OGXbox.com

Replace 1.0 GPU fan with IGP heatsink?

Paulius

Hello, I picked up a modded 1.0 Xbox and I find the amount of system noise to be more than I want to tolerate. One mod that I heard mentioned was that the gpu heat sink and fan can be replaced with a passive solution that uses a ‘IGP’ heatsink.  I can’t find good details on this. Does the OGXbox community have experience with this that can be shared? If this is a viable solution, can someone point me to a tutorial or provide details?

I didn't know what an IGP heatsink was before I just looked it up (Integrated Graphics Processor) but I do know you can successfully and effectively replace the v1.0 fan and heatsink with the larger passive heatsink used in later versions. I've done that myself, no problem.

If you're asking about using some other third party passive heatsink I'd guess it is possible but how you'd attach it would likely be a problem. To use the intended securing strap it would have to be significantly physically modified. I believe heatsinks for the Raspberry Pi are self adhesive but whether such a solution would be suitable for the Xbox GPU I don't know.

Maybe the v1.0 Xbox used some, at the time, 'standard' heatsink design but I don't think so. It has an unusual 40mm x 50mm size plate, difficult to measure with a ruler but seems to be roughly 3.5mm thick with about 3mm wiggle room all round. The thickness of the base would be a particular issue if using the existing method of attaching it.

Thanks for the reply HDShadow, 

so, just to confirm, the strap and heatsink form later revisions attaches natively to the 1.0 version?  The strap in version 1.0 doesn’t have the same appearance as the straps in the later versions.  Can you confirm that the strap doesn’t need any further modification? And will attach without issue?  Or do I simply use the existing strap, but with the later version heatsink?

While researching further, I came across a few separate reddit pages where posters claim the v1.0 gpu fan is not necessary at all, even with the existing smaller heatsink.  The gpu fan was simply removed and the system operated as normal without adding a larger heatsink and without any issues. Only warning was to not operate the box in tight cabinet space and ensure new thermal paste.

has anyone else done this too and can confirm no issues?

Hey I have a few 1.0 Xboxs with the fan on GPU. The fan on motor shaft is just held by magnet. You can pop of the fan very easily. I have put in a a drop of synthetic 0w20 motor oil in the bushing hole and snapped the fan back on. Never hear any sound from these fans anymore. They been running now for over a year and still no noise.

Thanks Raja, 

I’ll look into servicing the existing fan when I reopen the case.  

I tried searching this topic on this site before posting but didn’t find any info.  I’ve since found a few threads on this site that discuss the V1.0 gpu fan.  (Via google searches). The consensus seems to be that you could operate a V1.0 as-is minus the gpu fan, but many felt it better to swap heatsink from a v1.1 to 1.6 to be on the safe side.

So, I'll look to pickup one from a parts machine and try that option.

2 hours ago, Paulius said:

Thanks Raja, 

I’ll look into servicing the existing fan when I reopen the case.  

I tried searching this topic on this site before posting but didn’t find any info.  I’ve since found a few threads on this site that discuss the V1.0 gpu fan.  (Via google searches). The consensus seems to be that you could operate a V1.0 as-is minus the gpu fan, but many felt it better to swap heatsink from a v1.1 to 1.6 to be on the safe side.

So, I'll look to pickup one from a parts machine and try that option.

I would not run the 1.0 without fan on the 1.0 GPU heat sink.
You can 3D print some brackets to fit a new fan on the heat sink or use the bigger heat sink from the later versions.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1