OGXbox.com

Do you need direct heat in order to get heat sink off?

Logh3f82

11 minutes ago, Baggashite said:

Ripping them off isn't good.

I always heat them (especially the GPU). I use the hot air from a soldering station but a good stint with a hair drier at close quarters should work, or even a hot air gun, but don't overdo it.

I have neither of those sadly. guess i'll be off to the department store for a drier. 

Run the Xbox for 10 minutes then try twisting the heat sink.

In my view and testing I have not seen the GPU temps drop with new heat sink paste, I was testing the heat sink temp with a Fluke temperature probe on the heat sink if any then the GPU heat sink was a fraction colder meaning it was not absorbing the heat from the chip as well.

And the GPU temp that is displayed on the screen is not the GPU it is the mother board temp.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

In my view and testing I have not seen the GPU temps drop with new heat sink paste, I was testing the heat sink temp with a Fluke temperature probe on the heat sink if any then the GPU heat sink was a fraction colder meaning it was not absorbing the heat from the chip as well.

And the GPU temp that is displayed on the screen is not the GPU it is the mother board temp.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I don't have any numbers to see but i just wanted to replace the paste cause the paste must be really really old right now.

27 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

People tend to get too caught up in the whole "Oh I must use Arctic silver" nonsense. I bought a box of 20 x 25g Arctic Cermamique 2 for 20 quid (pounds sterling) about 10 years ago, and I'm still using them. I've been overclocking everything for as long as I can remember, and the difference between thermal pastes is so miniscule that unless you're chasing world records, it's rarely worth changing them.

Edited by Baggashite

5 minutes ago, Baggashite said:

People tend to get too caught up in the whole "Oh I must use Arctic silver" nonsense. I bought a box of 25 Arctic Cermamique 2 for 20 quid (pounds sterling) about 10 years ago, and I'm still using them. I've been overclocking everything for as long as I can remember, and the difference between thermal pastes is so miniscule that unless you're chasing world records, it's rarely worth changing them.

I just wanna change it cause i'm sure the paste must be years and years old by this point but has anybody even tried getting some world record cooling an Xbox?

5 minutes ago, Baggashite said:

People tend to get too caught up in the whole "Oh I must use Arctic silver" nonsense. I bought a box of 25 Arctic Cermamique 2 for 20 quid (pounds sterling) about 10 years ago, and I'm still using them. I've been overclocking everything for as long as I can remember, and the difference between thermal pastes is so miniscule that unless you're chasing world records, it's rarely worth changing them.

I have read posts of people saying they spend 60 minutes lapping a OG Xbox CPU heat sink because it might be bowed/warped to me that is a waist of time when the contact area is 12mm X 10mm. I did test a heat sink one day for shits and giggles and found it 2 thousands of a inch out over the entire surface.

The best thing I have found for cooling is a clean heat sink and a clean fan.

If the heat sink needs to be removed or moves easily then replace the heatsink paste.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Logh3f82 said:

I just wanna change it cause i'm sure the paste must be years and years old by this point but has anybody even tried getting some world record cooling an Xbox?

I've certainly tried to achieve some 'record' cooling on the Xbox. What I discovered, which is pretty much what I already knew, is that it's not worth the effort.

These arrived today...

853086488_PXL_20210414_0233509741.jpg.a4881fd0abf186e041eced9129116c4d.jpg

I'm going to mount them to the heat sinks of the CPU and GPU, and monitor their temps using an Arduino. Then I'm going to do the same with this board I've just added some funky heatsinks to.

heatsinks.jpg.dcd8abdbb5c5c17a1b0d3cea995c9dd1.jpg

And I'll guarantee there won't be more than about 1 degree difference between them.

45 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I have read posts of people saying they spend 60 minutes lapping a OG Xbox CPU heat sink because it might be bowed/warped to me that is a waist of time when the contact area is 12mm X 10mm. I did test a heat sink one day for shits and giggles and found it 2 thousands of a inch out over the entire surface.

The best thing I have found for cooling is a clean heat sink and a clean fan.

If the heat sink needs to be removed or moves easily then replace the heatsink paste.

