OGXbox.com

1.6 ATX Adapter

lizardmonkey

I want to adapt a PicoPSU to a 1.6 xbox. Just wondering if anyone has done the ATX adapting to a 1.6.

If so how did you deal with the 5V always on? I think this may be advantageous since there probably wont be quite the inrush on power on for the 5V rail.

I was thinking of either the following:

1.) Using a relay to switch between the 5VSB and the main 5V supply when switched on.

2.) Connecting the 5VSB and main 5V supply from the ATX supply.

Anyone have any thoughts?

You could diode isolate the 5 volt switched supply if it had problems turning off.

The only problem I could see using a diode would be the 0.6 volt drop on the 5 volt supply.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

You could diode isolate the 5 volt switched supply if it had problems turning off.

The only problem I could see using a diode would be the 0.6 volt drop on the 5 volt supply.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

That's why I was leaning towards the relay. Toss a capacitor across the output to handle any switching transients and call it a day. 

On 5/4/2021 at 11:21 PM, lizardmonkey said:

That's why I was leaning towards the relay. Toss a capacitor across the output to handle any switching transients and call it a day. 

What signal are you thinking of using to switch the relay as the power on signal from the Xbox is not really strong enough to switch a relay

Cheers

SS Dave

18 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

What signal are you thinking of using to witch the relay as the power on signal from the Xbox is not really strong enough to switch a relay

Cheers

SS Dave

Power on through a transistor. Yeah, I was assuming the power on signal was expecting something high impedance of 1k or greater and couldn't drive the relay directly.

Edited by lizardmonkey

On 5/10/2021 at 2:33 PM, lizardmonkey said:

So.... did you let out the magic blue smoke?????

I don't even want t talk about it... but I will.
I was running some temperature tests today on a new cooling fan/shroud setup on the slim box I'm building, and everything was fine, for about 20 mins, until the box rebooted and FRAG'd. I've no idea why, but it's looking like that MB is dead, so I've just taken a 1.6 board from a Crystal, and I'm fitting it now... But I still haven't hooked it up to the Pico PSU.
That's 2x 1.6 boards that have died on me in as many weeks. I don't think leaving them stood is very good for them, as this one that committed Xsuicide had never been powered on until a few weeks ago, and I know (OK, I'm fairly certain) it's nothing I did wrong.
I'm just about to transfer stuff to the new SSD (yeah, I know, pointless using an SSD but it was a spare one I had lying around).
I'll get back to you when I blow this one up.

• 8 months later...