

Thanks for this, I suspect about capacitors, some are faulty I think, but can't find affordable replacements, shipping is to expensive for my location.

• Like 1