OGXbox.com

Recovering dumped EEPROM.bin from HDD with corrupted dash.

Tingle64

Hello OG Xbox forums, I've worked myself into a pickle again.

The short version:

I need to get a file off of an HDD that throws an error 16 (won't boot, Corrupted dash) but still works. Can I get it off using a second Xbox and a file manager, or do I need to buy an adapter and use Xpolorer 360 to get it off?

The long Version: 

While preparing to TSOP flash my Xbox, I was copying saves over from the had drive onto a memory card for safe keeping. However when that didn't work with the UnleashX dash I tried to switch over to the default dash. This corrupted the files and now the Xbox throws an error 16 whenever it tries to boot from the HDD. Since it is an error 16 I can't boot from disc since the Xbox preforms the time check before it checks the DVD drive, and since the Xbox was only softmoded I can't just format a new drive and throw it in. From what I've found online I can use CHIMP and my working TSOP'd Xbox to recover the dash files on this second one, however I need the EEPROM.bin file. Can I get it off using a file manager that can detect both drives using the working TSOP'd Xbox, can CHIMP find the EPROM.bin file on the slave HDD and recover from that, or do I need to purchase an IDE adapter to connect my Drive to a PC via XPLORER 360 and then transfer it over to the XBOX?  

Thanks. 

If the drive that is giving error 16 is locked then without the key the drive can not be read,

You could read the EEprom contents in the error 16 Xbox with a external EEprom read/writer and get the HDD key that way. But in my experience the version 1.6 is a pain in the backside to read the EEprom without removing the chip and connecting it to a external reader/writer.

I would fit a modchip even if it is temporary to the error 16 Xbox then you can load a Installation DVD  to repair the HDD

This is one of the reasons I don't softmod and I have repaired plenty of soft modded Xbox's because files have been deleted and after they leave here it has a modchip or a re-flashed TSOP.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.