OGXbox.com

Problems with large G drive

ieblj01

I seem to have a lot of issues with my data files on my G partition.  Any emulators, games, media, etc., on the F partition work flawlessly.  I can copy the same files over to my G partition and it is very hit and miss on whether things will function properly.  There are also times when I can have everything working on G, then copy over some files (FTP or FATxplorer) and suddenly, things go wonky even with files that I never touched.

My HDD is a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB.  So my G partition is quite large (803GB).  My F partition is only 120GB.  I used AID to prepare/format the drive.

My BIOS is the EVOX m8+ CEE FG w/no DVD off the OGXBOX installer 1.5.3 disc.

Is it possible that I am using a BIOS that doesn't handle that large G partition very well?  Should I be using a different BIOS perhaps?

It is very frustrating to work on making a HDD and getting the xbox all set up and then suddenly my files are corrupt for no apparently reason when they work just fine on F.

Any insight here is greatly appreciated.

Edited by ieblj01

Same problem that @Doom87posted about.

I believe the larger than 512 GB partition was formatted using 32KB clusters instead of 64KB clusters.  Once you write more than 512 GB's of data to partition 7/G drive data corruption occurs.  The 32 bit counter used to access the data has overflowed wrapping back to 0 (e.g., FFFFFFFF + 1 = 0) - overwriting data to the start of the partition. Corrupting data previously stored there.

Thanks Kaos,

I believe you may be on to something.  I have a 500GB SSD EVO drive that prepared the same way as my 1TB drive that use for testing files before I put them over on the main unit with the 1TB drive.  If memory serves, I don't have these issues on the G partition with the smaller HDD. 

I have another 1TB EVO SSD for another unit, so I am going to check (added photo...you are the man Kaos) the partition as you suggested and redo it with 64KB clusters and see if the problem remains. 

Thanks for the insight!

20210507_082053.jpg

Edited by ieblj01
added photo

Using AID for the extended partitioning was likely the culprit.

I'm pretty sure that even the last official version of that v4.53 used XBPartitioner v1.1 or similar age tool for the formatting. Fine for C, E, X, Y, Z and F if its under 137GiB but anything bigger and it will not use the correct cluster size just as KaosEngineer suggested.

After the initial formatting and dash install using AID before doing anything else install and use XBPartitioner v1.3 in Apps to check and format the extended partitions, F and G (6 and 7 as shown by XBPartitioner v1.3).

Edited by HDShadow

Son of a #$!@&...that was it! :)  I copied over 100s and 100s of gigs of files over using FATxploer and absolutely everthing is working.  That has never happened before.  Man, I wish I had brought this up sooner.  I wasted weeks of time and effort trying to figure out why my files were corrupted.  I am just glad it is resolved!

You guys rock  :854_bangbang:

Edited by ieblj01

• 1 month later...