OGXbox.com

Softmod vs. Modchip vs. TSOP

willis

Softmod - Xbox is stock until the softmod loads when the dashboard files on the hard drive are accessed, so nothing can be changed until then. If your hard drive fails, you are back to unmodded. Upgrading or changing hard drive requires extra effort and understanding of the process.

Hardmod - TSOP or modchip - Xbox is modded on power on, so you can alter or disable the 'flubber' animation, disable the DVD drive requirement, and utilize an unlocked hard drive. Changing your hard drive can be as simple as installing a new one and booting an installer DVD to help set it up. 

Hardmod - TSOP - main downside vs modchip - If you make a mistake flashing it with a bad or incompatible bios, or it fails for some reason, it can be difficult to recover from. You'll probably need to install a modchip.

Hardmod - modchip - Not all, but some have multiple banks to allow selection of different bioses that you can boot from. Helpful if you make a mistake flashing a bios, or you want to boot a different one for some reason. Some modchips can connect to additional hardware like an LCD display.

Personally I like TSOP - simple and free, unless you have a v1.6, then I would prefer a modchip over a softmod. Softmods are fine though, if you are okay with the limitations - they work.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, willis said:

Anyone have a strong opinion on which they prefer and why? I went with the softmod, but what are the pro's / con's of this compared to other methods? Especially modchips.

As mentioned Soft mods work but if some thing fails or goes wrong and you don't have copy of the HDD key then you need to fit a modchip or muck around reading the data from the Eeprom on the main board then muck around making and locking the HDD.

I TSOP flash all version 1.0 - 1.4 boards and fit a mod chip to the 1.6 boards., With a hard mod (TSOP flash, Mod chip) the hard drive can be used unlocked and a soft mod the hard drive needs to be locked.

With a unlocked hard drive you can connect it to a PC and transfer files that way compared to FTP

FTP will take around 3 or 4 days to copy 1.8tb of files to the hard drive and FatXplorer on a PC just under 24 hours, or if you are making several Xboxs you can use a stand alone HDD cloner and copy a 2tb HDD in around 4 hours.

Mod chip wise the Aladdin chip is more that adequate for most users as I have found 90% only want to load games, So I use the KISS principle (Keep It Stupid Simple).

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1