Cheers

SS Dave

I couldn't agree more, although I'd consider 2 thou quite a lot (engineering background), but I've been doing this stuff for close to 25 years, and the nonsense I see people spouting is cringeworthy. Yes, you might gain a 0.783 degree drop in temp, if you spend 4 hours lapping your sink on a piece of glass with rubbing compound... so what? Do you think your Xbox gives a shit that it's almost 1 degree cooler? Jeez... please make it stop. Like I said earlier, I can see why you might do it if you're chasing records. I did it myself for a while, but these things are mass produced, with tolerances that would scare most people if they looked into them, yet these boxes are still working 15+ years later.
Stop worrying about cooling. My PC (the one I'm typing this on) is running a 3770K, which has been running at 4.7G for the almost 10 years, and never skipped a beat. (with no lapping or special paste)
If it aint broke, don't try to fix it.

Edit to add... I spent about 10 years designing heat exchangers and intercoolers, so I know a little bit about cooling.

Edit to add #2: I'm not having a go at anybody here, just having a rant about the "You must change your thermal paste, and use the most expensive paste you can buy" nonsense.

Edited by Baggashite
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Baggashite said:

I've certainly tried to achieve some 'record' cooling on the Xbox. What I discovered, which is pretty much what I already knew, is that it's not worth the effort.

These arrived today...

853086488_PXL_20210414_0233509741.jpg.a4881fd0abf186e041eced9129116c4d.jpg

I'm going to mount them to the heat sinks of the CPU and GPU, and monitor their temps using an Arduino. Then I'm going to do the same with this board I've just added some funky heatsinks to.

heatsinks.jpg.dcd8abdbb5c5c17a1b0d3cea995c9dd1.jpg

And I'll guarantee there won't be more than about 1 degree difference between them.

bro damn , that looks niccceee, was literally on amazn trying to find to space them myself

18 minutes ago, mwmodz said:

bro damn , that looks niccceee, was literally on amazn trying to find to space them myself

The only reason I'm doing it is to 3D print a mini enclosure, with a footprint that's not much bigger than the motherboard, so unless you plan on doing something similar (or a 'slim'), it really isn't worthwhile. The original cooling setup is more than adequate.

Edited by Baggashite

I guess this is a good place to jump in regarding a question ha! With the talk of heat sinks and paste, about what is the average temp is considered normal for the xbox? For example with nothing other than the stock heat sinks and fan. I ask because I'm wondering about getting a different fan or would just playing around with the speed in the menu be just fine?

25 minutes ago, Logh3f82 said:

why would it show you the temp of the board and not the cpu/gpu?

The CPU is correct and some dashboards have called it GPU for some unknown reason and there probably no temperature sensor built in the GPU chip

On one of the Evox dashes (Blackbolt elite) it has 3 temperatures called SYS, CPU, Harddisk. To me this makes more sense.

Cheers

SS Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 7:54 PM, Logh3f82 said:

I'm thinking of cleaning the inside of my xbox but i wonder if it is save to take the sink off and if yes do i just rip it off bby force or do i need something that shoots direct heat onto it in order to get it off.

It's already been said, but the heat sink will come loose from the CPU without heat just by twisting it slightly. The GPU on the other hand will not and I would be afraid of damaging the board if force is used. A hairdryer for less than a minute is more than enough to get it to come right off with minimal effort.

That being said, there is also plenty of proof that there is little to be gained if anything by changing the thermal paste. Many will say "if it isn't broken don't fix it". That being said, I did the paste on all 3 of my modded units. The first two were 1.4 and 1.6 motherboards before I knew it made such little difference and the third was because I was replacing the GPU and heatsink on a 1.0 to eliminate the noisy fan.

Here is some GPU heat sink removal fails

This is from over 12 months ago and the person levered the heat sink off.

1416933451_GPUheatsink.thumb.jpg.f3ab7e664d141b76bfb1e7511d47d939.jpg 

This one on reddit from last week and once again no heat and just twisted (apparently)

1830077734_GPUfail.jpg.5e2f3b3db7c5d10a594c82a2f3ee7019.jpg

In my view don't touch the GPU heat sink as there is no gains to be had.

Cheers

SS Dave