OGXbox.com

Hello, I'm Modding Again

IPTDF00

Hey everyone, just recently got back into console modding after not touching a console in 10 years. Back then I primarily messed with 360's for my friends and anyone willing to pay me. Now I am more interested in building for myself to have "The Ultimate System". Excited about learning how the scene has developed over the years and finding this community. I assume like most here, I am a gamer. I can't seem to stop playing EverQuest 2 (13 years) and I play various shooters and single player "play through" games.

In time I am sure I will have loads of questions and will look for feedback on ideas. Thus far I have 3 OG Xboxs and have TSOP'd one of them but havent really done much else.

Glad to be here. Happy Modding!

20180605_152653.jpg

20180604_221527.jpg

20180605_152700.jpg

20180119_093528.jpg

• Like 1

nice LED mods man. i always wanted to be a part of everquest, but at the time was just too busy and theres no way im starting now.... lol. the xbox is alot of fun. even if you dont play the games. a ton of resources out there, alot of it is dated and fragmented. but sites like these are finding ways to string it back together.

51 minutes ago, wikati said:

nice LED mods man. i always wanted to be a part of everquest, but at the time was just too busy and theres no way im starting now.... lol. the xbox is alot of fun. even if you dont play the games. a ton of resources out there, alot of it is dated and fragmented. but sites like these are finding ways to string it back together.

Thanks, LEDs are cheap figured id give it a shot.

Yeah EQ takes alot, I don't even want to see my characters online time because its probably close to 2 years.

13 minutes ago, Forlorn Penguin said:

Nice. That's a Hitachi DVD drive in the third pic. Those are uncommon.

For sure, TSOP flash all of your Xboxes though. Or chip them, if they're a 1.6. Make sure you also remove the clock capacitor from all of your 1.0-1.5 Xboxes, because they'll die if you don't.

I didn't realize that. I just grabbed it from another system as the Thompson that was in it was being problematic.

I have already realized the flashed bios importance, I started with just a softmod and dealing with locking/unlocking of the drive was annoying let alone worrying about issues if the drive failed. I have not done the clock cap yet because I think i want to replace it rather than remove, I just haven't researched enough to be sure.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IPTDF00 said:

I have not done the clock cap yet because I think i want to replace it rather than remove, I just haven't researched enough to be sure.

No need at all to replace it. But whether you replace it or not, still remove the current one ASAP. The longer you wait, the more likely it is to cause serious damage and there's a strong chance it's already leaking.

Edited by Forlorn Penguin

41 minutes ago, IPTDF00 said:

Thanks, LEDs are cheap figured id give it a shot.

Yeah EQ takes alot, I don't even want to see my characters online time because its probably close to 2 years.

I didn't realize that. I just grabbed it from another system as the Thompson that was in it was being problematic.

I have already realized the flashed bios importance, I started with just a softmod and dealing with locking/unlocking of the drive was annoying let alone worrying about issues if the drive failed. I have not done the clock cap yet because I think i want to replace it rather than remove, I just haven't researched enough to be sure.

i didnt realize those drives were uncommon either. i have one in a V1.0 that had a "refurbished" sticker and an X2 chip in it. nicest unit ive acquired. best dvd drive of the lot of the ones i own.

11 minutes ago, wikati said:

i didnt realize those drives were uncommon either. i have one in a V1.0 that had a "refurbished" sticker and an X2 chip in it. nicest unit ive acquired. best dvd drive of the lot of the ones i own.

The Hitachi drives can only be found in the final 1.6b revision (and not all  1.6b units have one), so they aren't that common, since they were only being made at the end of the Xbox's manufacturing run.

Your 1.0 definitely had its drive swapped if it came with a Hitachi.

Edited by Forlorn Penguin
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Forlorn Penguin said:

No need at all to replace it. But whether you replace it or not, still remove the current one ASAP. The longer you wait, the more likely it is to cause serious damage and there's a strong chance it's already leaking.

I'll get on that then. I just figured possibly replace because things like letting the clock be wrong bugs me way more than it should and it wont have a permanent plugged in home for some time (in small apartment looking for a house). It hasn't leaked yet as far as I can tell. I made sure it turned on then immediately ripped it open and checked all the caps for leaks/bulges/pops/smell. It's a 1.4 and seemed hardly ever used. I got it from an estate sale so I'm assuming it was at some grandparents for when the grand kids were there. Even had a copy of Mercenaries in it.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, IPTDF00 said:

I'll get on that then. I just figured possibly replace because things like letting the clock be wrong bugs me way more than it should and it wont have a permanent plugged in home for some time (in small apartment looking for a house). It hasn't leaked yet as far as I can tell. I made sure it turned on then immediately ripped it open and checked all the caps for leaks/bulges/pops/smell. It's a 1.4 and seemed hardly ever used. I got it from an estate sale so I'm assuming it was at some grandparents for when the grand kids were there. Even had a copy of Mercenaries in it.

xbmc leverages the internet for time (you have to tell it to tho). its common to see XBMC as dashboard. its been my peace of mind when my mind is disturbed by the details.... who wouldnt want accurate time. you are justified in your thinking. i'd rather have no clock than the wrong clock. 

39 minutes ago, wikati said:

xbmc leverages the internet for time (you have to tell it to tho). its common to see XBMC as dashboard. its been my peace of mind when my mind is disturbed by the details.... who wouldnt want accurate time. you are justified in your thinking. i'd rather have no clock than the wrong clock. 

I was not aware XBMC can take care of the clock, this interests me. However due to it not having a permanent spot its not always plugged into my network. I have been thinking about a wireless solution but have not looked hard enough to find one I like.