OGXbox.com

SD Card to IDE adapter - Direct Motherboard Connection

lizardmonkey

With the eventual goal of creating a very slimmed down xbox I took one of the cheap SD to IDE adapters and modified it into this.

Desoldered the existing male header; soldered a female header onto the back for a direct motherboard connection. Soldered the power connection to the DVD header to keep wires from running across the board.

Unfortunately this meant the openxenium install was to tall; so that got a direct solder to the motherboard.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Very neat. 

Link the Tray_In to Neject.

This tells the mother board the DVD tray is closed and there is No disk in the drive and also stops the Eject led from flashing.

1521485784_DVDdeleatlink.jpg.1fe90921746c6bd6ae27ff6abc75117c.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Yeah, I gotta do that. Also need to make a new cable as I realized I cut the wrong end. At least it's just extra pins on the motherboard side. 

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

Very neat. 

Link the Tray_In to Neject.

This tells the mother board the DVD tray is closed and there is No disk in the drive and also stops the Eject led from flashing.

1521485784_DVDdeleatlink.jpg.1fe90921746c6bd6ae27ff6abc75117c.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The yellow cable is for power. Hacked up the DVD drive connector rather than run the molex across the board. I am using it as the main drive in the box. Doesn't seem any slower; haven't used it much yet though. 

2 hours ago, Acidmank said:

That Looks Stunning !!

So you are using this adapter as your boot HDD.?    Whats' it like for speed and can you explain the yellow wiring?

7 hours ago, lizardmonkey said:

The yellow cable is for power. Hacked up the DVD drive connector rather than run the molex across the board. I am using it as the main drive in the box. Doesn't seem any slower; haven't used it much yet though. 

It will not cause the Xbox to run slower it just some times the Xbox will think out of the blue you have pressed Eject and the front led will then keep flashing.

This is one I use while testing boards.

2067125486_DVDdeletecord.jpg.53ac45063c67b3855ad33c0e2f1ad7e8.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

9 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

It will not cause the Xbox to run slower it just some times the Xbox will think out of the blue you have pressed Eject and the front led will then keep flashing.

This is one I use while testing boards.

2067125486_DVDdeletecord.jpg.53ac45063c67b3855ad33c0e2f1ad7e8.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

I realize it will have no impact on speed; was responding to Acidmank's post.