OGXbox.com

Managing Cooling

IPTDF00

So I have put in an 80mm fan, did my best to shroud it to the hard drive caddy for best static pressure, and have redone the thermal paste with Arctic MX-4. But, I am still seeing around 60c temps just sitting at the dashboard while doing FTP transfers. 

What are normal idle and load temps for an OG?

And how can I help the cooling even more?

I don't know how hot it should run but, I know if it were a PC I would want CPU temps below 50 at load. That may be unrealistic in the situation of the Xbox because I build "higher" performance PCs.

Edit: I have connected the fan via molex to in theory have it running max. Before this fan, I used a 3pin but changing it to anything higher that 2x in system settings it would stop spinning.

20180608_171420.jpg

20180608_171423.jpg

20180608_173728.jpg

Edited by IPTDF00
Forgot to add information

green fan looks sick. you could put a heatsink on the MCPX chip with adhesive pads. if you did all that and the temps are 60c I am not sure. Sometimes it doesnt seem to make sense. I did the same thing to 3 xboxs (fully cleaned, thermal paste changed etc etc) and 2 of them idle at 40c, one idles at 55c no matter what. I have heard the xboxs chips are rated for 100c before the xbox shuts down, and I have a suspicion your xbox may idle at 60c yet not go over that while gaming.

• 6 months later...