OGXbox.com

Soldering iron temperature requirement for AV port removal

TrantaLocked

I plan on installing the MakeMhz HD+ native digital mod in my 1.6. The only thing I'm concerned with is the AV port which has large solder joints. They remind me of the power jack on my laptop that I tried to replace but was unable to with my soldering iron because the solder had a higher melting point than the 450 celcius my iron is supposedly rated for. Should 450C be good for the entire job?

26 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Desoldering gun or a Head Gun is what you need for this job. And with the iron set to 450°C you are killing the via's and near traces in no time.

If you don't have the tools for the job, go and pay some one who has them and is able to do the job without killing someing.

The iron is rated up to 450C but can be set to as low as 200C. 

What do you think about the ChipQuik method? This $16 pack is supposed to make it easier with a regular soldering iron as MakeMhz shows.

Edited by TrantaLocked

2 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

It works for him so if you think you can do it, go a head and give it a try.

I use the Chipquik as well then you can keep the iron at a lower temp so less chance of PCB damage.

And as mentioned 450c it way to hot for a PCB 375c is as hot as I ever go and if 375c is not working for you then the iron is too small.

I also recommend you do not use the Xbox to practice on find a dead or old PC.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.