OGXbox.com

128mb upgrade FRAG

BlownUpTurtle

So I done a ram upgrade which resulted in a freeze, red/orange then frag (wasn’t able to test 1 by 1), removing all 4 chips didn’t fix the issue.

Attempting it again with another board, first chip was a success with xblast, second chip was installed by the cpu, xblast then froze when checking that chip and now that console is fragging, again removing that one chip doesn’t fix the issue.

Are the boards dead or is there things I can try?

Edited by BlownUpTurtle
Typo

I would remove the last chip you fitted and clean the whole board and test with Xblast, I had some chips sent to me that 2 of the 4 worked and when a asked how the chips where removed a heat gun was used to remove them,

When I do ram upgrades I do 1 chip at a time and test with a mod chip that has Xblast, when it gives a 100% pass on that chip then I do a different ram chip with a repeat test.

I start with the hardest chip (number 4) only because the heat sinks are in the way and then the rest are a walk in the park.

ram-location.png

I also don't replace the board to test it, I just test the board only like this 

Craigs-1-4-ram-upgrade.jpg

I now use a ATX supply that's modded for the 1.0 - 1.4 boards as it's safer and I now have a controller with power, eject buttons fitted that plugs in the board.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 2

Sorry for the delay in replying, I ram out of daily posts.

I used a hot air station at 350 degrees, medium airflow.

On the second board (1.4) I successfully installed a chip in section 2, it’s section 4 that caused the freeze then flag.

I then tried to reflow that one with no success eventually removing it, followed by the chip in section 2. Which it still refused to boot.

I then removed a chip from the 1.2 board, installed it in section 4 to see if a genuine chip would make any difference but unfortunately it didn’t so that one was then removed again.

One thing I did notice is some of the vias around the area got filled with solder, I don’t believe that would of caused anything would it? I sorted them out with some wick anyways but still results in frag.

The 1.2 attempts to boot and freezes on boot animation, then after restarting it flashed 50% orange/ 50% red. Restarting again results in 50% red, 50% green.

The 1.4 just flashes red and green after installing a ram chip in section 4. Same result after removing the chip.

Both are being booted with an xecuter 3.

Ive checked for bridges and there’s none from what I can see, so my only assumption is it was a faulty ram chip and has shorted something else when xblast was checking it.

Yeah, with the 1.2 I'm not sure as much about Red-Orange.

With the 1.4 it is possible to bridge the solder pads too even though the RAM is removed - if you're getting Red-Green^. I like a no-clean flux pen (still requires some cleaning), plus it just takes allot of practice.

Edited by calebTree

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update, the Chinese ram was the cause of the frag on both consoles. I’m not sure what it’s damaged but it’s certainly fried something.

I’ve used the original ram from the dead board on another and all four chips were successfully installed and work beautifully.

@SS_Daveyou said you’ve got a controller modded with pwr/eject?, Is there a tutorial for doing that? 

On 6/3/2021 at 6:47 AM, BlownUpTurtle said:

Just an update, the Chinese ram was the cause of the frag on both consoles. I’m not sure what it’s damaged but it’s certainly fried something.

I’ve used the original ram from the dead board on another and all four chips were successfully installed and work beautifully.

@SS_Daveyou said you’ve got a controller modded with pwr/eject?, Is there a tutorial for doing that? 

I have used Ram from Aliexpress with out any problems and even customer ram that I have fitted that did not work all I have had to do was replace the chip, One set of ram was branded Samung (Not Samsung) and 2 of the 4 chips worked but by replacing all 4 with new Aliexpress chips it worked fine.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

I don’t think all four chips were faulty, but one of them definitely must have been, as the second console only shorted and fragged when xblast tested the most recently installed one, the whole screen glitched out, froze then never started again, even after the ram had been removed, so I know a bridge couldn’t of been the issue anymore. Stupidly though, I’ve put all four in the same box so now I’m unsure of which one is the culprit 😂

Thank you for your help though! 

I and SweetDarkDestany  both have looked at getting a solderless adaptor to test the ram chips but the cost of the solderless jig is out of the question so at this stage the only real way is to fit the chip and then boot to Xblast.

I have tested smaller chips ( 8 and 16 pins) by holding them on the board but trying to get 100 pins to line up and connect on a used chip would be near impossible.

Cheers

SS Dave

• 2 years later...

Are you saying that used chips are not good for an upgrade? I just tried my first chip and I'm fragging. I was dumb enough to use my 1.4 Halo console too.

I sure do a lot of DUMB impulsive shit, don't I? Damn, man. lol. Why can't I just slow down... But if used RAM is no good because of alignment issues, then I wish I would have known that.