OGXbox.com

Need help with identiyfing modchip + error 9

Dinozzy

I got myself an OG xbox a couple months back. This is my first time having one, and I made sure that it was working properly before storing it away for a thorough cleaning in the future.

So I set some time to strip down the xbox this weekend and got to cleaning every component. Dusted the motherboard and fan, reapplied thermal paste, scrubbed the rust from the shield, wiped the disk drive/hard dive and their plastic mount and cleaned up the case.

Upon reassembly, I was disappointed to see an error code 05 appearing on the screen. A quick google session informed me that the hard drive is not "locked". However, prior to the cleaning session I had verified the xbox was still working, and that I have not swapped the hard drive at all for a replacement.

Taking out the hard drive and disk drive, I tested to see if the connection was loose and discovered a new error 09. The following are the steps I have done to try to resolve the error:

Steps Outcome
Plugged out IDE cable for hard drive Error change to 07
Plugged out IDE cable for disk drive No change from 09
Swapped IDE connection from disk drive to hard drive No change from 09
Reseat all IDE connections No change from 09

The hard drive is spinning with no clicking sound, and the disk drive can still eject disk when the button is pushed.

Being new to the xbox scene, I'm unsure if the modchip has an issue to play with the error. This is an image of it: https://imgur.com/a/CGQ1C3s

From an image search, it appears to look like an aftermarket variant of Aladdin, but I'm not too sure of which version. There's a blue wire soldered to a connection on the motherboard, but the end tip is now freely dangling above it.  I'm unsure if this wire has been connected before I cleaned the mobo and the disconnection is the reason for the error.

Any help will be appreciated.

The motherboard has a focus video chip I believe, so its revision 1.4 I believe. And the error screen displayed is pretty much this.

The back of the mobo and the spot where I believe the wire has been detached from are here.

It's one of the many Aladdin modchips.

The D0 point has to be tied to ground for the modchip to work.  If the hard drive is unlocked, the stock BIOS will show error 05.  The modchip needs to be enabled - D0 grounded for an unlocked HDD to work.

The error screen link results in a 403 error permission denied:

• Your client does not have permission to get URL...

Aladdin Addvance installation in a 1.3-1.5 (forget 1.5 they don't exist):

https://web.archive.org/web/20060721035024/http://www.modchip.com/installpics/aladdinlive/aladdin13-15.jpg

Alternative D0 points for v1.0-1.1 and v1.2-1.4 (check the appropriate inset image for your Xbox revision):

1576365847_alternative-d0.jpg.2de080293a63a4ac71a7fc74654a0f2f.jpg

The D0 wire has come off 

It should be here

https://imgur.com/a/5h1KeVF

I would solder it to the alternative D0 point on the bottom of the main board for the 1.2 - 1.4 (pic on the right) and solder the other end to the screw hole (The Black Line)

901256715_D0points1.png.80389f0c81584ad40e78e0c1f54456db.png 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

On 4/26/2021 at 2:38 PM, SS_Dave said:

The D0 wire has come off 

It should be here

https://imgur.com/a/5h1KeVF

I would solder it to the alternative D0 point on the bottom of the main board for the 1.2 - 1.4 (pic on the right) and solder the other end to the screw hole (The Black Line)

901256715_D0points1.png.80389f0c81584ad40e78e0c1f54456db.png 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thank you both.

I'm new to soldering so I'm not exactly sure if my soldering works. I'm pretty sure my solder joints are really sloppy. However, I have soldered on the D0 point to the wire as instructed.

If my soldering wasn't good enough for it to be effective, please let me know.

I'm still getting a error 9 despite my efforts.

On 4/29/2021 at 3:27 AM, Dinozzy said:

I'm new to soldering so I'm not exactly sure if my soldering works. I'm pretty sure my solder joints are really sloppy. However, I have soldered on the D0 point to the wire as instructed.

If my soldering wasn't good enough for it to be effective, please let me know.

It's not the worst soldering I have seen, did you clean the spot on the board so you could see the metal before you soldered to it? Or maybe add a link like the black line  on the alternative D0 point for a version 1.2-1.4 in the pic I posted.

I thought you would have seen a Evox logo on the top left of the screen on boot so it makes me think it is still booting to the stock BIOS file.

I have seen many cries for help with Xbox's that have mod chips soldered to the main board like yours ( I my view it is just been to lazy to remove the board and fit pin header to do the job properly) and in most cases re-soldering the chip to the board fixes it.

Looking at the 1st pic you posted the solder joint on the top left (near the D0 on the board) and the bottom right look suspect to me.

On 4/29/2021 at 3:27 AM, Dinozzy said:

I'm still getting a error 9 despite my efforts.

This is the info I have for error 9 from two different sources 

What happens if you boot with the HDD disconnected? you should get error 8.

This is from Reddit

Error Code 09

Problem: Hard drive parameters are missing or incorrect.

Cause/Solution: Very uncommon error. The hard drive might be in the wrong transfer mode (PIO/DMA), or set to slave instead of master.  Replace the hard drive otherwise.

