OGXbox.com

Two same model HDDs with different vibration and boot speed

TrantaLocked

I bought a couple used IDE Seagate 160GB ST3160215ACE drives for cloning and backup. I'm a bit disappointed though because despite them being the same model, one of them vibrates significantly more than the stock drive while the other vibrates like normal but has a longer boot to dashboard time. I tried swapping the IO chip that screws to the bottom of the drive with no difference. I also tried re-cloning with Chimp and it resulted the same way. With that second, slower boot drive, the first time I tried to clone with Chimp it showed something like "IO error" a few times and so I had to restart the Xbox and reseat everything and then Chimp went ahead and cloned with no errors. I wonder if maybe there are bad sectors that are slowing it down maybe?

You'd think it might be something like the drive being set to 5400 RPM mode in its firmware (if that's even possible), but then why would it take longer to boot than the stock WD 8GB 5400 RPM drive? So I'm not sure if I should be fine or if there's anything I can do to solve this or maybe just get another new drive? I don't like the extra vibration on the first drive but I also want a fast bootup, because the second drive adds like 10 seconds.

Edited by TrantaLocked

The date code on that model for sale on eBay show they are 10 plus years old with one showing a date code of 2007.

I would say the hard drives are on their last legs(just about to die), I remember fitting Seagate 120gb and 160gb hard drives back in 2005

Get your self a 500gb or a 1tb sata drive with a Startech Sata2Ide adaptor plus a 80 way IDE cable, Make sure you have a BIOS that supports LBA48

Is the Xbox hard modded or soft modded? In theory a hard modded (TSOP flashed, Mod chipped) should boot quicker and the bios that is used can make a difference.

I find the EvoxM8 is the quickest especially when you disable the logos and animation (Flubber), I have a 3tb(2.2 usable) that is fully loaded and boots to XBMC4Gamers from power on to ready to select a game just under 30 seconds and a 1tb that is only 50% used is around 20 seconds 

I don't even keep a HDD that is under 500gb especially if it's 10 years old.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

A SSD drive will work but it is massive overkill, as the data speed is only slightly quicker than a 5400rpm drive or maybe close to a 7200rpm HDD.

I find you can buy a brand new WD 2.5 inch 2tb hard drive from just about any where starting from $75aud and you can use the chinse Sata 2 Ide adaptor with a 80 way Ide cable and still have change from the cost of a WD 1tb SSD ($129aud) or a WD 2tb SSD at $249aud.

And a SSD can not be locked as for as I am aware so it's for hard mods only.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 2 weeks later...

For whatever reason the hard drive compatibility form isn't functioning right now so I will update with what I have:

Both my 870 Evo 250GB and WD Black WD5000LPLX 500GB locked fine with Chimp and work with both the green RXD-629A7-7 and red Startech SATA to IDE adapters on my softmodded 1.6. I did need to Install Kernel Font to prevent the every-other boot failing. Bootup and games work fine but I did notice that sometimes I need to clear my cache for games to startup faster. At least with the 870 Evo SSD, it seems the drive's caching has the opposite effect of speeding things up: for example the more I reboot Burnout 3, the slower its loading screen becomes. It's only when I switch to another game, then back to Burnout 3, will Burnout 3 then load quickly again. I don't really know why this happens but it's why I clear the cache often now.

On 4/9/2021 at 12:18 AM, TrantaLocked said:

I bought a couple used IDE Seagate 160GB ST3160215ACE drives for cloning and backup. I'm a bit disappointed though because despite them being the same model, one of them vibrates significantly more than the stock drive while the other vibrates like normal but has a longer boot to dashboard time.

The drive's most likely are using different firmware versions.

So I am reading that using a SSD is not worth it unless you do a nonstandard install ( I did need to Install Kernel Font to prevent the every-other boot failing) and now needing to regularly clearing the cache.

As for the lower heat the GPU makes the most heat followed by the CPU then the PS,

If you can hear a new HDD then your probably using the Xbox with the fan disconnected as a pillow

Cheers

SS Dave

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

So I am reading that using a SSD is not worth it unless you do a nonstandard install ( I did need to Install Kernel Font to prevent the every-other boot failing) and now needing to regularly clearing the cache.

As for the lower heat the GPU makes the most heat followed by the CPU then the PS,

If you can hear a new HDD then your probably using the Xbox with the fan disconnected as a pillow

Cheers

SS Dave

Yeah my experience is telling me to just get a regular hard drive. I did not experience the bug a guy on reddit had for the intro cutscene for Jedi Academy on his SSD but it might still occur for some people. But then yesterday I experienced a mid-race freeze in Burnout 3 that I can't for sure attribute to the SSD, but it's possible that was the cause. I'm now using the 2.5" WD Black HDD with the Startech adapter.

Now I just have the stock 8GB drive and 870 EVO on the side as backups but that wasn't my original intention as SSD for cold storage is a bad idea. Despite how old that stock drive is, it should be good for a while right? I do have my EEPROM and BIOS backed up too.

If anyone is interested in getting a 2.5" to 3.5" bracket, due to its length the green RXD-629A7-7 IDE/SATA adapter doesn't fit with most metal brackets in the plastic enclosure, and I have tested both the Sabrient and Corsair double-decker brackets with no luck. I do have the single drive corsair bracket coming in the mail that screws in from the bottom where the drive really hugs the side wall tight enough that there should just be enough room, but otherwise you would need to use supports under the SSD and screw it directly into the plastic enclosure without a bracket. The red Startech adapter is very short so it will fit with anything.

Edited by TrantaLocked