OGXbox.com

VGA cable?

BlackIvan

Hi everyone ✌️

I bought a new monitor for my pc-ps2-xbox setup and it has HDMI and VGA input. I am using a little composite to HDMI converter but the quality is just horrible, so I was thinking about making a component to VGA cable (hoping my monitor supports sync on green) since I have some spare cables laying around. I couldn't really find anyone doing this kind of thing (except coupl of viedos) but saw some being sold online, so I assume it vould work. Anyone knows how to wire such a cable? Do you suggest to try it out or to buy an RGB to HDMI converter?

Thank you!

Composite to HDMI is only converting the low-res 480i (interlaced) video out of the Xbox to HDMI.  It will look BAD!

You need at least a high-definition AV pack or component cable with a component video-to-HDMI converter.

There's also ChimericSystems' HDMI adapter for the Xbox or MakeMHz's internal HDMI adapter.

17 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Composite to HDMI is only converting the low-res 480i (interlaced) video out of the Xbox to HDMI.  It will look BAD!

You need at least a high-definition AV pack or component cable with a component video-to-HDMI converter.

There's also ChimericSystems' HDMI adapter for the Xbox or MakeMHz's internal HDMI adapter.

Tank you! I have a good component cable, so you suggest to go for a component to HDMI converter? Is there no way I could translate the RGB signal to VGA just by soldering a new cable by myself?

You can make a VGA cable (edit: and use it with) a custom modified VGA BIOS for the Xbox.

The Frosty VGA Bios comes to mind (read any documentation to make sure that this BIOS is compatible with your modchip and Xbox's video encoder chip.  Microsoft used three different video encoders in the production of the Xbox:

• Conexant
  • Focus
  • Xcalibur 

The schematic of a VGA cable is shown in this image which includes all Xbox AV cable configurations: https://imgur.com/odRIA8b

The LM1881N video sync separator chip is used; however, there are other newer and smaller devices that can be used instead of that chip.

Note: The VGA cable configuration in the posted image does not have any audio output connected.  Refer to the previous configurations for the location of connections of stereo analog outputs (left and right).  Digital audio is also available on the Xbox's AVIP connector.

AVIP pinout - https://imgur.com/5gqHxnc

Edit: Reworded content.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

You can make a VGA cable if you use a custom modified VGA BIOS for the Xbox.

The Frosty VGA Bios comes to mind (read any documentation to make sure that this BIOS is compatible with your modchip and Xbox's video encoder chip.  Microsoft used three different video encoders in the production of the Xbox:

• Conexant
  • Focus
  • Xcalibur 

The schematic of a VGA cable is shown in this image which includes all Xbox AV cable configurations: https://imgur.com/odRIA8b

The LM1881N video sync separator chip is used; however, there are other newer and smaller devices that can be used instead of that chip.

Note: The VGA cable configuration in the posted image does not have any audio output connected.  Refer to the previous configurations for the location of connections of stereo analog outputs (left and right).  Digital audio is also available on the Xbox's AVIP connector.

AVIP pinout - https://imgur.com/5gqHxnc

its not true VGA output.

Xbox does have RGB and HV sync. Sega chihiro uses same board as Xbox and has VGA output without bios mods with original plug wiring.

On 4/4/2021 at 7:46 AM, KaosEngineer said:

A company Neoya ages ago sold an X2VGA adapter cable and X2VGA2 component video to VGA converter box.

No special modified Xbox VGA BIOS required.

Yup I have one of those but they don't play well with 1.6 boxes. Gives you an irritating purple tint on the whole image output.

Many thanks to you all! Seems to be possible but maybe not really worth the effort, expecially since HDMI mods work well and can be really cheap... I'm going to try this thing out anyway just because I have old cables wich I'll never use again.

Thank you all again for the usefull infos!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlackIvan said:

You mean those you can find on ebay for like 5$? Yes, I could definitely buy one and try, before soldering a cable by myself. Thanks!

they are not transcoders, it's only plug adapter. Transcoder cost about 50$.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=59613

pretty much, we need to ask makemhz to release VGA output chip.