OGXbox.com

RAM Upgrade Double Power Cycle Then Solid Green

calebTree

I wonder if it's a RAM compatibility issue or indicating definitely damaged RAM IC? Does anyone know the max temp the RAM ICs are rated for?

I am working with a 1.4 revision board and an OpenXenium which should be booting straight to XBlast. I haven't seen much info anywhere about a solid green LED in the process of a RAM upgrade.

However when I've got a chip installed it power cycles twice then goes to solid green LED but no video and the OpenXenium LED is yellow whereas if XBlast were to have booted the OpenXenium LED would be green.

The board has default K4D263238D-QC50 and I have tested adding K4D263238M-QC50 (salvaged from a 1.0 revision board) and K4D263238F-QC50 (bought new on eBay but I used them).

No additional RAM boots and works fine.

Does the yellow LED on the OpenXenium indicate anything useful? What about the solid green LED on the console?

Thanks

Edited by calebTree

8 hours ago, calebTree said:

I wonder if it's a RAM compatibility issue or indicating definitely damaged RAM IC? Does anyone know the max temp the RAM ICs are rated for?

I am working with a 1.4 revision board and an OpenXenium which should be booting straight to XBlast. I haven't seen much info anywhere about a solid green LED in the process of a RAM upgrade.

However when I've got a chip installed it power cycles twice then goes to solid green LED but no video and the OpenXenium LED is yellow whereas if XBlast were to have booted the OpenXenium LED would be green.

The board has default K4D263238D-QC50 and I have tested adding K4D263238M-QC50 (salvaged from a 1.0 revision board) and K4D263238F-QC50 (bought new on eBay but I used them).

Does the yellow LED on the OpenXenium indicate anything useful? What about the solid green LED on the console?

Thanks

I personally have not used a Open Xenium when fitting ram (I use a Xblast chip made from a Aladdin chip) but it should work for testing ram.

It sounds like possible shorted pins on the ram.

You are fitting 1 chip at a time and testing it before moving to the next one?  that means you have 100 pins to look at for the short compared to 400 pins, The short could be a ball of solder between the legs and the chip body

I have fitted ram chips from version 1.0, 1.2, 1.6 boards and AliExpress on to all versions (1.0-1.4) of boards with no problems and I have read you can fit the Hynix brand chips from the later 1.6 but you need to make all 8 chips Hynix.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The way I read it the LED on the Open Xenium is not it's normal color for Xblast and that could be from the modchip not fully booting 

10 hours ago, calebTree said:

That's why I think a shorted pin, passably a reset pin is been held to ground?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I've had the "solid green/no-video" with 3 different RAM chips in two different slots. I've reflowed and re-soldered a bunch of times throughout my troubleshooting sessions and as soon as I've got all the pins down I get the "solid green/no-video". I've got good equipment and flux including a magnifying glass. I got a full 128MB RAM working my first try on a 1.0 rev. board so getting RAM down and working is not a hat trick and since then I've had tons more practice so the likelihood there is a short which I am somehow not seeing is small.

The other thing I kind of wonder is if this is expected behavior using an OpenXenium chip (even though it should be booting directly to XBlast). I'm not sure because the first time I did a RAM upgrade I had XBlast on the TSOP. This famous video explicitly uses a Xenium chip but not the one I have

Edited by calebTree

Taken from a install manual

Solid Green with no audio/video/eject
Problem: The unit will not show/give any audio, video, and will not eject the DVD drive. Nine out of ten Xbox’s with this problem usually have a problem with the system bios.

Fix: Usually installing a Modchip, and booting a hacked bios will fix this problem. If this error came about after installing a Modchip, check to see if all the solder connections are good. If so, try removing the Modchip to see if the Xbox boots alright off of the system bios (TSOP). If the problem only occurs when the chip is connected and the solder points are good, then it is possible the bios on the Modchip is bad. Some people have reported that their system was fine until they installed a Modchip and then received this error. After removing the chip, the error persisted. This could be due to a solder bridge on or around the LPC port, or D0 point. If this is the case, desolder the bridge and see if this changes the error.
3.Solid Green with no Audio/Video
Problem: The unit will not give any audio and video but will let you eject the DVD drive. It could be caused by a bad high definition pack, or disconnected a/v cables.

Fix: Check to see if the A/V cables are properly plugged in and the television is set to the appropriate channel. If you are using a high definition A/V pack, try using a standard A/V pack.

And here is a different version.

Solid Green (Coma Console)

Corrupt BIOS bank or unseated video cable.

Try another video cable. If 1.0 or 1.1 motherboard, solder A18 and/or A19 to ground. If all else fails, install a modchip.

I did not watch the entire video but the chip here has is the original version of the one you have and he isn't using Xblast as he talks about using the iND bios

This is the Xblast chip I made and use for ram upgrades, but the Open Xenium that has Xblast as the default boot bios should work as well.

IMG_20200624_120001.thumb.jpg.4c074f916cdf4c4e65452beb34411572.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

On 5/9/2021 at 8:04 AM, calebTree said:

I have seen those troubleshooting steps too but they don't seem related as it does boot fine w/o additional RAM installed.

I found some new RAM online but it was K4D263238F-QC50 and it did the same thing so I haven't eliminated the compatibility question yet. I haven't found K4D263238D-QC50 available anywhere yet.

I have a version 1.0 it has K4D263238D-QC50 ram and I fitted K4D263238F-QC50 ram

I also have a 1.4 that had K4D263238F-QC50 ram and I fitted K4D263238D-QC50 ram

A 3rd one is 1.1 and it had K4D263238M-QC50 ram and I fitted K4D263238F-QC50 ram

All are working fine, So I don't think it's the version of ram

Cheers

SS Dave

On 5/9/2021 at 8:04 AM, calebTree said:

I haven't seen much info anywhere about a solid green LED in the process of a RAM upgrade.

Yeah, I have also never seen this solid green related to RAM upgrade either. 

One thing I did notice is that XBLast 0.53 BIOS in an OpenXenium bank says "unsupported modchip" in the top left info on the main menu. Of course otherwise XBLast seems to work fine.

On 5/13/2021 at 3:53 AM, calebTree said:

Yeah, I have also never seen this solid green related to RAM upgrade either. 

One thing I did notice is that XBLast 0.53 BIOS in an OpenXenium bank says "unsupported modchip" in the top left info on the main menu. Of course otherwise XBLast seems to work fine.

The unsupported modchip is normal because the Open Xenium and the X3 chips have there own method of flashing the bios files though there own OS.

Cheers

SS Dave