OGXbox.com

Yanimo

so got my uncle's xbox he said it does'nt work so I opened it up cleaned it then tried to turn it on. at first it booted og xbox boot animation with evox then shuts down, after which it tries to start up again maybe around 3x but at the end the Led would blink like crazy the powers off completely so how can I fix this.

When you say "....with evox...." what does that mean?

Are you talking about a pinky-purple EVOX logo in the top left corner of the screen or does it boot to an EvoX dashboard then shutdown?

If its the former then you likely have a chipped/TSOPed Xbox.

In any case you're probably going to have to replace or repair something internally so your first priority should be to open up the Xbox to see what it is like inside and whether it is chipped/TSOPed.

If its been in storage rather than being used a leaking clock or other capacitor is less likely but now it is practically mandatory to check any unknown Xbox for that as the consequences of not dealing with that can be serious.   

10 minutes ago, irlandez said:

hold the power button for about 2-3 seconds when you turn it on. this is the specifics of booting from a chip. if this does not help, try reinstalling the dashboard.

Looks like the chip is set to always on because there isn't any link attached to the front panel.

But the LPC looks very dirty or burned?

It would be inetresting to knkow how the Aladdin looks like rom the other side.

2 hours ago, HDShadow said:

A v1.6 with the now familar Aladdin XT Plus 2 chip.

The board looks quite clean.

Not seen a chip mounted quite like that ie. off the LPC.  Agree with sweetdarkdestiny: it would be interesting to see just how it is wired up underneath the chip itself.

That's how it should be installed.  Pin header soldered into the motherboard and modchip plugged onto the pin header.  easy to remove that way if needed.  Unlike using the quicksolder slot pads to directly solder it to the motherboard.  A pain to remove the modchip.

That my point, from the second pic provided there looked to be no pin header soldered onto the MB's LPC.

But on closer examination I can see that there is, it's just rather blurry.

You must also wonder if Yanimo presented it like that just to show the chip and if so why? If the chip had been located on the pin header you'd still see everything of significance that is shown in that second pic so why is it off the pin header?

He very likely does know it needs to be put back on and took it off for some reason but that does need confirming because it is somewhat  important. :)  

1 hour ago, HDShadow said:

You must also wonder if Yanimo presented it like that just to show the chip and if so why? If the chip had been located on the pin header you'd still see everything of significance that is shown in that second pic so why is it off the pin header?

He very likely does know it needs to be put back on and took it off for some reason but that does need confirming because it is somewhat  important. :)  

Am I missing some thing I see a pic of the bottom with the LPC rebuild and a pic of the top with the modchip fitted.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

16 hours ago, HDShadow said:

When you say "....with evox...." what does that mean?

Are you talking about a pinky-purple EVOX logo in the top left corner of the screen or does it boot to an EvoX dashboard then shutdown?

If its the former then you likely have a chipped/TSOPed Xbox.

In any case you're probably going to have to replace or repair something internally so your first priority should be to open up the Xbox to see what it is like inside and whether it is chipped/TSOPed.

If its been in storage rather than being used a leaking clock or other capacitor is less likely but now it is practically mandatory to check any unknown Xbox for that as the consequences of not dealing with that can be serious.  

evox logo on the top left

15 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Looks like the chip is set to always on because there isn't any link attached to the front panel.

But the LPC looks very dirty or burned?

It would be inetresting to knkow how the Aladdin looks like rom the other side.

IMG_20210517_131231.jpg

16 hours ago, irlandez said:

hold the power button for about 2-3 seconds when you turn it on. this is the specifics of booting from a chip. if this does not help, try reinstalling the dashboard.

Will try. but how do I reinstall a dash?

3 hours ago, HDShadow said:

That my point, from the second pic provided there looked to be no pin header soldered onto the MB's LPC.

But on closer examination I can see that there is, it's just rather blurry.

wait what now? 

Can you post a better pic of the LPC rebuild

3 hours ago, Yanimo said:

found these 2 traces that have been ripped? should I solder these on and where exactly.

IMG_20210517_132108.jpg

The trace from pin 1 looks like it might be connected.

And some of the via points look suspect as well.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Also take a look at beween the header and R7D8. Looks like tarce rot and a small solder blob (Or just dust?)?

Maybe you can use a q-tip and gently wipe over it before posting new pics?

cleaned it with q tip no luck

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Can you post a better pic of the LPC rebuild

The trace from pin 1 looks like it might be connected.

And some of the via points look suspect as well.

Cheers

SS Dave

2 traces were cut off

IMG_20210517_193229.jpg

51 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

And a pic of the bottom around the rats nest wire for the LPC rebuild please

Cheers

SS Dave

this? Rats nest HA! painted a smile on my face that one.

IMG_20210517_203330.jpg

9 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

9 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Am I missing some thing I see a pic of the bottom with the LPC rebuild and a pic of the top with the modchip fitted.

Cheers

SS Dave

Fitted to what? You can clearly see the LPC with blurry pin header and the Aladdin chip is below it ie. not installed on it or you wouldn't be able to see the pin header. Am I seeing things?

OGXbox.png.51e388008f1cc8516d6a6b56017c282b.png

As I said there may well be a good reason why the chip is shown like this in the pic ie. Yanimo wanted to show the pin header underneath. But you do have to check that the problem described is not just as a result of the chip not being fitted correctly or at all.

Edited by HDShadow

19 hours ago, HDShadow said:

A v1.6 with the now familar Aladdin XT Plus 2 chip.

The board looks quite clean.

Not seen a chip mounted quite like that ie. off the LPC.  Agree with sweetdarkdestiny: it would be interesting to see just how it is wired up underneath the chip itself.

I hadn't even noticed that the modchip was not attached to the pin header. I thought it was connected.  I should have taken a better look at the picture enlarged on a separate page. (or, I need better glasses) 

I now definitely see that it's not connected to the pin header.

When I said how it should be installed, I meant when connected properly to the pin header, not sitting off to the side of it.

14 hours ago, Yanimo said:

this? Rats nest HA! painted a smile on my face that one.

IMG_20210517_203330.jpg

Tried turning it on after soldering some traces that were cut off no luck. should I just remove the LPC rebuild and boot xbox to see if it works and to verify if the Modchip is the problem?

3 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

just disconnect the D0 wire that is on the ground that should let it boot from the onboard bios

Cheers

SS Dave

No luck. still tries to boot 3x then flashes orange