OGXbox.com

Softmodded Xbox deletes files by itself, FTP transfers now partialy fail.

Doom87

Hello everyone!

Something very strange is happening with my softmodded xbox and I really can’t figure what’s wrong.

I recently got a used xbox in very good condition, cleaned thoroughly, clock capacitor removed, top notch condition overall.
So, I installed a new 1TB WD hard drive (WD10EZEX) and everything went great.
In the Hexen options I selected to make a big partition so I can put the games in there.

So, long story short, I transferred a whole lot of games with FTP using a crossover cable, directly from my laptop to my xbox, since the Ethernet method gave me low transfer speeds.
Everything was going great and at last I had a big library to choose and enjoy, even downloaded a big coinops pack! So, as you can tell I spent countless hours just transferring every day.
I played daily for 1-2 weeks with no problems at all.

Then one day, all of a sudden I saw that coinops was missing and some of the games also.

To my surprise, they were magically deleted, and it messed up the games folders, for example there was just an empty folder with the game name and nothing in it.

I couldn’t find any info online, so I decided to start transferring again and see if it will do this again.

And at that point I started getting errors in Filezilla, half of the files were transferring and the others failed. The ones that fail are always the same files, everytime in every game.

I even tried a different cable, but the result was the same.

Another weird thing is that the later partitions (X,Y,Z) sometimes have weird files in them and other times are empty, for example at one point there was a 500MB file called gta3image.iso or something like that, and at other times, just random assorted files that it creates and deletes by itself. I never mess with those partitions, it does this by itself. The only partition I access is F which is the main ~900GB partition with my “Games” folder.

So now, I’m with a half-broken xbox and can’t really tell what’s wrong.

Any advice or info what may be wrong (maybe something similar has happened to someone here), will be greatly appreciated!

I’m attaching a Filezilla report with a game I just tried transferring (25 to Life is the game), maybe someone could figure something from the report:

https://pastebin.com/cCgfgpvf

Please help me out fellas!

Thanks!

Edited by Doom87

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2021 at 5:51 AM, KaosEngineer said:

From what you describe is happening, I think the extended partitions have been formatted with the wrong cluster size.

Run XBPartitioner v1.3 (only use version 1.3, not an older release). 

Does it show ER to the left of the extended partition sizes?

Sorry for the late reply! I've been away from home all this time.

Yes, it show ER next to it, here's a screenshot of my XBPartitioner v1.3:

IMG-20210607-194001.jpg

What does that mean and what would I need to do?

How can I find out if it's been formatted wrong at 32kb clusters?
Because when I select it/highlight it in the bottom right it says "Will use 64KB clusters", so I assume it automatically understands the size, meaning that it may be already formatted in 64kb?

Please let me know.
Thanks!

Edited by Doom87

3 hours ago, Doom87 said:

Sorry for the late reply! I've been away from home all this time.

Yes, it show ER next to it, here's a screenshot of my XBPartitioner v1.3:

IMG-20210607-194001.jpg

What does that mean and what would I need to do?

How can I find out if it's been formatted wrong at 32kb clusters?
Because when I select it/highlight it in the bottom right it says "Will use 64KB clusters", so I assume it automatically understands the size, meaning that it may be already formatted in 64kb?

Please let me know.
Thanks!

Highlight partition 6 then use the Dpad right to decrease the size by 1 or 2gb then press start to format

When it's finished power cycle ( Power off the On ) the Xbox and load XBpartitioner 1.3

Now highlight partition 6 and use the Dpad Left to set to the maximum and press start to format and power cycle again.

Load XBpartitioner 1.3 and check it should now have 64 instead or ER.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

Yeah, that was it. It seem to have been resolved now and the uploads are transferring fine!

KaosEngineer helped me through all the process in reddit and I'm really grateful!
Thanks for your reply as well SS_Dave, that was the problem ;)

Hey there, I recently had this happen to me almost exactly as you described, especially with emulated games, and it was because the file name was too long, even though it was the default file name from the creators, usually they were long titles with a sub title that stretched the name past the character or text limit. It might be fine for windows, but the xbox had a smaller file title character limit than your desktop PC. If you rename the files to shorter names, usually it will work. However, changing the names also could change the file itself from working, in my case it was Bin and cue files for a ps1 emulator. In my case, I had to open the Cue file in notepad, and manually change the code and replace the bin file name to the new changed name, and everything worked just fine. I am almost positive this is what is causing your issue.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Maybe who knows...

I had downloaded and transfered a "Coinops Massive" pack with many many games in it.
Now that you said that, I'm afraid to transfer it again in case it creates the same problem and I'll need to reformat :(

@KaosEngineer Do you think that may cause the same problem again?

2 minutes ago, Doom87 said:

Maybe who knows...

I had downloaded and transfered a "Coinops Massive" pack with many many games in it.
Now that you said that, I'm afraid to transfer it again in case it creates the same problem and I'll need to reformat :(

@KaosEngineer Do you think that may cause the same problem again?

You should be right as long as the hard drive has been formatted correctly

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1