This is from the X3 install guide

Service Error 09:
Info: Hard disk parameters (PIO/DMA/or size). Certain minimum size is required for a debug BIOS. According to llamma.com, error code 09 means "Xbox motherboard is having trouble communicating with the Hard Drive...this is probably due to an ATA controller on the motherboard and not due to the hard drive itself." When the error screen appears, the light around the eject button flashes red instead of green. The disc tray will not open and the system will not boot up at all. You could also have corrupt EEPROM settings. Solution(s): Make sure the jumper is on cable select (the new hard drives have many different options that you can choose depending on the way you set the jumper ..so just check it ,make sure someone didn't get confused. Try replacing the IDE cable.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 4/29/2021 at 5:22 AM, SS_Dave said:

It's not the worst soldering I have seen, did you clean the spot on the board so you could see the metal before you soldered to it? Or maybe add a link like the black line  on the alternative D0 point for a version 1.2-1.4 in the pic I posted.

I thought you would have seen a Evox logo on the top left of the screen on boot so it makes me think it is still booting to the stock BIOS file.

I have seen many cries for help with Xbox's that have mod chips soldered to the main board like yours ( I my view it is just been to lazy to remove the board and fit pin header to do the job properly) and in most cases re-soldering the chip to the board fixes it.

Looking at the 1st pic you posted the solder joint on the top left (near the D0 on the board) and the bottom right look suspect to me.

This is the info I have for error 9 from two different sources 

What happens if you boot with the HDD disconnected? you should get error 8.

This is from Reddit

Error Code 09

Problem: Hard drive parameters are missing or incorrect.

Cause/Solution: Very uncommon error. The hard drive might be in the wrong transfer mode (PIO/DMA), or set to slave instead of master.  Replace the hard drive otherwise.

This is from some the X3 install guide

Service Error 09:
Info: Hard disk parameters (PIO/DMA/or size). Certain minimum size is required for a debug BIOS. According to llamma.com, error code 09 means "Xbox motherboard is having trouble communicating with the Hard Drive...this is probably due to an ATA controller on the motherboard and not due to the hard drive itself." When the error screen appears, the light around the eject button flashes red instead of green. The disc tray will not open and the system will not boot up at all. You could also have corrupt EEPROM settings. Solution(s): Make sure the jumper is on cable select (the new hard drives have many different options that you can choose depending on the way you set the jumper ..so just check it ,make sure someone didn't get confused. Try replacing the IDE cable.

Cheers

SS Dave

Hey, 

I just solder the D0 alternative point as well and I'm still getting error 9. Not sure if I have seen the Evox logo on the boot screen before, but it isn't showing up now at the very least.

With the HDD disconnected, I'm getting error 7 instead of 8, although I assume that both has similar/same root cause of the HDD not being reached by the system.

As for the modchip, it does look a little suspect from the back, with one of the soldered holes not properly filled in? i.e. the solder wasn't filled in through the hole and i could see the hole itself. I tried to add fresh solder to it, but I don't think that had really work. Perhaps resoldering the entire chip would be better, but I'll need to get the pin to do it over the weekend. Hopefully I won't botch that up.

I'll update again once I have done that.

12 hours ago, Dinozzy said:

Not sure if I have seen the Evox logo on the boot screen before, but it isn't showing up now at the very least.

It could be that the bios has been changed but I still think the chip is not working.

Can you post a pic of you solder work on the bottom of the board.

12 hours ago, Dinozzy said:

With the HDD disconnected, I'm getting error 7 instead of 8, although I assume that both has similar/same root cause of the HDD not being reached by the system.

Service Error 07:
Info: Hard disk timeout.

or 

Error Code 07

Problem: Hard drive timeout / HDD took too long to become ready.

Cause/Solution: The Xbox seems to know the HDD is present but it times-out waiting for the drive to become ready and respond to commands. This is probably due to a loose connection or faulty wire.

Service Error 08:
Info: No Hard disk found.

If the D0 is connected correctly and the chip is not connected the Xbox should FRAG (flash red and green)

Cheers

SS Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.,... Would i be able to explain if the D0 is at the rear of the mobo? As I just checked and there's no wires welded at the back.

Nonetheless, I did saw what could be the bound point in the second picture in the connection above. I could tape it back as I don't have a weld pen, however I don't have the foggiest idea what point is that explicitly. It's toward the front of the mobo close to C6D4

1 hour ago, KattiMini said:

Hi.,... Would i be able to explain if the D0 is at the rear of the mobo? As I just checked and there's no wires welded at the back.

Nonetheless, I did saw what could be the bound point in the second picture in the connection above. I could tape it back as I don't have a weld pen, however I don't have the foggiest idea what point is that explicitly. It's toward the front of the mobo close to C6D4

I think you are saying you have a mod chip fitted and it is giving a error on boot

If a wire has come off the board you really should post high quality picture of the main board here, you can use a picture share site (Postimages.org , imgur.com) and post the link here.

Cheers

SS Dave