OGXbox.com

Can you install a mod chip without that little board?

Logh3f82

What board do you mean? A modchip is exactly that, it's a little board you attach to the motherboard so it's impossible to install a modchip without the board. You may be thinking of softmodding, TSOP? In that case no board is necessary but it's a bit more complicated.

Edited by TheMapleMan

17 minutes ago, TheMapleMan said:

What board do you mean? A modchip is exactly that, it's a little board you attach to the motherboard so it's impossible to install a modchip without the board. You may be thinking of softmodding, TSOP? In that case no board is necessary but it's a bit more complicated.

Its this little board that i think is in a sort of z shape
but i'm talking about hard modding.

5 minutes ago, Raja said:

If you are referring it to the LPC Rebuild board, then yes. Its easier to just use wires. I used the LPC rebuild board once only and its a nightmare removing it if things do not go right. 

Are there any tutorials for that?

I wouldn't even know where to start.

I never use the rebuild board

326720438_1.6rebuild.thumb.jpg.dd71a840ce97d40d4267ae4c5cadf074.jpg

And for the D0 I cut the trace here and don't use the D0 on the modchip

833287352_1.6XboxLframe.jpg.c84ad20e1427d2a4961f4e5c1b5e73d9.jpg

On the Aladdin chip I link the BT to ground(pin 2) as this make the chip always active like the green line

I also cut the trace at R1 (yellow line) and add a link to the 3 volt supply (pin 9) this way the led is switched on and off

IMG_20200404_103218.jpg.e98d9f1a9035534dc245b75ad3bdff2f.thumb.jpg.77714f911f2b39fac85ab8ff173e371a.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Just now, Logh3f82 said:

I have an open xeniam mod chip does that install the same way as that alladin one?

Yes the only slight difference is the pin header has 2 extra pins.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Yes the only slight difference is the pin header has 2 extra pins.

Cheers

SS Dave

So then i don't have to take any pins off or anything like that? Awesome!

14 minutes ago, Logh3f82 said:

So then i don't have to take any pins off or anything like that? Awesome!

The green part was for a Aladdin chip and the blue was added for a Open Xenium.

PXL_20210412_210013005.jpg.191f6d9124cfd79a60e6aea4157c97f3.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

4 hours ago, GoTeamScotch said:

Using an LPC rebuild board is easier than soldering wires. At least in my opinion. Don't be afraid to use the board.

good to know.
i'm just waiting for the boards to come in then i can start soldering.
this is my first time doing soemthing like this so i want to make sure when i start i don't mess up

If you are fitting a Open Xenium then you can leave the track cut bit, The reason for cutting the trace is because the cheaper modchips hold the D0 to ground and that may possibly put stress on the MCPX chip on the main board where the Open Xenium only grounds the D0 at boot and then the D0 returns to normal after booting.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 10:12 PM, Logh3f82 said:

good to know.
i'm just waiting for the boards to come in then i can start soldering.
this is my first time doing soemthing like this so i want to make sure when i start i don't mess up

It is EASY to solder when the right conditions are met.

1. Use a temperature controlled iron with a tip in good shape.

2. Clean your surfaces well.

3. Always make sure your tip and wires are tinned.

4. Use flux and plenty of it.

5. Take your time. Rushing is the fastest way to make a mistake when working with small points on a motherboard.

I thought I couldn't solder for many years until I followed advice and bought a decent iron. The right tools made all the difference.

7 minutes ago, VCoupe376ci said:

It is EASY to solder when the right conditions are met.

1. Use a temperature controlled iron with a tip in good shape.

2. Clean your surfaces well.

3. Always make sure your tip and wires are tinned.

4. Use flux and plenty of it.

5. Take your time. Rushing is the fastest way to make a mistake when working with small points on a motherboard.

I thought I couldn't solder for many years until I followed advice and bought a decent iron. The right tools made all the difference.

As above

And use a 60/40 solder the lead free type solder is harder to use especially for beginners. 

Cheers

SS Dave