OGXbox.com

Broken ,,A'' buttnon. Pls help

Hari125

Hi! I opened my xbox controller s to clean it with 95% alcohol and eventually cleaned the black part (where A,B,X,Y,black,white buttons are) with it. I didn't know it was touch digitizer ;-;

After i assembled and tested it, the A and X buttons weren't working propertly. The X needed a lot of pressure to work and the A didn't worked at all. After 2 days the X button worked, but it still needs little pressure to work, but the A is like stone dead.

Any suggestions? Are there any pins to short so i can simulate button push and eventually to add normal button to work as A.

I've always recommended not to use isopropyl alcohol (IPA)/rubbing alcohol for a lot of cleaning purposes, particularly plastics. I did a bit of research on this a few years ago along with recommendations for lubricating plastic components too. The bottom line is you have to be careful what you use for either purpose.

I'd question the need to clean controller button contact pads at all. The soft rubberized material may be real or synthetic rubber but in either case I wouldn't use any volatile cleaning agents as they might affect its material properties which are essential to its correcting functioning.

As for the electrically conductive coating - I wouldn't touch it. Physical abrasion or some adverse chemical reaction could cause damage.    

With circuit boards 99% IPA is apparently safe for cleaning purposes and used by manufacturers too because it evaporates quickly.

Rubbing alcohol which is usually about 70% IPA is said to be OK but it has other ingredients including water which may make it not as electronics friendly. Some sources suggest it can be used to disinfect electrical appliances - although from what they don't say and as 99% IPA is going to be more effective one wonders why diluted IPA is being recommended even for that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Take a #2 lead pencil and rub it on the conductive pad (now non-conductive after you cleaned it - removed the carbon) to add back conductive material where you removed it.  How well this fix works, ???  But, I've heard others have done so and it fixed their controller.

You saved my life.

I rubed pencil on the conductive pad where the A and X button are sitting and pasted some thin tape to secure the graphite. After that i closed the controller to test it and it worked! The X started working normally as before and the A (that was dead) started working TOO, but it needs a lot of pressure to work. I'm really thankfull that at least is working. Maybe i will end up buying the chungus duke controller (i like it).

Here is how turned out:

image.thumb.png.12d55889effddb9e762884910f2fdf21.png

image.png.548006f5990ca3a678cf966819d8cec4.png

18 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Take a #2 lead pencil and rub it on the conductive pad (now non-conductive after you cleaned it - removed the carbon) to add back conductive material where you removed it.  How well this fix works, ???  But, I've heard others have done so and it fixed their controller.

Also i added a bit of metalic foil on the rubber. That way the A button is easier to press.

image.thumb.png.2be5ce6ca458e3333f0f662892910169.png

• Like 1

The original Xbox controllers were/are far better than the Sony Dualshocks in this respect. I've had probably four or five Dualshock or Dualshock 2 rendered unusable because of contact pad wear and tear. Quite literally the latter - the rubberised pimple would actually split around its edge, particularly the Square and X buttons which get the most use. 

Only way to deal with it was/is to replace the pad.

• Like 1